Thread: I am still shook up about this...

I am still shook up about this...

I almost hit a dog about an hour ago. It was some sort of shih tzu looking dog and he just ran out in front of me on the road. This road is a busy 2 lane highway just out of Peoria, IL. I had to slam on the brakes for this little guy! I looked down toward the house and the owner way WAY down the lane. I cannot believe people! Letting a dog run without being leashed, especially on a busy road, and that far from the house (the lane looked to be about 1/4 mile)! Anyway, it really shook me up. I'm just so glad my full attention was on the road and I was able to see the dog run into the road, giving me time to slam on the brake. I made the tires squeal and I am sure left black marks...but at least the dog's ok and hopefully the owner learned a lesson! My nerves are shot, though!!!

Oh dear. Big, reassuring hugs to you. As you said, we hope the owner has learned a lesson from this near-miss.

Glad you missed him. Would I ever be horrified if I hit a dog! I heard one get hit once (he turned out to be ok) and that was bad enough for me!
    Steve

Thanks Lexi_Lover

"Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." -- Mark Twain

"Don't count the days. Make the days count." -- Muhammad Ali

oh my goodness! that had to be scary! i'm hoping the owners learned to leash their dog!
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Very scary. I suppose it's always possible the dog dashed out of the house and the owner tried to stop it, or was it deliberately being allowed off the leash?

I would be shaken up too! I'm glad you were able to stop in time!

I would be shooken up too(((hugs))). I am so glad you missed if you want to hear a story about what I had to go through in the 6th grade it was awful..pm me I don't have time to explain it now
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Originally posted by Thandi
    Very scary. I suppose it's always possible the dog dashed out of the house and the owner tried to stop it, or was it deliberately being allowed off the leash?
    I'm not sure, but it had a dog sweater on, so I don't know!

*hugs* I can totally sympathize! I almost hit a shih tzu too. Except I saw the dog standing in the yard with the owners as I was heading down the road. I thought to myself, that dog is going to get in the road... I just know it...

and sure enough, he did and I swerved. I was so pissed.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Two of my biggest fears are hitting a dog or a child on a bike with my car I don't blame you one bit for being so shaken. I hope you're doing better now, especially knowing the pup is ok!!! It's the pup's family that concerns me, that is if they knowingly let their dog run loose {{{HUGS}}}} Sandra

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

That is so hard! Don't worry, you are a really good person. I know some people who peobably would have "just hoped the dog was in between the tires" One day the Orkin man came in and forgot to latch the gate closed. (He saw the dog in the house and was even friendly with him!) Nino got out and ran into the street. A car slammed on the breaks just before it hit him. I saw the whole thing happen and I was almost crying afterwards.

Niņo & Eliza

I'd like to think I could give the owner the benefit of the doubt on this one and that the dog did get out. But if that is the case surley some training is required for the dog to halt and return to the owner.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our life whole

thank goodness you are a very alert driver!

thanks k9krazee for the signature!