Thread: Collars and harnesses

Collars and harnesses

I've got a Houdini doggie named Smokey.

he's Houdini because he gets out of things easily... like his harness...

he'll be in his harness and tied out, and the latch hooking onto his harness will be a foot away when I glance out to see what he's doing!

this time, he was latched with harness to the tie out chain, and my b/f looked out and saw that the clasp to the harness has come loose so he's just sittin out there with only the harness around his neck (which he can squirm out of!)!

Not to mention he's chewed through the plastic latch part of one of his collars...

he's a weirdo

is there a place where we can buy something that has metal clasps? what we'll do is find something metal or not easily opened and then soak the collar and harness in bitter apple so he doesn't chew it (though the collar was actually chewed at the plastic clasp part, not the fabric collar part)

I reccomend a prong collar for when you are supervising him. I really hate harnesses for many reasons. Prong (sometimes called pinch) collars are the only thing that works for my dog.

Niño & Eliza

Why don't you just try a regular nylon collar with a metal buckle? I don't think Smokey would be able to chew through it as he wouldn't be able to reach it. Just make sure it is snug enough that Smokey aka Houdini can't slip it over his head. I wouldn't use a pinch collar if the dog will be on a tie out.

My dog Duncan has to have a metal clasp collar because he is so strong, if he sees something he wants to chase, he snaps the plastic buckle right off. He's broken one or two collars and a seabelt already. Now he has a plain red double strength nylon collar with a metal buckle. I use a gently leader when walking him however. It stinks because a lot of the really neat decorative/theme collars only come with plastic buckles! I wanted to get him a Syracuse University collar but it would be a waste since he would only be able to wear it in the house.

Niño can get out of any collar that isn't too tight to be safe, I don't think that will work for you either.

Niño & Eliza

Originally posted by jennifert9
    Now he has a plain red double strength nylon collar with a metal buckle.
    where did you get that one ? Thanks!

have you tried a martangle collar? they are designed for greyhounds because the other big neck/small head thing they basicly tigheten if the dog tried to slip out of it.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Originally posted by cali
    have you tried a martangle collar? they are designed for greyhounds because the other big neck/small head thing they basicly tigheten if the dog tried to slip out of it.
    nope but I'll look into it!! thanks!

edit: do you mean martingale? TY

I bought Duncan's collar at Petco I think.

ok cool i'll have to check 'em out

lol yes thats that is what I meant
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils