Thread: Only Child

Only Child

I was helping my daughter's boyfriend with his science project last night. He was insulted at every turn - and finally flew his hands up in the air and said "If its not good enough then YOU do it." (Not to me, but to my daughter) I made my escape at that moment to let him fume.

I went to my bedroom and was joking with hubby about how much he's like our son with projects --- waits til the wee last minute to do a project that was given a week or more to be done. We weren't saying anything terrible, just trying to goof off a bit (saying things like "He's Tony Jr."... Tony being my son who waits til the last minute) He apparently had come upstairs to ask me for help and overheard, then ran back downstairs to mope about it. When I did go back downstairs, he cried "you were talking about me." OMG, I felt TERRIBLE.

A few dozen sincere appologies later and he was happy again and finished the project... but I was AMAZED at how sensitive he was! My first thought was "You can tell he's an only child!" because brothers and sisters have a way of poking fun and teaching you laugh at yourself. Everything he was insulted by was what my brother and I did to each other, what my husband's sisters did with him, and what I see my three kids do to each other.

So is it true... can only children really be that much more sensitive? Are we just that mean of a family to not notice when we were being unbearably mean? I know everything was said lightheartedly and we were definately goofing off. But he just didn't see it that way (obviously)

I'm an only child, and I don't think I'm more sensitive, but I do know other only children who are a bit like that.

I also grew up with 3 cousins in the same yard/driveway, and of course alot of times we didn't get along So that could have prepared me a little.

Seems like you had a long night

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

I am an only child, and maybe you are right regarding the lack of "toughing up" - ie "only children" don't have as much practice at handling the ribbing and teasing which forms part of growing up in a larger family. I know that I am oversensitive, and get emotional and upset over the slightest (and often imagined) insult or sleight!

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.