Thread: Scratching Out

Scratching Out

After Duke has had a good potty, he'll scratch out in the grass with his back legs. Grass and dirt go flying! It is so funny. Can anyone tell me why he does this? Does your dog do it, too?

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

LOL LOL It sure does look funny, doesn't it??! Our dog used to do that too. That behavior is actually left over wild canid behavior. I've noticed in my experience with wolves anyway, that if they go potty in their 'living space' or den, they will scratch at the ground and cover it up. Wolves even have a tendency to roll it up into a ball and move it to the far corner of the den!! However, the domesticated cousins...our dogs, aren't quite as effective in the whole burying process...LOL LOL

Lolly does it too She usually manages to cover Reece with grass. It is pretty funny! Reece stands there with a bewildered expression on his face, shakes it off, then goes on his merry way.

At the shelter, we have gravel in the dog runs because its easier to disinfect and clean up after the dogs. Well, when one of the dogs decides to cover up their mess, they always end up pelting me with gravel. Hehe

[ November 27, 2001: Message edited by: aly ]
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Originally posted by aly:
    <STRONG>Lolly does it too She usually manages to cover Reece with grass. It is pretty funny! Reece stands there with a bewildered expression on his face, shakes it off, then goes on his merry way.

At the shelter, we have gravel in the dog runs because its easier to disinfect and clean up after the dogs. Well, when one of the dogs decides to cover up their mess, they always end up pelting me with gravel. Hehe

</STRONG>
    Hehehehheee that's REALLY funny, Aly!!! I can just picture people trying to cover their faces and dodge at the hurling pebbles flying through the air after the dog makes a potty

It's funny, Ritz, my mom's little shih tzu pup does this, however he doesn't have it down pat yet....at first his back legs kind of hop up and down in unisen, then after several hops, he finally manages to attempt to fling some grass with his back legs, but only usually manages to kick a leaf since he's so small and puney He learned this from my moms friend who has a fully grown and fully intact male shih tzu!

Kobie and Eli both do this--we call it "moonwalking"! The little back legs are churning but the dog isn't going anywhere! They both sport the biggest smiles when they do it, too. Quite a crack-up to watch!

The hairy kids' photo album

Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.
    -Pythagoras

This is yet another classic wolf behaviour.

Frito feet come into it too!

It is another chance for a dog to leave a scent message with a very noticeable marker!
    Think of it as a post-it note with a luminous pink background! (I hope you guys know what post-it notes are?!?)

I have done some work on this behaviour in domestic dogs and have found that for the majority of it occurs when the dog is feeling happy, content and fit and well. The major exception is in entire males that have very dominant traits - they tend to scratch even when not feeling on top of the world.

So, if your dog is biddable, social and relaxed - then it is feeling fine and dandy.

If it is a puller on the lead, in your face and has selective hearing - then it is more probably a dominant marking behaviour.

Remember, Frito feet is really B.O.!!!!!

My Eli does the scratching thing, but I had always thought it was because he grew up with cats.
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

Carrie,
    My dog Buddy must be feeling happy & confident all the time b/c after every potty
    he scratches up the grass, then walks 2-3 steps and "Displays" himself (head up high
    and feet firming planted,tail up )Like he is
    very "proud" of himself..

So "frito feet" is really B.O.???
    But it smells so pleasant...like fritos..
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

My dog does this a lot, and is tearing up the grass! It is pretty wet around here several months out of the year (Seattle), that our lawn is getting pretty shot between her marking her scent with her feet, and then of course the rough ball sessions she loves so much.

Frito feet? I have never noticed that. Might have to go check it out!
    Kedi, Wylie, Rudy, and the dog Scout!

All three of my dogs do this. And It's pretty gross when I'm sitting outside with them and they fligning dog poop at me.

Felice, Zeus, Hercules

We have a fenced yard downstairs and Eugenia bushes going all around inside the fence. We usually let Perry and Daisy down for exercise and they run like crazy, however Perry lifts his leg at every bush he can and he scratches under every one, the dirt and whatever is there flies.
    Daisy on the other hand pees on the fly, she loves to run and will stop to pee and then keep walking with her legs spread open and keep peeing, she don't like to take the time to do her duty.
    We laugh so much to see them do that.
    Jackie

Hehehe, Daisy and Perry sound like such little characters. I really hope I can meet them (and you!) in person someday
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Jackie I know exactly what you are describing!! My last black standard poodle, Whitney, did the same thing. She could start at one end of the yard and sort of squat-run-pee, legs still apart, all the way across. It was a riot! Daisy sounds like quite the character and Perry sounds all male!!