Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: hmmmmm.........what to do

Hybrid View

hmmmmm.........what to do

I have talked many times on here about where I walk my dogs, it is outside of city limits and way in the bush! Today was beautiful, +8 degrees and I had no work and no plans so I decided we were hiking! About an hour and a half into the bush, I noticed a little head pop up from behind a tree. I thought we had come across a wolf pup (time to get out of here!). Bud and Tash, much to my dismay, ran up to it and started making friends. I managed to get close enough to realize it wasn't a wolf but it wouldn't come anywhere near me, tail between it's legs, etc. We were at least 45 minutes from the nearest house and this dog had obviously been here awhile, you could tell by the "bed" he had made in the snow and all the tracks around it. He followed along and I made repeated attempts to pet him but he wouldn't come anywhere near me, he wasn't aggressive, just very timid. By this time I had already decided he was coming with me! It took about an hour of intermittant attempts to get him to come to me, but I eventually got a leash on him and brought him home (he was not happy!). The way he acted, I wouldn't be surprised to find out he had never been in a house, he was absolutely terrified and was trying to claw through the window. Anyway, I called the SPCA and they came and got him but now I'm kicking myself. I'm sure he has no home. I took a few pictures of him.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Anyway, truth be told I am considering going down tomorrow and getting him. I don't know! Thanks 4 Dog Mother, I probably never would have considered it without your comments the other day, damn you (totally kidding!).

IF (and that's a big if) I do go back to get him, where do you start with a dog that is terrified to be inside a house? Bud and Tash sure liked him. Dammit!! While waiting for the spca I sat beside him and just stroked him trying to soothe him and he was so sweet! I'm sure the poor little buggar was sleeping where I found him last week when it was in the -30's at night. DAMMIT!! And he is SO skinny, poor litttle guy. Oh well, just thinking "out loud" here.
    Steve

Thanks Lexi_Lover

"Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." -- Mark Twain

"Don't count the days. Make the days count." -- Muhammad Ali

What a sweetie!! I think adding another needy dog to your home would be wonderful...we do quite well with three here

Butif it isn't to be, don't feel bad either...you helped get himout of the cold, and if your house isn't the one, there is a good home out there for him!

(Is he safe where he is?)

Awwwwww! If Bud and Tasha like him, ....

Very slowly and carefully is how you start. Crate training, maybe, to give him a "hidey spot" where he can feel safe. What did he think of your two?

AWWWWW he's adorable! What a sweet face....that's so sad how scared the poor guy was. I think Bud and Tasha would love to have another doggy friend *nudge, nudge* I'm not sure what to say about introducing him to the house other than going slowly and making it a really positive experience for him.

Re: hmmmmm.........what to do

Originally posted by schteve_d
    Anyway, truth be told I am considering going down tomorrow and getting him. I don't know!
    I triple dog dare you!

Really, my first question is the same as Amy's (Cincy'sMom) - is he safe there, or is he in danger of being PTS because of his timidity and history?

If so, get your booty down there, asap. If not, maybe take your time and think it over? Make sure you can handle it first. Then get your booty down there and get him!

To answer the questions: Cincy'sMom: He is safe for now. To be honest I don't know what the local SPCA's policy is regarding length of time to keep a dog, etc. Karen: He loved Bud and Tash (more Tasha), the three of them played around quite a bit in the snow on the way back before I could get a leash on him, again, more him and Tasha.
    I could go on and on pretending I'm not sure what to do, but I will have to admit to myself at some time tonight that I am going there tomorrow and very likely have a new dog!
    Steve

Thanks Lexi_Lover

By the way Cincy'sMom, I love the quote in your siggy. I, myself, have very much found that to be true!!
    Steve

Thanks Lexi_Lover

As if I could say NO I have 2 newfys and a springer and 3 cats and One very old rabbit. 3 dogs is no more work once you get him acustom to the rules and get him comfortable. Your pups have let you know they don't mind another sibling.

As if I could say NO I have 2 newfys and a springer and 3 cats and One very old rabbit. 3 dogs is no more work once you get him acustom to the rules and get him comfortable. Your pups have let you know they don't mind another sibling.

You were meant to find this dog. He's going to need someone who's understanding and has the patience to deal with his shyness. People looking to adopt from that shelter aren't likely to want a grown dog with issues and he'll get passed up because he's not perfect. If you're ready for the commitment of 3 dogs, go for it. You know he gets along with your dogs and that's the most important thing, they will be good influences on him and help bring him out of his shell. I agree with Karen, get him a crate or a room he can call his own. Once he's had a taste of the inside life, he won't want to go back out.

Well, I went down first thing this morning as I had made up my mind. They think they have an owner, she is going to stop by sometime today to see if it is him. He has been missing for "some time" is all the lady told me and since they possibly have an owner I was not allowed to see him. I am to phone later this afternoon to find out if the owner has claimed him, if not he will come up for adoption on Monday. I suppose that's good news that he possibly does have an owner but I have to admit I'm a little disappointed after spending all last night convincing myself!
    Steve

Thanks Lexi_Lover

I wonder how hard this owner has been looking for the dog? I don't consider them to be very concerned if I don't see sings posted. I hope everything works out for this poor dog. Don't be too disappointed yet, you may still get this guy. I would be curious to know what the owner's excuse is...and it better be good.

I'm sure you are very disaapointed this might not work out...but think ofthe good...1. You helped a dog find his home (maybe). 2. You have learned your dogs probally would accept another. 3. You have realized you are ready to accept a third. Maybe he will be the dog for you, and maybe not...but don't worry , there are plenty out there looking for good homes!!

Amy told me about this thread so I had to check in. First off, what a cutie you found. And if I were you I sure would be disappointed if I didn't get him. But I am a true believer that if it was meant to be it will be! As Amy said maybe this happened to just open your mind to accept a third dog if another comes along that needs a home.

I just hope that if this dog does belong to this other person, that they will take care of him this time. I know some people believe that dogs belong outside but I wonder if this poor dog is being protected from the weather in his old home. I wonder if the Humane Society would pass your name on to her so if she would decide that she doesn't want him, she could call you. And I know I am passing judgement on this owner but I would be checking that spot out again in a few days to see if the dog has run away again. (I am not sure I would return him a second time.)

I hope this person is not the owner. I think this dog would be a great addition to your fur family. I think a crate might be a good idea so he would have a place of his own. With your other two dogs to show him the way, it probably won't take long for him to understand that being inside is a good thing!

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

I meant to post earlier but I am a single fellow now so all my married friends use my house as their retreat! Anyway, I'm really irritated now. Let my start by saying that if Bud and/or Tash went missing for ANY length of time, let alone "some time" and someone phoned to say they might have them, I would be there awfully quick. Well, I phoned the SPCA at 2 minutes to 5 to see if the people identified the pup as their dog, well, they were so excited that someone may have found their dog, you know what they did? NOTHING!!! They didn't show up at all to see. I can only hope now that they don't show up at all as on Monday he comes up for adoption. We may yet have a happy ending!! It is probably not fair to say as I obviously don't know the owners or anything about them, and of course any number of things could have happened to stop them from making it there today, but I am well on my way to convincing myself that this little fella is far better of with me. Here's hoping!! Anyway, I'm sorry if I haven't answered any questions asked as I don't have time to read the posts (I still have married friends arguing in my kitchen!) but I will get back to you all tomorrow. I am hoping if they didn't show up, I can at least see him!
    Steve

Thanks Lexi_Lover