Thread: Quick Question about dog urine (sorry)

Quick Question about dog urine (sorry)

Wasn't sure where to put this(maybe I should have put it in health)...but does anyone know if there is a difference between male and female urine? What I am specifically trying to find out is in reference to grass and vegetation. Is female urine more likely to kill or discolor grass? Sorry for the subject matter, but thanks for any thoughts/assistance you may have.

Maybe, possibly unspayed females. I had always heard it had to do with diet. Autumn and Pepper seem to make the grass greener, but my grandma's dogs kill their lawn to a point where they just have dirt. Her dogs get Iams, Pepper always got purina, and Autumn gets mainstay for the most part. I don't think I've ever come across an explanation that wasn't speculation though.

here's two I found on yahoo http://answers.yahoo.com/question/?q...6001933AA5Lqox

http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardand...N-Nov0199.html

it seems that diet would be a factor in the burning of grass
    Last edited by IRescue452; 06-23-2006 at 09:33 AM.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Sorry I can't be of much help. Our grass is very green in the backyard where the pups go. They are both fixed and I feed them Iams. Sometimes maybe it does depend on the diet... I really don't know.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I have a female dane who is fixed and yes she kills the grass she eats purina lamb and rice and was on IAMs she still kills the grass no matter what diet

Me-24
    Hubby-25
    Daughter Zoey is 2 !!!!
    Jasmine 1 month

I have always heard that female dog's urine will turn the grass brown, and I have pretty much found that to be true.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Thank you for the replies. I didn't think there would be a difference in the urine for neutered animals, but I didn't think about the concentration aspect (although half of the time Ginger lifts her leg to urinate). Thank you very much for those links IRescue, they were very informative and exactly what I was looking for.