Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Need To Rehome Cirrus

I Need To Rehome Cirrus

Hi everyone. Things aren't going very well in my household right now. Storm and Cirrus have never really gotten along but lately it's been much worse. I always told myself that if the stress affected one of my cats health or if there was bloodshed that I'd have to rehome Cirrus. Well the stress is now affecting Storm's health. This has been a very difficult decision for me to make but I've just been kidding myself. Things are getting much worse instead of better. I can't live in such a stressful household and I don't expect my furkids to either.

I hope that you won't think that I'm a bad meowmie and won't get upset or mad at me for wanting to rehome Cirrus. I contacted the rescue group where I adopted Cirrus and the lady wants me to foster him for a while and she'll put his pictures and profile up on their website. I can do this for a little while but I'm not sure for how long. I know that kitten season is just around the corner and he'll probably be overlooked. Is there anyone out there that would be able to adopt Cirrus or foster him?

I think he needs to be an only cat or only with one other cat that is very easy going, not jealous, and not bossy. Cirrus wants to be the alpha cat and be the center of attention. He's shy at first until he gains your trust but loves pets, scritches, and being brushed. He's not a lap cat and won't let you pick him up but that could change with time or with the right person. He's semi-feral.

He had PU surgery because he had severe struvite crystals so he needs to be on a presription diet for the rest of his life. He's currently on Royal Canin S/O diet and eats both the dry and wet mixed together. He's 2 years old and will be 3 on June 20, 2005. He also loves to play. It would be great if another pet talker would be able to adopt him. I just feel terrible about having to rehome him but I have no choice. I don't want to drug Storm and I'd never be able to give Cirrus a pill any way. Thanks for reading this. Please pm me if you can help me or are interested in adopting him.

(((((Tracey))))))

You poor thing. I know this is making you sick having to do this. You love your furkids like I love mine...like royal angels.

I'm so sorry Cirrus isn't working out. Some cats are just like that.

I'll be praying the right spot comes along for him.

Please don't feel bad, honey. You've tried everything and have spent so much time, love and money on him. He's had a lucky life with you and he'll find his forever home when it comes.

Take care. If there's anything I can do, please let me know.

Hugs and love,
    Kelly
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

I'm so sorry, Tracey. I hope Cirrus finds a great place quickly.

My reaction to the title was...

"NNNOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo" (with a sad tone of voice)

The decision to rehome is probably the HEARDEST thing any one ever has to do (even harder than euthanizing for illness). I cannot express how sorry I am for you.

I'd foster that boy in a heartbeat if you weren't thousands of miles away.

{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}

I RECENTLY HAD TO MAKE A REALLY HARD CHOICE TO REHOME FUZZY!! BUT I WAS VERY LUCKY THAT KIM(KLC) LIVES CLOSE & WAS ABLE TO TAKE HER NOW I GET TO SEE HER HERE ON PT!!
    IT WAS BASICALLY THE SAME--'PERSONALITY CONFLICT' I'M HAPPY TO REPORT THAT ALL IS MUCH BETTER!!

I SOOO EMPATHIZE WITH YOUR PLIGHT I KNOW WE HAVE MANY PT'ERS OUT WEST!! PLENTY OF PRAYERS & POSITIVE THOUGHTS HEADED Y'ALLS WAY FROM THE SOUTH!! BEST OF LUCK TO YOU & CIRRUS!!
    KITTY FRIEND
    TAKE CARE, GOD BLESS
    MULTICATMOM

Oh Tracey, what a hard, hard thing to have to deal with. As I said to Kelly, sometimes the best decisions are the hardest ones. You tried, over and over again. There is a purrfect home for Cirrus just waiting somewhere. I'm sure he will find it. I do so wish I could help but 5 cats, 6 dogs and thousands of miles make it rather undoable My brother in San Diego loves cats but his situation is tenuous at best right now so that's out, I'm so sorry.

Oh, Tracey, what a tough and sad decision you have had to make. I have never before wished so much that I lived the U.S than right now, I would very much love to have Cirrus live with me.

