Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ***EVERYONE READ THIS ***

***EVERYONE READ THIS ***

I am here to share a horrific story that just took place outside my house today...

I want to make sure everyone has a game plan for getting pets out of your house incase it starts on fire. Tell ALL your neighbors about your animals, make sure they know EXACTLY what you have and what dog breeds. Place pet rescue stickers on more than one window of your house.

Earlier this afternoon (about an hour ago) our neighbors house (across the street) caught on fire, about 4 fire trucks and an ambulance were outside our house. A young golden retriever (less than 2 years old) lives inside the house that was on fire, I knew it was inside at the time. I saw a firefighter hooking up the hose to the hydrant and immediately ran over to him and said "There is a golden retriever in that house, get it out! Make sure you get the dog out of the house", and I ran back across the street to my house. The firefighter looked at me as if I had 7 eyes and 3 arms and said "Ok, thanks for telling me" and proceeded to do nothing to help get the dog out of the house- he didn't even alert any other firefighters to the dogs presence in the house. I stood there in horror, along with 5-6 other neighbors, and watched the firefighters take 6-9 minutes to get their gear ready and hoses set up, and then slowly begin to make entrance to the house and hose the house. I have never seen anyone move so slow, we were shocked. I kept saying "Get the dog, please get the dog" over and over again (to the neighbors around me, not the firefighters) and waited to see if the dog would come out. Well, the dog eventually came out- in the arms of a firefighter limp as a noodle and resembled a long-haired black lab not a golden retriever. I screamed and started crying as soon as I saw it; I knew the dog had died. They placed the dog in the snow and covered it with a blanket. The house owners were not home, they have young kids under the age of 7.

I do not want this to happen to anyone here on Pet Talk, do everything in your power to see that your pet/s have a chance of getting out of a fire safely. Hopefully, your fire department is better than mine and will actually act quicker and do their job. I am now beyond horrified and worried to high heaven- if my house sets on fire I know my pets stand no chance of surviving.

I am so shaken up, if none of this makes sense, I am very sorry, I can't think very clearly right now. This will stay with me forever, and the image of the dog coming out of the house will forever haunt me.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Oh my god

I'm so sorry, That is so horrible. I am so horrified and I'm not even the one who had to see it. I'm so so sorry

Maybe you can tell your local humane society or anyone who could possibly get the story in the media. They need to be held accountable for their actions, or at least they should have pretended to care or explained something to you.. I dont know. I'm sorry
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

I can see that it could have been life threatening for the firefighters but come on they obviously did not care...what a bunch of jerks. You tried your best....rip to your neighbors golden retriever.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

RIP little one.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I just cannot believe how d@mn slow they were, I mean...they were BEYOND slow! I understand that running around in a panic isn't the way to go either, but they sure could have picked up the pace. Then they just stood there in the front lawn looking at the house and dragging the hose up the house. It probably was 10 minutes after their arrival before anyone entered the house.

And the guy who I talked to about the dog...did nothing...that's the worst thing right there...absolutely nothing....

Me and my neighbors were ready to run over there and do the fricken job ourselves.

What if there were people in that house???? They would have been carried out like the dog too.

I am kicking myself in the butt right now, I should have grabbed the camera and videoed the horrible job they did- but I thought it would look VERY tacky to tape someones house burning down.

I apologize for the rants Pet Talk. Need to get it off my chest.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

How horrible that must have been for you. I can not even imagine having to see that. The firefighters were totally in the wrong on this one!! My dad was a fireman for years and that is not how they handle things where we live. That is so heartbreaking. That poor dog. I'm truly sorry you had to see that.

Please don't blame yourself at all. You told the fireman about the dog it was their job to move quickly and try to get him/her out. I didnt even see it and it's going to bother me for awhile.

Thank you Kay for the beautiful sig!

"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals"

~Find the seed at the bottom of your heart and bring forth a flower~

My cousin is a firefighter, and their supervisors will not let them enter a burning structure until they are fully geared and EVERYONE is fully prepared. I would personally prefer that my house burn down (yes, even with my dogs inside) than for a father, mother, son, brother, sister, or my cousin to rush into a structure without knowing the most about it that they can, and following procedure to the T. They are there to fight the fire and save lives but not at the cost of their own, or their fellow firefighters. You don’t know what all is required before they can enter a structure - I didn't until he became a fireman. They can’t just throw on a mask, grab a hose, throw open the door, and rush inside. Not even to save your life.

