Thread: They hate when I leave, for any length of time!

They hate when I leave, for any length of time!

So Donnie and Bobbie were in the shelter for 4 months when we got them, and they're still only 10 months old (Donnie only 9 1/2). I know that that length of time in a shelter would have made them a little less trusting, but it's gotten bad lately. I wasn't working for the first month that we had them, and it was great, it gave me a chance to bond with them and get to know them. This week though, I started a new job, a night job, that keeps me out of the house from 10pm to 7am (blech, I know). They hate it. When I come home in the morning they both come running and I can scratch their ears, but then Bob will take off and ignore me. He'll even walk away if I come near him. Donnie though will not leave me alone!!! As I write this he's sitting on the back of the chair, lying half on my back, and I'm pretty sure he's asleep because his head is on my back as well. He follows me EVERYWHERE!!!!!! He wasn't like this before, he was pretty aloof and kept to himself, but now... Well, he's changed that's for sure. How can I best reassure my boys that I will be coming home, and how do I deal with a pissed off cat?

cats like a regular schudule,they freak out when it changes.For example,i have worked 3rd shift for 3 years now and had a kitty greeting committee when i got home with hank in the window,carl,polly,walker and tom at the door when i opened it...I just went to 2nd shift 2 weeks ago and i had no one at the door,and the wife said they were freaking out had all 6 in the window,which had to be a sight to see because walker and ms calista never get in the window and they stood by the door for hours after she got home from day shift.They are finally after 2 weeks greeting me again and hanging with me while i watch tv before i go to bed. cats are routine type animals and when it changes they worry and fret.

hootch