Thread: Large breed Food

Large breed Food

Just wondering.whats the difference in the large breed formula,rather than the regular adult formula in dogfood?I know the large breed formula is specially formulated for their joints,but what else is it good for?We just got Kodie the large breed formula today.I hope he likes it!

Personally, I think the "Large Breed" formulas are just another way for dog food companies to make more money. I have found that what really slows the growth in joints is putting the puppy on adult food from day one. All my guys are weaned onto adult Eagle Pack Chicken, and I am very pleased with the results.
    Just my 2 cents.

Originally posted by SunKissedGoldens
    Personally, I think the "Large Breed" formulas are just another way for dog food companies to make more money.
    That's what my vet says too about all the special formulas, except the allergy ones ect. When I asked him about putting Preacher on senior food, he told me it would be fine if I wanted to spend more per bag! Turns out Preacher hated the senior food anyway!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Thats what i've been thinking.I thought i would give it a try anyways.Were probably not going to keep him on it though.Most likely going to switch him back to just regular stuff.

I agree for the most part that it is a scam to make more money, but you can tell that some are not (depending on brand & formula) but a lot of senior brands ARE actually different, you can tell by the ingredients.
    They have less fat, calories, more supplements etc...

You just have to know what to look for, how to read labels & be very careful.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

The differences are the percentages of content. Large breed dogs require more protein, more fat, more vitamens & minerals than a medium sized dog. If Kodie isn't really a large breed, then I wouldn't worry about putting him on large breed food because it could make him fat. If he falls into the weight range of 30-65lbs give or take a little, then he's good on the regular formula.
    Love is Adoptable. Adopt a Pit Bull.

Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Animals Die.

If Pit Bulls are outlawed, only outlaws will have Pit Bulls.

Originally posted by SunKissedGoldens
    I have found that what really slows the growth in joints is putting the puppy on adult food from day one. All my guys are weaned onto adult Eagle Pack Chicken, and I am very pleased with the results.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Dale's breeder does the same thing. They are on adult food from day one....large breed puppies don't need to grow any faster than they already do...Dale is a giant breed, but not on giant breed food. He is on Nutro Natural Lamb and Rice and I believe that it does have some Glucosimine and Condroiton (sp?)...

Completely agree about the large breed/puppy formulas. A complete scam. Especially puppy formaulas. What a way to ruin a dog's bones and joints.
    I've been BOO'd!