View Poll Results: Do you tip your pets groomer?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

12 46.15%
  • NO

14 53.85%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tipping???

Tipping???

Just curious...do you tip your pets groomer?

Yes..I pay $15 to have Gracie groomed...and I tip $2

I generally don't tip the groomer. Mainly because I haven't found one that I like and who does a really good job yet. Also because they overcharge me (in my opinion). For a little 13 lb dog, it is always over $35. They also never do exactly what I want and make me feel bad because I don't get Reecie in the typical Poodle cut (I prefer the puppy or teddy bear cuts).

The vet where I work has a groomer upstairs so I'm going to try her! I will tip her if she's good. I'm generally a very generous tipper.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

I have the same problem that Aly has. When I can find someone who actually cuts Peej the way I want him cut and not charge me $60, then I will tip the groomer. Not until then.

Nope. I'm the groomer and so is my mom. Cherish the day my dog gives me a tip for the haircut. We do friends and family dogs for free and don't expect anything for it.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

lol well I spose I COULD tip myself.. though I am not usre how that would work... lol I groom my own dogs, and my mom grooms her own dogs.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

As a former groomer, I'll softly suggest that you DO tip your groomer. I've worked in a lot of salons, and suffice it to say, a good tipper generally gets preferential treatment and their pets are treated better. (not at all salons, but if you're a repeat customer and don't tip, I shudder to think what may be happening to your pet! Sad but true a lot of times. )

9 times out of 10 the person grooming your dog isn't the owner and doesn't set the prices. They only get paid a percentage or a flat rate per dog.

I know its unfair to the groomer when I think I'm being overcharged and don't tip them. But the fact remains that they do a horrible job. Reece has even been hurt (red marks) on his tummy/leg area by two different groomers. They are lucky I didn't put up a big stink about that. I was incredibly nice about it, but I refuse to tip when they do that or do stuff that I do NOT ask for. They always know what I want. I make it very clear. And they have my number if their memory fails them.
    Alyson

micki76 - what if i pick my dog up from a doggy day care that also has a groomer? i pick my dog up from day care and i never get to see the groomer who worked on my dog (he goes to doggy day care in the AM and then the groomer in the PM). i don't want to give the money to just anybody because what if they pocket it and the groomer never sees the tip? i don't think that would happen, but in today's society, you never know. do you have any suggestions? should i ask to see the groomer so i can tip her? or should i just give the money to whomever brings my dog out to me? i have no clue.

When I took (RB) Tonee to Petsmart for years, they were not allowed to take tips.

Now we take Nina to a small shop and the owner is the groomer. I have not tipped. But I am a server and always want tips, so maybe I should. But she is the owner and takes in all the money, and sets her own prices. So she keeps it all except for overhead.

Not sure what to think about it. I'll see what more people say here.
    Katz

Money will buy a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Josh Billings

Originally posted by aly
    Reece has even been hurt (red marks) on his tummy/leg area by two different groomers.
    Are you sure we don't take our dogs to the same place? Peej has come home with red marks on his belly and his..um...you-know-what. They cut the hair way too short!

I thought he would be really well taken care of if I took him to Petsmart because the grooming area is all open and everyone can see how they treat the dogs. Maybe not. It sickens and saddens me to know that when I send my boy to a groomer he may be mistreated or handled roughly.

I want to learn how to do it myself but a Cocker cut isn't the easiest..or so I've heard.

Micki, will you groom Peej?

Tonee got staff (sp) infection once from a private groomer, dirty tools. Had to take her to emergency on a Sunday afternoon. A friend used to groom her cocker all the time and I'd go over to see him while she was gone and noticed red marks, from too close of shaving. Nothing has ever happened to Nina, but a funny looking cut.

Money will buy a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Josh Billings

Poor Tonee.

I took Peej to a private groomer once. He came home sick and was lethargic and wouldn't eat much for 4 days. Never again.

I thought the same thing about Petsmart being safer because there are the glass windows so everyone can see. I can't say I really like Petsmart, but they have been better than the private groomers I've tried. Once I made an appointment at a groomer (even had a recommendation to go there), but when I walked in with Reecie, I had to lie and turn around and run out. I couldn't leave Reece there. It smelled like smoke and looked dirty. They also didn't require a shot record so I had no clue what illnesses could have been lingering. Reece's feet never even touched the floor.
    Alyson

I've only taken Murph and Maddie to the groomer, once. Many, Many years ago. And I didn't tip. It didn't occur to me.

I have been thinking about taking Oz and Gully in though, to see if they can blow out some of that coat, that keeps continually shedding. I've been wary of where to go though. I'm thinking about taking them to my vet's. They offer grooming too. Figure if I trust them for vet care, they should be okay for grooming too. I'll have to remember to tip if I do. It'd be worth it if it ensures they'll treat Oz and Gully nicer, which is my main concern about having somebody else do the grooming.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards