Thread: My new alarm clock . . .

Hybrid View

My new alarm clock . . .

. . . is a WOODPECKER!!!

At first it was funny . . . now it's getting old.

There is this woodpecker that I used to notice on the tree across from our townhouse. Now for some strange reason, it pecks on the SIDE OF OUR TOWNHOUSE! Which makes NO sense at all, since there's vinyl siding on the exterior! I have no idea what he's trying to get to . . .

Anyway, he starts at about 6 every morning . . .

Saturday morning it started and since Saturday is our day to sleep until at least 9, hubby got up & pounded on the wall! That shut him up!

But he was back the next morning!

Anybody know much about woodpeckers? And why in the heck is he pecking on our siding?
    -christa

~RIP Abby Jan 14, 1995 - July 21, 2005~

*correction* He is a "vinylpecker" a new species of bird! Sorry, but I had no advice, so opted for dry humor instead!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Originally posted by kimlovescats
    *correction* He is a "vinylpecker" a new species of bird! Sorry, but I had no advice, so opted for dry humor instead!
    OK, you're right, a vinylpecker! I *try* my best to find the humor in it . . . LOL . . . but after a few weeks of waking up to his LOUD pecking sound . . . I just wonder if he's doing any damage. Ah well, I don't like my landlord anyway! he he he!

I think I'll go out and try to see today. I just can't imagine what he's pecking on?!?!?
    -christa

My parents had this happen once....but they have stained cedar siding so it makes a little more sense. I have no idea what they ever did about it though, but maybe can you tie something up there that would blow in the wind and maybe scare him away? Maybe just something like a dishtowel or hand towel? Although it should be light enough to flap in the breeze. Other than that I have no idea what you could do to get rid of him.

My dad also once had a cardinal that would constantly be pecking at the mirrors on his truck. It was mating season and the cardinal thought the bird in the mirror was a rival. Didn't hurt the mirror at all but my dad wasn't too thrilled about all the cardinal poop all over his truck.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

I went out there today and looked . . . I can't see where he would be pecking!

This is gonna drive me crazy! I just don't understand.

Hubby opened the front door downstairs and said he saw it fly away . . . so it HAS to be on the siding! Must be sturdy stuff!

-christa

Well, he could be bored, there could be little bugs living under the siding that you guys arent aware of (yet ), he could be looking for a new home but I kinda doubt that one since he only does this once a day?

Unfortunatly I don't know a good way to scare away birdies ((Obviously since we've got 5 of our own and bird feeders all over the gardens ))

The dishtowel idea sounds like itd work Maybe try a scarf though since its lighter and will pick up more air