Thread: chewing

chewing

I have a 12 yr old cat that has the habit of chewing on herself. She has been given shots, meds by mouth which she now throws up if I give her. We for a while used alternative medicine which was aloe on the wounds she creates. The first couple of years she did this we could get her cleared up and keep it clear for a while but now it seems that nothing works. She stresses easily. I have tried to bandage the area to prevent her from getting to it but cant seem to get anything to stay in place.
    Any suggestions please?

Is she just chewing in one specific spot? It could be that something's bothering her in that spot. Have you had it xrayed? Or it might be a seasonal thing. We used to have a dog who would scratch the side of her face raw every summer. We fixed that by cutting the end out of a sock and then putting the sock over her head. She hated it, but it was - for her - preferable to an e-collar.

Speaking of e-collars, maybe you could see about putting one of those on her until the spot heals up.

Aww, I am so sorry. I know how upsetting it is to see that .
    Could it be obsessive compulsive disorder? That can occur in cats. I knew of cats chewing their tail until its raw . One little one, in particular, was so intense that he ripped all his tail fur off and caused major irritation . The problem with keeping a bandage on is that an infection can occur underneath. The bandage is a temporary solution, and it should really only be left on for a very short time (no longer than a week). Have you taken the baby to a vet? First, I would rule out any skin conditions and/or physical health problems. If nothing is found, you may want to look into a cat behaviorist.
    Let us know how it goes..

great advice everyone else... but I would like to start with my basic questions to help you! hopefully...

how often she chews herself?
    on what part? does she chews from one to another? or tend to go back to the same area if she doesn't chew herself daily?

this problem sounds really serious for my idea, but worth a try? only if she chews herself and leave a few small spots.. you can get a "YUCKY-ICKY" cream from veterarian specifically and apply to the area around the injury part. let's hope she'll not love the flavor! one of mine does... but rare. anyway, if this works, I'll want to pray if she could take this out of her habitation. I'm gonna to do a necessary research (because it's happening to one of mine too) and hope to find a solution soon! good luck on yours too.. hear from ya.
    rest and sleep softly sweet locke..

oh and do you have any idea what causes her stresses? and is there any other animals in your home too?
    rest and sleep softly sweet locke..

I have had her to different vets. We are not sure why she chews. She has three different areas that she chews on right now. I have tried the sock suggestion to try to keep her away from the areas but she is an escape artist. I try to keep antibiotic ointments or aloe vera on the places to keep them from getting infected and that works but they wont heal with her licking and chewing at them. We have other pets but she has been around other pets all her life. I will check with the vet about the cream. So far she doesnt seem to mind the taste of the ointment, aloe or hydrocortisone that vets have suggested using. I have wondered about weekly bathing with a very gentle cleanser that maybe would sooth any irritation she has. Aside from the chewing she appears to be healthy.