Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going vegetarian....

Going vegetarian....

Recently, as in the past few months, I've decided to go vegetarian. I've been TRYING so hard, as I love chicken, but now i'm trying to stay away from chicken as well.

I'd like to cut cheese and other dairy products out, but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE cheese. I almost always top things with cheese - nachos, burgers, chili, eggs, you name it, I've got cheese on it.

I also love chicken A LOT. It doesn't make it easy that I get free Chick-Fil-A whenever I wish it.

It also makes it difficult as the rest of my family doesn't really care for veggies all that much, besides as a side. I've found myself recently eating a lot of side, with no meat.
    When I look at meat, steak especially, I feel disgusted. Another problem is, I KNOW it tastes good. It tastes delicious. Just how some of the animals are treated and killed, just for me to eat are disgusting.

Sorry for blabbing on, I guess my reason for posting this is to ask for encouragement or tips to becoming vegetarian. Some yummy vegetarian recipes are welcome, too.
    I know years ago i'd never even think of doing this.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I think its a great idea, Kay! Good luck! It sure is a lot healthier vs. eating a lot of red meat.

Just be careful you still get the protein you need...is there a reason you want to cut cheese out? You can always just stick to more "natural" and "kind" diaries.

Good luck! I know there are a lot of vegitarians on PT, so I bet you'll get a lot of feedback.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

I have thought about doing this lots of times, I am not sure how old you are but like noahsmommy said make sure you get enough protein, I think during the growing years you just have to be extra diligant.

My daughter rarely eats meat and her pediatrician doesn't seem worried at all. I know my kids 12 and 14 are very aware of where food comes from when I was growing up we just didn't question but now I my kids have got me thinking about it and it kind of grosses me out too.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Thanks.

I'd like to atleast cut down on the amount of cheese I eat. I eat A LOT.

I know not many care, but today I ate absolutely no meat.

I ate:
    For breakfast : Two pieces of cinnamon raisin toast.
    Lunch : I had a pretzel (one of those large soft ones) , all I had money for.
    Dinner: Home-made quesadilla with cheese, beans, cooked broccoli, carrots, and red cabbage.

It was delicious.

I'm 17.

-rx bandits

Thanks.

I'd like to atleast cut down on the amount of cheese I eat. I eat A LOT.

I know not many care, but today I ate absolutely no meat.

I ate:
    For breakfast : Two pieces of cinnamon raisin toast.
    Lunch : I had a pretzel (one of those large soft ones) , all I had money for.
    Dinner: Home-made quesadilla with cheese, beans, cooked broccoli, carrots, and red cabbage.

As well as a salad I made with tomatoes, carrots, onions, cucumbers, a bit of garlic, with a mixture of italian and raspberry vinegarette dressing.

It was delicious.

I'm 17.

-rx bandits

Breakfast and lunch had no protien but your dinner sounded really healthy. I like savory food for breakfast...do you plan on eating eggs?

I have been frosted!

Yes, although I'd like to get rid of them too, I plan on eating them.

I usually eat an apple for breakfast, but we didn't have any today.
    Tomorrow if time allows it, i'm going to make "birds in a nest", or bread with the middle cut out, and an egg in the middle, toasted in a pan

I don't usually eat much for breakfast and lunch, meat or no meat. No time and school lunch is far too expensive.

-rx bandits

Instant breakfast is all I could stomach when I was your age...now I just skip breakfast but I know that is bad.

I also like refried beans with sunny side up eggs on the top...

I have been frosted!

Kay, there's a magazing called "Light & Tasty" and it has a lot of healthy recipes, and always a feature in every issue of vegetarian. I've tried a lot of the recipes and they are really good. Maybe check out a couple of issues from your local library.

You're stronger than I am. I hate the idea of animals being killed, but I don't think I could stop eatting it. I'm not a veggie person and don't like a lot of food. I think I'd starve lol (I eat mostly bread though....)

Good luck, I'm glad you are able to do it

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

I used to be in a group that was dominantly vegan. Whenever I made something for meetings it was usually some sort of bread or desert. In most mixes you can substitute eggs with a tablespoon of cornstarch each as long as the eggs aren't the only wet ingredient holding the dough together, you can add a little water if you must. Here's a website with a few everyday recipes http://vegweb.com/recipes/subs/ BTW, please make sure for your own health and the sanity of others that you get your vitamins and minerals in some alternative way (believe me irritability is definately connected to lacking such vitamins as niacin, either that or everybody who becomes a vegetarian is crabby to begin with, which I doubt).
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

It's really easy when you turn to SOY! Yep, it's sooo good, and they make just about everything out of it! I hate the way most meat tastes, like hot dogs, ew! I only eat dry chicken/turkey and lunch meat chicken/turkey.

GOOD LUCK!

Niņo & Eliza

13. I wish you the very best of luck. ive tired more the once.. and just coudlnt do it.

some smell or something.. and off i go..LOL

I eat meat - but sometimes I think "I can't believe this. My teeth are chewing the flesh of another living creature." I imagine what these animals would think of us if they knew. I think about how terrified we'd be of any animals who ate humans regularly. We're barbarians!

By the way, have you read any of the materials which show which foods you can combine to ensure that you are getting your complete proteins? Beans with whole grains provides you with a complete protein, I think - but there are more.

If you're going to go vegetarian, you really do need to eat a lot of whole grains and be conscious of getting adequate nutrition. You're still eating eggs, so that will help a lot.

I think it's great that you're doing it. Congratulations.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

I tried going vegies years ago and I didn't really like it I had mood swings, always had headaches, naesau, etc ((it was probably because I made an immediate switch and didn't take vitamins for the things I was then missing out on))

Anyway! imo Soy cheese tastes exactly like real cheese, theres tons of recipes through google.com for tofu and also soy burgers, soy chicken ((I have no clue what its called actually)) things like that. everything can be found at any major grocery store ie walmart Good luck!