Thread: Any experience with this?

Any experience with this?

Gidget had what apparently was a UTI. After taking her to the emergency vet for $108.00 and getting no help except them taking her temp and telling me it was a UTI and should clear on its own (already posted about this), then brought her to our regular vet to spend the day and be observed again took temp did exam and all seemed well ($70.00) She spent 10 days on Clavamox ($16.00), ending this past Friday. I don't mind spending the money, but no one seems all that concerned and I hate to keep traumatizing her with the car ride and the vet if it isn't necessary. She has been eating very well, going to the litter box (I have observed and she has urinated well and had bowel movements, no straining or pain), she is running around and playing, she is very alert and drinking water. Everything is normal except I noticed yesterday and a couple times last night and this morning that she has a tiny bit of vaginal discharge (I saw it on the cover she was laying on, very minimal). It doesn't seem to bother her, she is not licking other than her normal bathing and doesn't seem bothered by it, only by me picking her up continuously to observe what is going on in that area (usually nothing, it is clean). Maybe it is normal, maybe she always has this, maybe it is a "Kitty Period", she is not spayed. After what she went through with her C-Section we didn't want to put her through anything more. Anyway, has anyone else ever had this situation after a UTI? I noticed it one day last week while still on the meds and called the vet, they said it could be that the infection wasn't completely gone and if possible when done the medication to get a urine sample. That is impossible, at least so far. Anyway, I am watching her closely and if I notice it getting worse or any changes in her behaviour I will call the vet again, but was hoping someone else might be able to share some information. Thank you.

Thanks so much kittycats_delight for the beautiful siggy and avatar of my kids!

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    If she isn't spayed, pyometra is a very real (and potentially deadly) reality! It stands for infected uterus, and if she isn't spayed she can go downhill very fast. Also not spaying her can set her up for cancers of her reproductive system, mammary tumors etc. The more heats a cat endures, the more chances she could end up with problems like these down the road. If she has vaginal discharge it could mean she has 'open pyometra' which is better than 'closed pyo' where toxins and infection build up very fast. Cats normally don't have periods or bloody discharge like dogs do when in heat. I'd have her checked over, and spayed to avoid problems.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Jan is right. If she's not spayed, it's probably Pyometria, which can be deadly. Pyometria causes a smelly discharge. It is an infection of the uterus. The only cure is spaying.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thanks for the advice. It isn't a smelly discharge at all, so maybe it isn't that, but she is getting dropped off first thing in the morning tomorrow for tests, bloodwork etc., whatever they need to do to determine the cause and the solution. She has been through so much and I hate to leave her, but hopefully she knows it is being done for her own good. They will be just about closing up when I get out of work and get home, her vet didn't think it was an emergency since all her other signs are good at the moment and where if it is Pyometra and she has the discharge at least it is "open" which is the better of the 2 alternatives. He felt that she would be OK until morning. I won't bring her to the emergency vet again, they didn't help me when this problem initially occured.

Thanks so much kittycats_delight for the beautiful siggy and avatar of my kids!

I'd go back to the original vet and insist on a refund for their misdiagnosis. I think if you put up enough of a stink, they'll give it to you. Tell them you're going to report them to the Better Business Bureau. I'd also maybe get the media involved. The one thing that businesses hate is negative publicity! It's bad for business.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I just had my Kitty, Emma spayed and they found she also had pyometra. Although she never had kittens, this can still occur with any cat that is not spayed. It was also discovered that her sister, Caroline had no uterus at all when she was spayed.

"Always make the audience suffer as much as possible"