My cousin has had several close calls and nearly died fighting a fire, and that was after following all procedures and getting the go ahead from the supervisor on scene.

I know you’re upset, but really, think about the sacrifice these men & women are making and think about what you’re asking them to do. Do you really want a child to grow up without a parent due to some silly mistake that could be made if they entered that house unprepared?

I'm sorry that you had to witness the whole horrible scene.

RIP sweet puppy.

I'm sorry for the pupper and his family, but as the wife of a firefighter, I have to defend them. There are extremely strict rules regarding how and when a firefighter can enter a building. If they violate those rules, well, if they are lucky, they get fired, but there is a dang good chance they will die. Those men and women were doing an extremely difficult, dangerous job. They put their own lives on the line to save others every day. I know it seemed slow, but I am sure they worked as fast as they could. Unfortunately, saving pets is at the bottom of a firefighters list of things that must be done when they are preparing to enter a burning building. Personally, I want my husband and his crew members to be as safe as they can be when they enter a fire.

Everyone should have a plan for getting their animals out in the event of an emergency though--especially if you have multiple animals. Moving 21 dogs would be complicated, but we've got a plan if we ever have to!
    Last edited by Glacier; 03-03-2005 at 05:24 PM.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I agree with Micki.

THAT IS AWFUL! DO YOU THINK IT WOULD DO ANY GOOD TO COMPLAIN TO THE CAPTAIN OF THE FIRE DEPARTMENT, OR YOUR CONGRESSMAN ETC. I WOULD FIND OUT WHO WAS IN CHARGE OF THE RESCUE OF THE BURNING HOUSE AND COMPLAIN THAT THEY DID NOT DO THEIR JOB IN SAVING THE ONLY LIVING THING THAT WAS THERE (THE DOG). SHAME ON THEM!!!

Laura, as I read your post, I was horrified, but then reading what Micki and Glacier said........it makes sense. It would not hurt for you to find out more about "why" they didnt' do something sooner. Talk with your fire department and ask about their procedures. If nothing else, you might get some peace about the situation. I can imagine that sleep will come with much difficulty for you tonight........and I completely understand why. So try to investigate further, without the anger, as to what is expected, and find out if there is anything that could be changed to try and save animals in the house. If what you witnessed is the norm, then all the stickers in the world aren't going to do any good. All of my pets do not stay indoors during the day when we aren't here, but some of them do. This is scary to me.......

Originally posted by Logan
    Laura, as I read your post, I was horrified, but then reading what Micki and Glacier said........it makes sense. It would not hurt for you to find out more about "why" they didnt' do something sooner. Talk with your fire department and ask about their procedures. If nothing else, you might get some peace about the situation. I can imagine that sleep will come with much difficulty for you tonight........and I completely understand why. So try to investigate further, without the anger, as to what is expected, and find out if there is anything that could be changed to try and save animals in the house. If what you witnessed is the norm, then all the stickers in the world aren't going to do any good. All of my pets do not stay indoors during the day when we aren't here, but some of them do. This is scary to me.......
    Great idea Logan.
    I was horrified when I read this too, and I can't imagine watching someone's beloved family member die like you did, yellowlablover. I can understand having rules about when to enter a building, but it did seem like they didn't care. I would be interested to know what they have to say about that if you choose to speak with them about it like Logan suggests.

**hugs**

https://secure2.convio.net/aspca/sit...SURVEY_ID=1460
    I am appalled! That poor baby! Those poor people. My heart goes out to them.
    The above link is to order your FREE decal that is to go on your front door and fill out letting the fire dept and police know that you have furkids inside the house incase of an emergency. I hope every one will order one and get it on your front door. I already have my filled out and put up.

Thanks Graciesmom, I just ordered one. Thats a good thing to have.

Thanks Graciesmom, I just ordered one. Thats a good thing to have.
    I just ordered one, too. Thanks
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..