Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Egg question

Originally posted by stacwase

Wolfsoul - are you saying that dogs need variety? I thought that most of the people on this board were of the "feed high quality kibble and nothing else" mindset. I do give him dog snacks occasionally, and let him eat low-fat people food without harmful ingredients, but I had got the impression that most of the people on this board were against that.
    No, I just meant that if you are going to add something to his kibble every single day, it shouldn't be the exact same thing of the exact same amount because it might put the nutrients off balance.

Edit: By the way, I'm not against giving "people" food. Depending on what the food is of course. I do feel that variety in a diet is important. My catahoula will be given a homemade diet, as will Timber once she lives with me.
    I've been BOO'd!

OK - I got ya! I can see where you're coming from, too - it could lead to imbalances if I was supplementing the kibble with eggs and nothing else. Thanks for clarifying!

As far as the people food goes - I can understand why some people are against it, though I feed it carefully myself.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

eggs

My mom used to give our German Shepherd 12 boiled egg (cut up) on top of her food every morning. she said it was good for her coat.

Just be REALLY sure to cut them up. Our Shepherd, Tisch, loved he eggs SO MUCH that once in awhile we'd give them too her whole ( boiled and un-shelled, of course) it was kinda fun to see her chase the slippery things all over the kitchen floor before she 'caught' it.

this backfired on us one day, when Tisch gulped it down so fast, that she choked on it. it filled her throat and she couldn't breathe. she panicked and ran - luckily she was inside the house, and my mom was quick to react - she cornered Tisch and basically gave her a doggie heimlich manuver and out popped the egg. After that episode, we were always VERY carefull to give particularly favorite treats in small bites!

I often gave Tristan a boiled egg on his food, as we got him from rescue and he had a very sparse coat. after lots of good food (including eggs, Omega oils, and other suppliments) he had the most beautiful, glossy coat you ever saw. it GLOWED.

I would be careful about too many, though - recently my teenage son (skin-child, not fur) was on a thing where he really liked eating boiled egss and egg-salad sandwiches. he was eating 4-6 eggs a day. too many - as they caused gas.

if that's too many for a 150lb active boy, I'm sure it's too many for a dog! LOL! and you have to live with the 'odor'!

however, if you have any 'extras" - we'd be happy to help you use up all those eggs!!

laura

Thanks, Amanda, for the wonderful siggy and avatar!

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - it was peace.
    - Milan Kundera