Thread: my dog is terrified of traffic!

my dog is terrified of traffic!

my English Mastiff,George,is frightened of traffic,he just stops still and will not budge.He is now 1 year old and weights around 11 stone.His dad is also called George and he is a hefty 15stone!Can any one help,i have been told to stand on a main road with him,but its impossible to even get him there.

Oooh boy, I know how hard convincing big dogs to budge can be! Does he have some particular treat he adores? Maybe you could try walking closer and closer toward the trafiic, a little closer ecah time, and bribe him to go just a couple more steps further with a treat?

I'm not sure if this applies, but my Honey is also very afraid of traffic (she's afraid of just about everything). She had fits because the wind blew hard yesterday.....I'm not sure how to handle her.
    But anyway, I had a terrible experience last year one day when it snowed. I was walking both dogs as there was no traffic. Honey was on the leash and Lilly was walking off leash. My neighbor's little girl asked if she could walk Honey and I allowed her to hold the leash. Well, at that moment, a fire truck of all things came towards us (I had never seen one in our neighborhood before this and never one since), but it not only scared Margaret, it scared Honey. Margaret dropped the leash, and Honey simply froze in front of that huge truck on the icy road. There is no way he could have stopped in time. Luckily, Honey finally ran off and she ended up beating me home. That was terribly scarey and I just knew she would be run over right there in front of us. That is the last time anyone will hold Honey's leash besides me!
    Lilly will stop on command and sit patiently until I tell her everything is "ok". I'll look forward to hearing anything anyone has to contribute on this subject. It is quite a problem if you enjoy walking your dog like I do.
    Logan