Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bad, BAD, foster mommy. :(

bad, BAD, foster mommy. :(

You may not know this, but foster Ming is STILL living under my sofa. It is a high legged piece of furniture, so I have easy access to petting her and do so daily. But it was not until this morning (she has been here 3 1/2 weeks) that I realized that she must not be coming out from under the sofa at ALL.

I, like a good foster mom, placed a litter box right next to the sofa when she accidentally went on the floor under the sofa..........I, like a good mom, placed food under there where she could reach it easily............but I, like a complete and total idiot never for one minute thought she was not coming out to drink.

This morning when I pet her, I realized that she felt dehydrated. After panic, I placed a water bowl under the sofa and she drank like crazy. OMG! How could I have been so stupid?

I am taking her in to the vet at 4:45 today for possibly fluids, a check up and maybe some blood work to rule out any illness. But I am certain it will all lead back to me and my not thinking.

I am so sorry.

Jen,

Don't blame yourself! You've got alot going on with all your other cats as well. I never would've thought about it either. I would've figured that she was coming out at night when it was quiet to eat and drink. It's not your fault!

Let us know how she does at the vet.

(((((hugs)))))))

Donna

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

You've got alot going on with all your other cats as well
    People might say "too much" perhaps.

You aren't a bad Foster Mommy. You tried to keep everything on hand for her and you would think she would venture out at some point. Poor little Tyke! I don't know what you were feeding her, but if it is moist food there is some water content in that. Please let us know how the vet visit goes.

Thanks so much kittycats_delight for the beautiful siggy and avatar of my kids!

I would have assumed she would be coming out at night too. Maybe she was and had just stopped recently for some reason. With all your cats I know you are an excellent Meowmie and I know all will go well at the vets.. Let us know. Debbie

Poor wee thing! She must be seriously nervous not to even be coming out at night! Good luck at the vet. If anyone can persuade the little sweetie to accept human company, I'm sure you can!

I agree with others. It is hard to imagine a cat not even coming out to drink! She could not possible have gone over three weeks without water. Poor Ming...poor you....

I'M AT LOSS?? I'VE NEVER HAD A FOSTER THAT DIDN'T SNEAK OUT AT NIGHT... HOW COULD YOU HAVE KNOWN? I WOULD FEEL GUILTY TOO...BUT AT LEAST YOU CAUGHT IT NOW SHE'S FINE!!
    DID I MISS A THREAD ABOUT HER? WHERE'S SHE FROM? WHY'S SHE TO SCARED TO LEAVE THE COUCH?

WHEN DAISY CAME AS A FOSTER SHE HID/LIVED IN MY CLOSET FOR 4 MONTHS!! SHE PROVED WAY TO NUEROTIC TO REHOME, SO CONSEQUENTLY, SHE LIVES HERE

BUT EVEN SHE MUST HAVE COME OUT OCCSIONALLY FOR NOURISHMENT... BECAUSE, I'D SEE HER DARTING AROUND. SHE STILL DOES EVEN THOUGH SHE'S BEEN HERE A YEAR...

PLEASE KEEP US POSTED ON THE DREADED 'VET VISIT'
    KITTY FRIEND
    TAKE CARE, GOD BLESS
    MULTICATMOM

JEN,YOU MUST HAVE ASSUMED,AS MOST PEOPL WOULD,TAHT A CAT,IF SHE WAS THIRSTY,WOULD NOT BE SO AFRAID,AS TO DENY HERSELF,SOME WATER,THIRST,IS ONE,OF OUR MOST BASIC DRIVES.POOR KITTY,WE HOPE,THAT SHE IS ALL RIGHT.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Jen,

I know its hard, but try not to be so hard on yourself. How were you to know she wasn't coming out at night....most do!!

You're doing the right thing, that's all that matters.

Hugs,
    Kelly
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
    I agree with others. It is hard to imagine a cat not even coming out to drink! She could not possible have gone over three weeks without water. Poor Ming...poor you....
    I agree. Jen, please don't feel bad. She must have come out once in a while. I mean, even lions and zebras will drink from the same watering hole when they are very thirsty. She was must so terrified if she hasn't been venturing out. Poor baby. If anyone can teach her about love, it's you!
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Jen, really, must I come and slap you on the back of the head? How could this be your fault? I too would have gone on the assumption that she would come out for food, water, a good stretch at some point during the day. Never would it occur to me that she exclusively sought refuse under the couch and never ventured out.

Now repeat after me: How could I have known? I am NOT a bad foster mom! I am a GOOD foster mom! If I don't stop kicking myself, catnapper will come up here and kick me for real!

{{{HUGS}}} Jen. It was one of those things where you had no way of knowing. She didn't do this the last time you had her, so why would you think that she would do it this time?

The vet visit

Ming is FINE! Not dehydrated. She has not lost weight. Teeth, ears, heart, etc, very good. Confirms that she is under 3 years old. Nothing (except an excess of shedding). The VET combed hor for me. ME!! The pet groomer. (LOL)

So, as long as her food and water and litter are close enough, she will be fine.

She is not really afraid of people. Shy, yes, but not really scared. Actually, Pumpkin, another foster cat, chases her. BAD Pumpkin!

But the promissing news is that she will be having a visitor tomorrow. Someone who might adopt her.

Well, at least now we KNOW that she is fine. (and it only cost me $25.60)

That's great to hear her vet visit went so well!

Glad to hear all is well. So she MUST have been coming out at night. See??? You worry too much. But don't feel bad, I'd have done the same thing.

Kim is right, MUST we come and slap you upside the head????

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!