Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which types of crates are better?

Which types of crates are better?

Tango needs a new crate, she doesn't fit very well in her current one but I was wondering which types all of you prefer (plastic box types or the metal bar ones?). I've always had the plastic ones for my dogs because that's what my parents are used to but I really want to get Tango one of the metal ones, I think they look more comfy and breatheable compared to the other ones...

lol I hope I explained that well. If not let me know and I'll try and explain it better...

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

I think that the plastic ones look better but health wise I think that the metal ones are better because the plastic may give off some toxicity, you know, like indoor pollution from snythetic carpets etc. At least that's my first thought, whether it's actually true I don't know. Maybe some of you other folks have some insight on this.

Animals Online - Poochie graphics
    Dog Portraits - watercolor and pen and ink

I LOVE Gonzo's tent crate... it's so light and easy to transport, and very breathable. He likes it a lot. Tent crates are good for non-destructive, non-escape-artist dogs. We also have a wire crate for him, he refuses to go into plastic crates I do think they're much more breathable, easier to clean and I prefer the look, but they're way heavier and clunkier. Just depends on Tango, and what you want to do with the crate.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

It a matter of personal preference. Let Tango go to the pet store and try them out. Autumn needs a metal one that doesn't collapse but we have plastic. She is unable to break out of the metal one like she does her current one, but she has collapsed one when she tried it out at the pet store. Also she doesn't seem to feel quite so trapped when she is in the metal one.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Everyone has great tips for you. You may also want to look into what uses you can get out of which crates.

For example:

Wire crates can fold down and usually have a carrying handle on them, taking up less space when not in use or traveling. When you get coated wire crates they are easier to clean & last longer.

Mesh crates are much lighter than the wire crates and also fold down, but they are not as sturdy. Not sure how easy they clean up and how many washings they can handle though.

Plastic ones are the only ones allowed on planes, so if you travel via air fairly often it may be easier on your pocketbook to just invest in one of those. Easy to clean.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I guess it all depends. We have the plastic one since that is airline approved and that is what we use it for most. Drake uses his crate at home but not very often. If he did, then I would have bought another one, the wire kind.

Its nothing but fashionable black metal bars around here

The plastic box things remind me too much of moving back and forth, america to germany, germany to america, america to germany, and having to put the poor pupper in a plastic travel box for the airplane to take them ((I've been mentally scarred by them I guess lol))

In my opinion, I think the dogs like the metal ones better because they can see more of the things around them the only problem is when it gets cold ((its a problem for us because we have hard floors that make it colder for the dogs in their kennels)) so we usually put thick blankies around 2-3 sides of the kennel to keep it warmer

I use both depending on the dogs. I like the wire ones because of the openess, but the plastic ones can be sturdier for those more stubborn "mutts". Then there are those persistant ones who can use their tongue to open the wire crates.
    Love is Adoptable. Adopt a Pit Bull.

Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Animals Die.

If Pit Bulls are outlawed, only outlaws will have Pit Bulls.

I prefere plastic as I do dog sports and travel alot howver my dogs prefere the plastic as well, we have several plasic and one wire, if given the choice they NEVER choose the wire kennel, they all like the smaller the better plastic kennels
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

We are a metal crate home here,,,, they both have bedding in thier crates and both are covered over at night... so its warm... in summer,, we cover all except the front doors.... easy to transport as they fold right down too..... not that we move them,,,but its nic to have that option. as for getting out of the crate.... mine never have tried,, and with the type of latch on it,,, I SERIOUSLY doubt they could open it!!

I dont care for the plastic as there is not much air circulation in comparison to the wired ones and frankly,,, DE UGLY!!

For home I like the plastic ones just BECAUSE they are not open. I think the crate should by your dog's private place to go to to get away from the rest of the house when they want to.

Niño & Eliza

We just got a nice wire one (made by Petmate) for Bijou. We hadn't planned on crating her (we adopted her last month - she's about 4-1/2 mos old now) but she climbs/jumps over the baby gates (we even double-gated her!) we used to keep her in our kitchen. We gated her in the kitchen for nighttime sleeping and when we are (briefly) out of the house, as she's all puppy right now and her physical growth has been quite dramatic along with her quest to chew nonstop! So as of today, we are the somewhat uninitiated owners of a 42" wire crate (a bit big for her right now, but I'm not too worried about that).

She's been pretty receptive so far and has taken to her new space easily for the most part. The real test will be how she sleeps in it tonight! She's used to sleeping like this:

Originally posted by Suki Wingy
    For home I like the plastic ones just BECAUSE they are not open. I think the crate should by your dog's private place to go to to get away from the rest of the house when they want to.
    Tango never uses it though unless we leave the house, she loves visiting with us and any company we have and rarely jst walks into her crate voluntarily.

I think I'm going to go ahead get a metal one for her, they look nicer than the plastic ones and I think she'd like it better anyway because it is more open. She doesn't like being in small dark places at all. Thanks for the input guys!

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

Sounds good. I agree the metal ones look much sleeker/better! Niño retreats to his crate whenever he feels overwhelmed. He has learned how to open the door when it is unlocked with his paw.

Niño & Eliza

I hope Tango approves! You can always throw a sheet or something over the crate, if she seems like she wants it more private. Gonzo has a sheet over the crate that he sleeps in, in my room. Another thing I disliked about his first crate, which was plastic and he hated, was that he tended to chew on the sides and make it look ugly

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz