Thread: cotton mad

cotton mad

hi, I was just wondering if anyone could help me out with a strange problem. My cat Kolo Toure will not leave my sewing machine alone! If I accidentally leave my bedroom door open or if I havent hidden my sewing machine well enough then I can kiss goodbye to the thread inside and out of it!

Whenever I'm not using the machine I always put the needle right down - so he won't be hurting his paws. Anyway, I had completely covered and hidden my sewing machine away the other day and when I came back to my room there was cotton carnage! there was a reel of thread totally chewed up and strung out all over my floor, a whole reel! And I was just too late to stop him slurping up a long piece of thread like spaghetti!

The thing is, he has even started randomly taking out his agression on my machine! I take all the thread out of it everytime I use it now and put it away but he has now taken to chewing and attacking the plastic bits of the machine!

It's not that I'm deliberately letting him in my room when I know the machine is out, but he just leaps out of nowhere and charges in before I even have a chance! It's like he has a crazy obsession. And I have even spotted him sitting outside my bedroom when the door has been shut and sniffing the air then charging at my door cos he knows there's thread in there!!!
    It's like he can pick up the smell of the thread and think "mmmmmm tasty"

Anyone else have this problem? We're worried he'll tie his stomach in knots!

I, too, would worry that he would tie his stomach in knots. I have a kitty, Allie, that is like this. Her 'love' is of DENTAL FLOSS! She goes crazy to get to me, to the floss, in the trash, etc. Even when it smells of menthol. ODD.

So, it seems as if your kitty has a thing for thread. Could it be Kolo sees you using the machine, and wants the attention? Could it be you are using unbleached cotton thread, that bears the smell of the outdoors? Who knows. I wonder if you will ever figure out his love of all things cotton.

Better to just be extra viligant with keeping it covered. My machine has a cover that latches on...does yours?

Good luck, welcome to PT, and give us some pictures!!