Thread: Excessive Shedding

Excessive Shedding

Does anyone know what would cause excessive shedding of my dog? he is half Pit bull and half golden lab.

Welcome to Pet Talk, Kevin. Especially around this time of year, the fur starts to fly! My Lab Star and Husky x Cody are just starting to blow their coats. It's hard to judge just what is excessive. No matter what you do, they are going to shed, some dogs more than others. But a good diet and daily brushings go a long way to promoting a healthy coat. I used a shedding blade followed by a steel, fine toothed brush. Both the girls eat a premium food (Solid Gold) which has helped promote a healthy coat too. And they also get an herbal nutritional supplement made by "Animal Essentials." Does your pup have any food allergies, skin conditions; losing fur in patches?

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Not in patches, healthy diet, maybe just time of year

sounds like its that time of the year.A really good grooming may help some.

yep. Get a pin brush, bristle brush, and shedding blade, and groom him daily! You could also take him to the groomers for clipping and a shedding treatment, if he gets bad. good luck

Tats, I didn't know you feed Solid Gold! thats awesome me too! Solid Gold is the best ^^

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

My dog Samson sheds ...a lot. He's eating a good dog food with veggies thrown in, but the hair on my bed has been excessive.

I recently started giving him liquid Vitacoat from Drs. Foster & Smith. After 10 days I saw a big difference. This stuff has vitamins and Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids. Probably mineral oil as a base. Whatever it is works. He still sheds, but not nearly as much. And his hair is softer.

I don't usually believe that supplements do a lot, but this one really does. I'm impressed.

Mary