Thread: Can a hawk pick up my cat?

Threaded View

Can a hawk pick up my cat?

We moved last September, we're not in the country (Clarence, NY, suburb of Buffalo), but we have woods in our back yard. My cats are indoor cats, but I like to take them outside on a leash in the front and back yard to let them enjoy the sun in the summer. Tobi (girl) will be 1 year old in April and Jax (boy) will be 1 year old in May. When they were weighed in October, he was 6.75lbs. and she was 7.75lbs. Last September I noticed hawks circling in the sky everyday!!! I saw them in our trees, too!!!! They're pretty big, too! Anyway, I don't have any experience with hawks or predators, I was wondering, can they/would they pick up my cats and carry them off? Right now the trees are bare and we have a few feet of snow everywhere (lovely Buffalo winter, yuck) so I can see clearly all the tree branches and I just noticed a hawk sitting right at the top in one of our trees in the woods. They are still around!!! Would they attack my cats with me there? I bought a kitty walk town and country for this summer, it's an enclosed cage type thing for the cats to be in outside. It's made of mesh (industrial strength fishnet, woven to a metal hoop). The hawks can't go through that, right?
    Attached Images Attached Images