Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: hmmmmm.........what to do

Yeah Phred,!!!!

How True!!!!!

Please don't lose patience....Just Make sure that "Woody" is SAFE!!!!
    I am Really starting to Wonder about this place!!!!!

But that is NOT for Me to say...

Good Luck,Steve...Try again tomorrow!!
    The Deli Dog

I want to Honor All of Our Rainbow Bridge Furkids

Well, I did some re-arranging to my schedule and have decided that Buddy, Tasha and I are going to walk there tomorrow, I can't imagine it will take more than 1/2 hour to walk there. I have no idea how I think that will help, but............I've tried everything else!

I didn't mean my earlier post to sound like it probably did; I am not about to go walking in there ranting and raving as I am just not like that and I am fully aware that if I did, it would hurt my case far more than help it. I am just frustrated.

This time (I've said this before!) I hope to post better news tomorrow.
    Steve

Thanks Lexi_Lover

"Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." -- Mark Twain

"Don't count the days. Make the days count." -- Muhammad Ali

Originally posted by schteve_d

... Buddy, Tasha and I are going to walk there tomorrow,
    I can't imagine it will take more than 1/2 hour to walk there.

I have no idea how I think that will help,
    but... I've tried everything else!

'Member to take your CheckBook and an "extra" leash...

Hopefully you'll need them!

**SMILE** when you go in.

Good Luck!

/s/ Phred
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Thats' Right Phred.....

Good Luck!!
    The Deli Dog

I know it's frustrating, but hang in there. I don't know about the shelter you are talking about - but in fairness to shelter workers across the globe, please keep in mind a couple of things.

Shelter work is a highly stressful, high burnout job. Since it doesn't pay much, most get itto the field because they are very committed to animal welfare. After a few years of watching forced euthanasia for varying reasons, the stress can get to be too much and the stress and frustration they feel sometimes comes across as rude behavior.

Shelters are notoriously understaffed. They do not have the manpower or time to follow up to make sure that people follow through with promises. I agree with the shelter that they cannot release the dog for adoption before it is neutered. I know in the city shelter where I volunteer, they do not spay/neuter before adoption, instead requiring a deposit check that the adopter gets back once the spay certificate is brought back. I also know for a fact that there are many times that the alter surgery is not done and the deposit check is never cashed - instead siting in a drawer for years.

Most shelters are open admission facilities, which means they take all animals and then have to make hard decisions. They are not only responsible for the welfare of the animals, but also the welfare of the community. Sometimes the choices they have to make are heartbreaking and a little compassion goes a long way.

Most vets that do work for shelters also have their own practices to maintain. The work they do for the shelters in on their own time, or only during certain days and times. Many times the shelter has to take whatever time the vet can give them and if the vet is especially busy - non emergency services have to wait.

I am by no means defending their actions, I am just trying to explain their side. I would suggest that you contact the director and let him/her know in a friendly and positive way that although you understand how difficult it is for the staff, you are very committed to this adoption and you sincerely want to take this dog into your loving home. Then ask what you can do to expedite the process and make sure that this dog is home before the weekend.

Good Luck - and hang in there.

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    Do you know what their policy is on 'stray holds'? Depending on the shelter, some range anywhere from 3 days to 10 where it's required they hold the pet in case an owner shows up. I wonder if this is why they're giving you the run around? As far as names go (I do like the name Champ too) all three of our dogs come running when you say one name. They do know their own names, but think it may be treats time, so they don't want to miss out lol! Can't wait to hear good news on the pup! (Woody?)
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Oh the suspense of waiting for today's post.

I just got back from the SPCA, it's not exactly what I was hoping for but I guess it'll have to do: My application was approved. He is scheduled for his neutering next wednesday so I can take him home next thursday. It's longer than I would have liked but at least now I know! There is no way that I can foster him or anything, all due to his not being neutered.

Bud, Tash and I got to take him out for a long walk today!! It was great, though he needs some work on his leash manners! The three of them got along fantastic again and he seemed really excited just to get out of there for awhile.

