Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An FIV flier I am working on

An FIV flier I am working on

I wish to make a SHORT, attention getting flier that can help FIV+ cats get adopted.

This is what I have so far:

I am FIV positive
    What does that mean?
    FIV compromises the cat's immune system, much like HIV does on humans. This means their bodies are less able to fight off illnesses. But many FIV+ cats can live several years symptom-free. And most FIV + cats live long, healthy, and relatively normal lives with no symptoms at all.

Will I infect others?
    FIV is a cat-specific disease. It cannot be spread to humans, dogs or other animals. FIV is not easily passed between cats. It cannot be spread casually – like in litter boxes, water and food bowls, or when snuggling and playing. FIV is primarily spread through penetrating, vicious bite wounds. The virus can also be spread through blood transfusions.

Am I going to be sick?
    As stated above, most FIV + cats live long, healthy, and relatively normal lives. But since their immune system is compromised, they aren’t able to fight off common illnesses as well as a cat that is not FIV +. Respiratory infections (the common cold) might take longer to clear up, treatment resistant diarrhea may occur and some FIV + cats tend to lose weight. One common illness among FIV + cats is gum disease. Dental hygiene must be monitored.

Can I be adopted?
    YES!

Can I live with other cats?
    YES!
    As long as the cats do not fight with one another, an FIV + cat can live safely with other cats. ADDSome experts feel there is up to a 2 % chance that the virus can be passed to healthy cats by means OTHER than deep bite wounds.

How can I stay healthy?
    But FIV + cats should be kept as healthy as possible. Keep them indoors and free from stress, feed them a high-quality diet, and treat any secondary problems as soon as they arise. Don’t wait for seemingly small symptoms to clear up on their own. ADDVet bills may be higher for FIV+ cats due their susceptibility to illness.

ANY....suggestions, comments, web links with helpful info, ANYthing. I want this to be effective for the general public so that FIV+ cats can get adopted.
    Thanks
    Last edited by jenluckenbach; 01-23-2005 at 11:15 AM.

I think this is wonderful as written.

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    Sounds terrific Jen! You may want to add somewhere that vaccinating should be done over time, and not all at once. This can cause nasty problems as they try to build immunity to the vaccines. They should be spaced a month apart anyway.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

The experts recommend that a FIV positive cats should live with other positive cats or on their own. As there is a 2% chance of catching FIV from a postive feline house mate during normal living enviroment. 9http://www.catchat.org/fiv.html)

If the cat in question is aggressive and deeply bites a fellow house cat they have a very high chance of catching this illness (nearly 100%).

The only exception to the above is if an EXISTING housecat who does not fight with the other cats in the home is found to be positive, then it is acceptable to keep all cats inside and yearly test the currently clear animals.

Also an owner taking on a FIV cat will have to be sure that they have the money to cope with the higher vet bills, which are more likely to occur with a FIV cat versus a healthy clear cat.

Originally posted by PayItForward
    The experts recommend that a FIV positive cats should live with other positive cats or on their own. As there is a 2% chance of catching FIV from a postive feline house mate during normal living enviroment. .....
    Also an owner taking on a FIV cat will have to be sure that they have the money to cope with the higher vet bills, which are more likely to occur with a FIV cat versus a healthy clear cat.
    See edits above.

Jenny, I am glad you saw this (I was actually going to contact you directly) you were always very good at helping me with my articles.

I feel that as long as we (as a rescue) are open and honest with the public, the decision should be up to them to choose to adopt an FIV + cat or not. My main goal is to help overcome some of the fear that goes with this diagnosis.

that is enlightening,as there are many,many Cats,given up needlessly,as thier Guardians,equate FIP,with AIDS,and think,that the Cats,have to go,right away,and you are to be commended,for setting,the story,straight.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Gary FIV is the equal to AIDS....FIP is a different, more nasty diesaes.

I too wonder why these illnesses must be so close in spelling?

Originally posted by jenluckenbach
    See edits above.

Jenny, I am glad you saw this (I was actually going to contact you directly) you were always very good at helping me with my articles.

I feel that as long as we (as a rescue) are open and honest with the public, the decision should be up to them to choose to adopt an FIV + cat or not. My main goal is to help overcome some of the fear that goes with this diagnosis.
    If you can wait a week, I can help with the article, as I am chocker with work this week.

Craftlady, didn't Butterscotch have Feline Leukemia? (FeLV)

Originally posted by jenluckenbach
    Craftlady, didn't Butterscotch have Feline Leukemia? (FeLV)
    Yep he had Feline Leukemia. Hubby just corrected me too. CRS strikes again.
    Thus, I deleted my original post.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Originally posted by Craftlady
    Yep he had Feline Leukemia. Hubby just corrected me. Confussion strikes again
    Don't feel bad about the confusion. TOO many people confuse them and this is part of the reason I think we need to educate the public.

Jen,

You article sounds real good. I got your pm and I will give you more details hopefully later on tonight after I get my work done(I am at work right now). I would add about these shots that can be given at the vet that hopefully keeps them in remission so that they might live longer. Some vets give interferon but my gives a medicine called egstim. Ivy started out getting it once a month, but now has to get it every two weeks. The shot costs $20.00. The thing with it though once you start it you need to keep it up and not be late with it. If the person adopting a FIV+ cat isn't willing to do this or isn't able to afford it then it would be better off if they didn't adopt the cat. Also there seems to be differing views about giving an FIV+ cat yearly vaccinations. Mine has always siad to but I know a person with an FIV+ cat that there vet says NO don't give vaccinations at all. Also there is differing opinions about whether it is safe to put them with negative cats even if they don't fight etc. My vet strongly believes that they shouldn't ever be put with healthy cats but then other vets say it is ok as long as they don't fight. I guess only GOD knows for sure about that. But I have known people that put FIV+ cats and Negative ones together and seem to have had no problems. The thing with FIV+ cats is that their immune system is bad to none existant to where I think it is more dangerous for the FIV+ cat to be with the others. And I say that because for example, my so called "healthy" cat are always sick with allergies and URIs. If Ivy lived with me and my other cats I would be more worried that Ivy would get something from my others and die because his immune system couldn't handle it. That is why I think that is a very personal decision that the person has to make whether or not to put an FIV+ cat into a home with healthy ones. I will give you more details of my experience later.
    Melissa

The thing with FIV+ cats is that their immune system is bad to none existant to where I think it is more dangerous for the FIV+ cat to be with the others.
    This is true...I should try to add this in the flier.

I too have found varying opinions on vaccinations. You are SO correct to say that only God really knows. So much more needs to be researched.

Jen
    Everything sounds really good. I found a few websites that might also be helpful. I'm sure you've done your research, but I'll share these:

http://www.furryfriendsfoundation.co...Cats/noble.htm
    http://www.shadowcats.net/Humane_Edu...seases/fiv.htm
    http://www.foha.org/special_needs_kids2_FIVcats.htm
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Jen,
    I pm ed you but it was so long I had to break it up into three parts so the last part is the first on the list i guess. Hope it makes sense.
    Melissa