Prayers and positive thoughts on the way.

{{big hugs}}
    Chris

Oh no! I feel so bad for you Tracey because we all know just how much you love your furkids. I know this has to be the hardest thing in the world for you to do.

Just remember how much you have done for Cirrus. At least now he has had his surgery and is in good health. There are a lot of people who wouldn't have done that for him. His new purrents will know his health issues upfront too.

I wish I could help but not only are we thousands of miles away but he could not be an alpha in this house either.

I'm so sorry Tracey, please keep us posted.

Tracey,

I truly understand the stress that it can create when two cats don't get along. It is a tough decision. I've made it a few times myself, for various reasons.

Hopefully you can find a nice quiet home for Cirrus where he is an only cat.

((((((hugs)))))) to you and the wonderful work you do.

Donna

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

{{{HUGS}}} I know you are making a decision that took you a long time to do... why should we be mad at something that you are doing out of love for the quality of life for all your cats? All we want is to see that our pets are happy and healthy. If its escalating into a stressful home of unhappiness and now illness, well, you have made a gutwrenching and hard decision to rehome Cirrus to where he can be his happiest, while allowing your remaining cats their ultimate happiness.

I hope someone sees him and adopts him soon.

I know you heart is breaking but I understand fully. I thought I would have to rehome Samantha because she would not stop attacking all my other babies. When Amy became her main target, I knew that was IT, there was no way I could allow that.

But having had Samantha sit on my doorstep for two years begging to be mine and it finally happening, I was horrified at the thought of turning her away again and she is a perfect cat in every other way.

I KNEW what the conflict with them was all about. Amy and Giz felt she had invaded THIER territory because they were not here when she came over before and she thought THEY were invading her territory since she had never seen them before. Then you add to that, how starved Sam was and how she ran, bowl to bowl and left them nothing to nibble on all day and that causes a lot of problems to.

That is when I decided to do the time outs for Samantha, shut her in a room by herslef and each time she did it, the longer she was shut away all alone. You know how cats are, they HATE to be shut in a room alone so it only took her about 3 days to learn. I was amazed at how fast she put it together in her own head and that stopped it. They are still not all best friends but there is no more attacking and time has taken care of Samanthas appitite problems.

I wish your solution could be as easy as mine was but I was lucky that I hit on something that worked the first time.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I totally understand why you have had to make this decision and you certainly can not live in a house with one cat attacking another.

Just a suggestion, have you considered inviting a behaviourist over to your home to see if there are any training methods that could be used to modify Cirrus's behaviour. (Like Laura's Babies used with her Samantha.)

I could find a small donation towards a behaviourist visit, if you decided to go this route and this might be easier than trying to adopt Cirrus out during kitten season and if it didn't work out, Cirrus should have an quicker time in autumn finding his new home.

All the best

Tracey, no one here thinks you are a bad Meowmie. You've tried everything and I agree that if it's bringing on more stress, then make that decision to rehome Cirrus.

When I first got Max and Speckles, Max stalked her so badly that it affected her health. Specks ended up with about 3 bladder infections over 2 years and the poor girl was starting to shy away from everyone. At that point I was seriously considering rehoming her.
    That is when I decided to do the time outs for Samantha, shut her in a room by herself and each time she did it, the longer she was shut away all alone.

Laura, this is what I did with Max. Each time he tried to start a fight, into the spare room he went. He'd cry and cry in there, but he soon got the message. So now, they are both much older and they do tolerate each other. They can now sleep at either ends of the couch and can both sleep on the bed together. Not close, mind you, but still it's way better than it was.

Big {{{hugs}}} Tracey and it sounds like you are doing the right thing. Even if I lived close, I'm afraid I would not be able to take him because of Max. I'm sure his fightin' ways would start up again. Please keep us updated.

slick
    xo
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Sorry thing aren't working out. My Felicia would rather be an only cat too.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

I'm so sorry. I know this must be breaking your heart. I really hope a PTer can take him at least as a foster.

(((HUGS)))

From Decker with Love