Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Flag

American Flag

Many are calling for people to put out an American Flag to show unity, if you have one please show your colors.

My father put flags in our yard today.... ive been crying almost all day.. and what i think was very stuoid of them.. they put people jumping out of the building on a full page in our newspaper...
    KayAnn And Simba, the super duper "Wunduh Mutt"

Go Buccaneers!

KayAnn, I know you are very upset, this is a terrible thing that happened. They should not put anything like that in the newspaper, we should all pray for those poor people who are hurt and for the people who died in this tragedy and just give Simba many, many kisses and hugs.

The day after the Columbine incident, the Fort Worth Star Telegram had a half-page, front-page, above-the-fold shot of a dead teenager on the sidewalk. There was such an outpouring of outrage against the newspaper, I never dreamed they would be so tactless and tasteless as to do it again. But sure enough, it was not on the front page, but it was in the front section, full page photo, of a person plunging to their death. I was sick at my stomach, just as I was at the poor Colorado teen. I hope to God my loved ones are not killed in a public tragedy, so they are spared that final indignity and desecration.

Incidentally, Friday is the 2nd anniversary of the Wedgewood Baptist Church shooting in Fort Worth.

Advertising is a funny thing. If you are talking about it - good or bad - that is a good thing. They are getting the publicity they want and hope to sell more newspapers.

The only way to stop it is for people to stop buying their newspaper. That gets their attention - the money.

KayAnn, the newspaper's choice of pictures was horrible and I am sorry you had to see it. However, maybe you can dwell on the good thing in your life - your father.
    Hooray for him for putting the American flag out on your lawn. Now, there is your example, not the newspaper.

Many people in my neighborhood also put their flags out. I am all for ALL Americans putting their flags out - placing them on their car antennas and waving them proudly.
    We should show the world that we are ONE,
    UNITED and certainly never beaten. All in the name of freedom that so many nations have never tasted.

Above all we pray for peace, however, many nations have no idea how strong our diverse nation can be.

Actually, having been in the business, advertising is the key. Don't cancel your subscription to the newspaper - they don't make any money on subscriptions. They make money from ads. To be effective in your protest, look through the newspaper and see who has the biggest, or the most ads. Then write a letter to those companies telling them that you will no longer patronize their stores, buy their stuff, etc., if they continue to advertise in a publication that would so blatantly disregard common sense and compassion that they could have shown. Tell friends to do the same. THAT is how to seriously hurt them where it counts. If you want, cc a copy of your letter(s) to the newspaper, too, to the attention of the publisher.
    I've Been Frosted

I have been flying our American Flag since Tuesday. We also have a Marine flag out in honor of our son. We will tie a yellow ribbon around our tree in the front yard also until we know he is safe. He has been deployed but we don't know where too

from http://www.firehouse.com/

Caption: FDNY Firefighters raise an American Flag where one of the World Trade towers once stood.
    Photo by: Thomas E. Franklin / The Record

Jackie,
    I would just like to know if i could use your flag to put on the website im going to make??? if not its alright i can always find some.. and if u know others please tell me for i could use them also, thanks.
    KayAnn And Simba, the super duper "Wunduh Mutt"

Go Buccaneers!

My town put up flags on every telephone poll in the center of town yesterday, and many cars and trucks are covered with them. Looking at the silver lining of this dark black cloud of sadness, America has come together and united to stand up against terrorism.

should the flags be hung at half mast for mourning????? or upright for hope to find the missing??? i do not want to insult anyone...deli dog
    The Deli Dog

I want to Honor All of Our Rainbow Bridge Furkids

Delidog,
    I also have inquired about that since I felt they should be half mast. Here is the official answer I found on a Website.

THE FLAG AT HALF MAST?

Flying the flag at half-staff is an area of flag etiquette that most people want to make sure they get right. It is also an area for which the road to error is routinely paved with good intentions. With that in mind, we offer this refresher course as the all-important intersection where knowledge meets benevolence.

FLYING THE FLAG AT HALF-STAFF: The pertinent section of the Flag Code says, "by order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possesion, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law.

In the event of the death a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that state, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff." The code also includes other related details including the specific length of time during which the flag should be displayed at half-staff, in the event of the death of a "principal figure"(e.g., 30 days for the death of a sitting or former President, 10 days for the death of a sitting Vice-President,etc.).

GOOD-FAITH MISUNDERSTANDINGS: Although the code is actually pretty clear, confusion continues to occur. For example, U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno recently ordered the American Flag flown at half-staff on all U.S. Department of Justice buildings, in honor of several DEA agents who had died. While NFF understands this gesture, the Flag Code does not give Attorney General Reno the authority to issue that order. Closer to NFF's Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania home, Mayor Tom Murphy ordered all flags flown at half-staff to honor the victims of a plane crash. Here again, a well-intentioned gesture, but one for which no authority exists. NFF points out these "good-faith misunderstandings" not to criticize or embarrass anyone, but rather to head off a growing trivialization of this memorial salute, and to preserve the dignity and significance of flying the U.S. flag at half-staff. To any readers who may think that NFF is insensitive for raising these breaches of etiquette, please be assured that our motives are pure. We grieve these human loses deeply; however, we believe proper respect for our flag must be maintained - no matter the circumstances.

We owe that respect to our living, our dead and our flag.

I have not heard of a presidential proclamation asking for the flag to fly half mast so from the above I would conclude it is to fly proudly at the top of the flag pole! God Bless America!!!!!

I have to confess...I was never very patriotic. I took this beautiful country for granted, but I have been enlightened. I have never felt so much pride for my country in my life, and never before would I have considered buying an American flag...but I have been looking for a flag since Wednesday to buy but many of the stores are sold out. I also have put a few flags on my car, and Graham wears his American flag bandana. I feel proud of America, and I hope we can make it through this without any more attacks on the US. I feel bad for not showing my American pride before this terrible trajity, but I am making up for it with my support and love for the country now. I feel a sence of union when I see people proudly displaying their American flags and I feel more connected to my brothers and sisters of this wonderful country. If nothing more, then this trajic event has had one positive effect on us Americans...I think it is giving us a deeper sence of union, brotherhood, pride and love for our country and our fellow Americans, a stronger urge to give, as well as all the wonderful countries who are mourning with us and lending us a helping hand.

Today I am taking an extended lunch to pay tribute to those victims and their family members lost on the 11th. Since today was created as a day to remember those lost. I urge you all to check with your employers and see if they, also, are extending lunch hours, or letting employees off early to attend their house of worship to be able to mourn and pray for the victims.

God bless you all,

Leslie

From our dogs "GOD BLESS AMERICA"
    KayAnn you and anyone else is more than welcome to use the flag posted here.
    I believe we should fly our flag high and show we are united and proud.

[ September 14, 2001: Message edited by: Jackie ]

I thought I would share this picture that I received today from my wolfpaper mailing list. This is a picture compilation by Monty Sloan, the photographer of Wolf Park in Battle Ground, Indiana where I did volunteer work during my college days. He has a wolfpaper mailing list where he'll email a picture of the wolves at the park that he has taken once or twice a week. Anyway, I thought this one was very moving...the wolf in the picture is Apollo...