Bud and Tash are absolutely exhausted now as I decided to walk them there. The round trip, including our walk with Grissom (that's what they named him at the SPCA but it's not gonna last!) took us 3 1/2 hours!

Now that I know I can, I think I will be down walking him a few times before I can take him home. It's probably even better as Bud and Tash get to know him on "nuetral ground" first before he comes home.

So I guess everything has worked out and all I can do is wait! Thanks once again everyone, you've been great!!
    Steve

Thanks Lexi_Lover

Great news, Schteve!

Grissom

Originally posted by schteve_d

My application was approved.

He is scheduled for his neutering next wednesday,
    so I can take him home next thursday.
    There is no way that I can foster him or anything,
    all due to his not being neutered.
    OH HAPPIE DAZE!!!! +

I suppoze, in the Grande Scheme of Things,
    another almost-a-WEEK
    won't really matter to Woody/Grissom/What's-his-name...
    but it seems so Totally NOT necessary!

Are you "allowed" (and CAN you?) go back every day to give
    him a Walkie around the block??

If you can - it will build up his trust in you and help reduce
    any kennel-fears he may be developing.

Any good "Names" come to mind while you had him "out" today??

/s/ Phred
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Can you get him if you have your vet make your neuter appointment and call them to say hes ready to do it? Sounds like they have only one very over worked vet. But you would think to free up space they would move faster.
    Tip for next time you rescue call and give the tag # or take a picture in not the poor animal until youhave exshusted all other avenues.
    Glad Woody is coming home.

Corinna: That's actually not a bad idea, I think I'll check into it but it's likely too late now as my vet isn't open tomorrow so by the time I get ahold of him Monday, unless he can get him in right away, it's likely not worth it as I am, in a round-about way already paying for the neutering in the adoption fee. If it cost me an extra hundred bucks to get him a week early, it might be worth it but not for just a day or two.

C&S: I should be able to get there most days, but likely not every day. You're right, it'll be good for him trusting me and hopefully bonding with Bud and Tash (and vice versa) and it's just a nice break for him. He was so cute today, he kept stopping in front of me and jumping up on me (not necessarily good behaviour but I'll deal with that when the time comes) and just sniffing my face, like he was trying to memorize it!
    Steve

Thanks Lexi_Lover

Maybe not the best news in the world (since he didn't get to comehome yet), but great news nonetheless!!! Yeah for Woody!!!

Glad he and Buddy and Tasha still seem to be getting along!!

Can't wait for the big day!!!

He was so cute today, he kept stopping in front of me and jumping up on me (not necessarily good behaviour but I'll deal with that when the time comes) and just sniffing my face, like he was trying to memorize it!
    Good news that you finally got a date of his neuter and when you can take him home.

Your comments above were so good to here. He obviously is beginning to trust you and want to be with you. And getting along with Tasha and Buddy is so good to hear too. Looks like this was meant to be!

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

Hey,Like Phred said....In the Big Sceme of Things...Its' Good News....Hes' YOURS!!!!!!!!

Woo Hoo!!!!
    I would go there each day and CHECK on him....even if you don't have time for walkies...just go pet him and give him a treat...so he KNOWS you ....and ALSO so the SHELTER STAFF KNOW YOU and WHY YOU ARE THERE!!!!
    HE IS YOURS!!!!!!!
    It will also let him know that his stay there is Shortlived!!!

Please,Please Check on Him!?!?!

I don't know how you feel about trusting your Brand New Dog to Strangers!!!
    Like Corinna said....Maybe your vet can play advocate by making an appointment for him????
    Good Idea Corinna!!

Glad that Your Guys got along with him....Next Step,HOME!!!!!!

YEAH!!!!

Do you have a Bowl,Bed,Blankies,Toys for him????

Get that Shopping List Started!!!!

Great Job!!!!
    Congratulations!!!!
    Nicole
    The Deli Dog