Thread: What more can I do?

What more can I do?

As some of you may know, I have just come back off my holidays and Twinkle is getting over a cold. I missed the worst of it, my mum and sister took her to the vets for me and got her some tablets and eye drops and she is now on the mend. She is back to being a naughty little kitten again.

Bugs has now caught it too (even though they were separated as soon as we knew something was wrong). She has been to the vets and he has prescribed some tablets. No eye drops as her eyes seem to be ok at the moment. She is still coughing, it seems to be getiing worse not better, and she is swallowing hard. She is still eating and drinking, so thats a good sign.

I have read that it might be good to get her in a steamy bathroom and that would help her breathing, so I am gonna try that. I was wondering if anyone else has any suggestions as to what I can do to try and help her, or is it just a case of sitting it out? My vets is not open now until Tuesday, as its a public holidays on Monday, if there is no imrpovement I will take her back to be checked.

I would be grateful for any suggestions or advice, so that I can help get my Big Bear better.

Thanks
    Nicki x

Thanks manda_moo87 for my siggy

I am afraid that I don't have any answers I just wanted to let you know that I am glad that Twinkle is on the mend and hope that Bugs will get better soon. I don't think it would hurt to try the steam though. Best wishes to you all!

If she is having trouble breathing, run a hot water shower and close the door. Just let her stay in there for a while. Make sure that you dry her off as she will be wet from the condensation (steam from the shower). The steam will help break up whatever gunk is in her lungs.

Try that a couple of times when you notice she's having problems. You should see some kind of improvement once she's been on the antibiotics (is it Clavamox or Ammoxicillin??) for at least 3-4 days.

Poor baby!! As long as she's eating and using the kitty box, just keep an eye on her. Keep us posted!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thanks for the advice. Bugs unfortunately is not better yet, so I will be on the phone to the vet in the morning first thing. She seems to have stopped coughing and her swallowing is not too bad now. However she has a very bunged up nose (she keeps blowing bubbles), is sneezing quite a bit and has a slightly runny eye. She seems to be breathing more through her mouth.

Luckily she loves her food and is still eating, she had some salmon this morning and I tried her on some chicken yesterday, but she was not too keen. We give them treats at night time and she still gobbles them up. She is also drinking as normal. I did notice tonight that she tried to go for a number two in her tray and she only managed a little one, so I will keep an eye on that.

The tablets she was on were Ronaxan 2 tablets per day. She has finished them now. We have struggled to give them to her, we tried popping them in her mouth and squirt a little water down to help her swallow them, but she is such a fidget and it seemed to stress her out. We then tried them in food, but she would not touch it (so she has missed one dose). Finally what we had to do was dissolve them in a little milk, as she loves it and get it into a syringe and squirt it in her mouth. This worked, but I am concerned that she has not really been getting all of the dose. I will speak to my vet and see if there is any other alternative.

I have also done the bathroom steam bit a few times over the weekend. I hate seeing her like this. I hope she gets better soon. Any further suggestions, if anyone has any would be welcomed.

Nicki x

Bugs' bug

Just sending good wishes for a speedy recovery to Bugs. You are right to move fast with the vet, speed is of the essence with any sign of illness in cats. Good luck!
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. (Albert Schweitzer)

Hope Bugs has been to the vets and is on the road to recovery! Please update us!!

Hi all

Bugs has been back to the vets. Her temperature is ok, he listened to her chest. He thinks it is just going to take time for her to get over this. She does seem a little better today, not making as much noise from her nose!

The vet gave her an injection of something to help boost her apetite a bit. She can afford to lose a bit of weight, but we do want her to continue to keep eating, even if it's only small amounts. She has another 5 day course of some different tablets (cannot remember their name at the moment). Also, she has some decongestant powder that you sprinkle on her food so that should help.

She is still ok, drinking, eating little bits, and sleeping lots, but thats normal for Bugs. I will continue to keep an eye on her and fingers crossed she will better soon.

Thanks for your concern.

Nicki x