Thread: Murmur

Murmur

We just took our LB, male, 4 year old domestic cat to the vet for an annual and shots yesterday.

The vet detected a heart murmur. He said to watch how he behaves and then get a cat cardiologist if he shows symptoms.

Does anyone here have experience with cats with heart murmurs? My niece said she has had two with that trouble and they both lived long lives without treatment. He has always seemed active and normal to us and is sweet and affectionate.

Perhaps it is fairly common.

Thanks.

Treybabe
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I loved reading: Cat Stories by James Herriot who wrote the All Creatures Great and Small series.

Thankfully I do not have any experience with that, but I am sure that you will be hearing from PTers that do. Best of luck and hope your baby has many happy healthy years ahead!

Thanks so much kittycats_delight for the beautiful siggy and avatar of my kids!

Hi there Treybabe. First, I'm glad to hear that your niece's cats had long lives without treatment. I like positive stories like that.
    I was so scared when my heart kitty Marius was diagnosed with a murmur. He has a fairly high-grade murmur, so the vet has me watching him and will be doing a recheck every 6 months to see if anything has changed.

You can see the thread about his murmur here:
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...d+heart+murmur

**hugs**

Our Duffy was diagnosed with a murmur 2 years ago - when he was 5 years old.

He had a cardiac ultrasound and was seen by a cardiologist. The diagnosis was - innocent murmur. He gets anxious, in a twit, when he goes to the Vet - and the murmer becomes evident. No further treatment, no meds -

I wish for you the same.

Thanks, Wolflady and Grace.

LB, our boy kitty who just got diagnosed with a heart murmur gets really nervous when he goes to the vet also. I am wondering if that is why the heart murmur showed up. It never has before and he seems fine. It was also another vet and my husband had to wait an hour for him. That might have caused the tension in our kitty boy to mount.

Anyway, we'll have him checked again in a few months and see how he is. Right now he is all over the laptop P.C. and me and seems A-OK.

My little sweetie though.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I loved reading: Cat Stories by James Herriot who wrote the All Creatures Great and Small series.