Thread: Taking care of kittens is a lot more work...

Taking care of kittens is a lot more work...

than I thought it would be. These babies have been up every hour on the hour and it is now 3 AM. I had to go get a new bottle at 2:30 as the nipple kept pulling out of the top and leaking all over the place Poor babies probably thought I was trying to starve them to death. I just fed and pottied them so hopefully I can sleep for at least 3-4 hours.
    Sarah, meowmie of Whisper, Shadow, Callie and red-eared slider, Kahn

Thank you CatNapper for the beautiful siggy!

It IS alot of work. When I had the four babies last year, they didn't need help pottying..but had to have KMR with their wet food...Pee Pee would only eat if I gave it to her...and it was a ton of work. I can't imagine all you have to do!

A BIG THANK YOU from the kittens. I know they really appreciate your care and love.

Hugs,
    Kelly
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Yup, LOTS of work. I've done a few sets of bottle babies and only for a weekend. I won't do it for anything longer than that. I appluad those that do!

LOTS of hard work, and what a mess it can be too! Hang in there, before long they will be swimming in there food on their own!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Well lucky for me and them, this is only a weekend thing. I get freaked out if I don't think they've eaten enough. I feel as if I'm constantly wiping to get them to go potty. Poor guys...they are awfully cute.

The one that has me worried is the runt. She's VERY small and only eats about a mL/meal. Is this okay? I would guess they are only about a week old at this point and I just want to make sure they make it to their 20th birthdays.

Also, the large black male has diarrhea. Is this normal?

They also make sure cute noises when they are feeding. "MMMurp." I love them.

I've just realized how much work they can be since getting Little Orphan Annie three weeks ago! And I've only had ONE little one to take care of. (Shadow was already weaned and litter box trained when Annie came to us.) I can't even imagine what it would be like to have more than one at a time to care for. They need SO MUCH care when they are that tiny.

But you are apparently doing a good job. I hope you will get to see them and be around them when they are a little older, weaned and litter box trained, so you can see them in that stage! It will make every minute of the time you spend with them now, caring for them, even more worthwhile. They are just so CUTE!
    Rest in Peace, dear Oreo: April 20, 1997-July 18, 2011
    :Rest in Peace, beautiful Sandi: March 18, 1994-January 23, 2010

::
    Rest in Peace, sweet Angel: July 1, 2001-May 14, 2009

Deb

But all,of that hard work,will be worth it,when The Kittens,are Big Enogh,to be on thier own,and the Pride,that you will feel,for helping them,through this ordeal,will make it all worth while.

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Originally posted by CalliesMom
    Well lucky for me and them, this is only a weekend thing. I get freaked out if I don't think they've eaten enough. I feel as if I'm constantly wiping to get them to go potty. Poor guys...they are awfully cute.

The one that has me worried is the runt. She's VERY small and only eats about a mL/meal. Is this okay? I would guess they are only about a week old at this point and I just want to make sure they make it to their 20th birthdays.

Also, the large black male has diarrhea. Is this normal?

They also make sure cute noises when they are feeding. "MMMurp." I love them.
    diarrhea can be a sign of worms, or parasites.
    Have they been to Vet for worming meds? (a fecal exam is uneccessary, just go ahead and treat for worms)

I don't know how old they are.

I've never cared for kittens younger than 5 weeks. By then, they are starting to 'clean up'. Not so much food on the face or p**p on the butt.

I have had several 8 week olds.

I'm working my there, to the tiny ones and maybe a queen and her litter one day.

They haven't been to a vet yet. I'm not sure but I thought at their age they would still be too young for deworming? The runt still has her umbical cord attached and their eyes are still closed. They have done so well this weekend, that a part of me is very devastated I have to give them back. The black male has been making some sniffing sounds so I hope that he is not getting a URI. He has been eating, pooping, and peeing so those two ends work well. I don't think I've heard him sneeze, but am concerned about the sniffling.