View Poll Results: Should I testify as a witness?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Its time to do something about it!

28 70.00%
  • No... its not your fight, the cops should be doing it

12 30.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I or Shouldn't I?

Should I or Shouldn't I?

There is a one-way alley right behind my house. Its increasingly becoming a two-way lane -- illegally. I can't tell you how many times I've seen near accidents, or how many times *I've* almost become the near accident (in both the car and while walking Nicki)

Anyway, tonight I was outside and a guy in a motorcycle approached the exit to the alley. Or should I say Entrance since he was exiting out the wrong way. I called over to him "Hey, thats a one way" He looked at me, then chose to ignore me. He sat there for long enough for me to get my camera, walk behind him and snap a photo. I don't know if he was aware of me and my camera though. Just as I snapped a closeup of his license plate, a mini van went around the corner then tried to get up the alley. This motorcycle guy was almost roadkill. The mini van stopped in time, and the motorcycle guy backed up. I called the cops because we are TIRED of this. Its DAILY, and will get worse once the 55 townhomes are built down the street--the only access to these new townhomes will be this one way alley and the two lane street in the front of my house.

I called the cops and they said that THEY can't do anything, but if I chose to, I can give him a description of him and his vehicle. I aksed him if a photo would be preferred He said Yes, and said but even then they can't do anything unless I decide to show up at court as a witness. The guy would get 3 points on his license and over $100 in fines. Part of me WANTS to go through with this and actually show up in court to testify against him. Part of me feels its such a hassle. What good will it really do? If I do this, I'd want to do it for ALL the idiots who knowingly exit the wrong way because they are too lazy to go out the other way. I hate the people who whine about things, then don't do anything about it. Ive been whining about this one way for ages. Now's my chance... but is it worth it? What if they guy gets mad at me and wants to make ME pay for his mistake?

Then if I DO do this, and do it enough, the township might realize there's money to be made by having patrol cars posted here waiting for the people going the wrong way. They already sit out front of the house making a fortune on the people running the stop sign. Then they would patrol the alley and I wouldn;t have to worry about it anymore.

So what do you think? Yes, prosecute the guy? Or No, its too much of a hassle?

Kim,I think someone has to stand up and do something even when the polie won't. I mean if it takes having to go to court a couple of times to get the point across then so be it and besides you could end up saving lives by finally making people stand up and notice.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

I say go for it girl! If there are near accidents daily, then I think you should go to court. Maybe this case could lead to something, that might mean, a safer place for you, (Nicki) and your neighbors. Maybe they can even build a bigger highway to the townhomes that are being built...? Go for it girl!!
    DeviantArt
    Beth-
    Maggie [lab x germanshepherd], Autumn [Cattle dog x chow], C.P. [Domestic short hair] Henry [domestic short hair] Mittens [siamese/ x ], Buck [paint horse], Indy [Paint horse]

Re: Should I or Shouldn't I?

Originally posted by catnapper
    What if they guy gets mad at me and wants to make ME pay for his mistake?
    That would be my only worry, to doing something. I know it would most likely put a stop to me, but that's because I have been on the other end of someones anger, for turning them in. Sense he knows where you live, that worries me. People now day and their rage, I don't trust them.

It is a good cause, but I had to vote no, from my own fears, more then anything. I want you to feel safe and be safe, in your home.

But if the cause is worth it to you, do what you feel is right.

I'm extremely paranoid and would be afraid this guy might want a little revenge. On the other hand I'd love to say I was brave enough to do it.

I can't vote, I'm torn but whatever you decide it's something you should feel comfortable with. Good luck.

From Decker with Love

I'd do something, Kim. The next person thats hit could be you or a family member.

GOOD for you for not ignoring this. We need more people like you...
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Instead of trying to battle one person against 100's who are doing the exact same wrong activity, why don't you take it up with the town/city. Keep writing letters, write letters to the newspaper pointing out the hazards, etc.; bring it up at a Town Meeting, etc. It probably will be more effective in the long run.

Originally posted by Cookiebaker
    Instead of trying to battle one person against 100's who are doing the exact same wrong activity, why don't you take it up with the town/city. Keep writing letters, write letters to the newspaper pointing out the hazards, etc.; bring it up at a Town Meeting, etc. It probably will be more effective in the long run.
    This is what happened in my old neighborhood. Alot of people would speed through our 25 mph zone, because it was a really wide street. I guess you could say, we won, but we ended up with speed bumps, extra signs everywhere, etc. It used to be a nice little suburb, that turned into downtown. I don't know what to tell you.

~siggy by LEXILOVER~thanx~

Originally posted by Cookiebaker
    I think this would definitly be the better option.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our life whole

I'd say go ahead and do it, but if you do you should do it to everyone who does it. Even though you warned the guy, theres no good reason to just target him making his life hell and not everyone else whos doing it in a larger vehicle, actually making that more dangerous.

I'd show up at some sort of community meeting and bring up the issue. Perhaps they can put those thing up that puncture tires if you drive the wrong way over them. That would stop people quick.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Why don't you see if they would put some of those tire prongs for people going the wrong way? That would show them!!!hehe
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I've talked to the township MANY times before. They don't give a hoot about that alley. You should see the pot holes. Only when I threatened to make them pay for my tires if one should blow from a pot hole did they come and fix them... and they only fixed the ones I'd hit! I really do think that once they REALLY see how many cars exit out there that they'll realize money's to be made from posting a cop there. Honestly, between the stop sign out front, and this alley, there's more than enough traffic to provide fulltime salary and benefits for two officers! When they post cops at the stop sign out front, they pull over at least 3 cars an hour - at over $100 in fines per stop? woohoo, thats money the township is making!

Back to the township not caring about the alley... they're too concerned about my 10" tall dandelions to care about a life threatening one way alley. Have I mentioned my township's priorities are a bit messed up?

I am not targeting that guy because he was a motorcyclist -- he was just the first I'd bothered to photograph and ask the cops what can be done. I have called the cops before, but never had a license plate number or anything. If I start doing this, I'd bet that if I set up post in my driveway for even an hour, I'd come away with two or three cars to testify against. Its that bad. I'm that fed up with it that I'm seriously considering setting up a chair, propping feet up while waiting for people to drive down the alley. I might even get a sign that says "Smile for the camera"

Oh but the township would frown on that sign!
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Not meaning to make light but how tall would the sign be?

I'm not sure what to say. My first inclination is to say go for it, but I'd be afraid for my safety too.