Thread: My cat is losing hair and weight.

My cat is losing hair and weight.

My 9 year old cat has been losing weight slowly. Her size makes her look like a kitten. Her fur is very thin and is always cold. She lays on the heat register in my room all day. She has lost the hair un der her tail and in her private area under the tail. She seems more tired but she eats, drinks and acts like a normal cat. This has been going on for 8-10 months. She isn't suffering at all and the vet said it would cost us a lot to just find out what was wrong. He is very puzzled that she still eats and goes to the bathromm normally. We haven't taken her to the vet because we are on very limited income. What should I do?

Has he checked her kidney function?

No I haven't been to the vets because I don't have the money.

I think the symptoms look serious. You may find a vet whom you can pay in rates but you should take your cat to a vet.

yes I agree a vet is the way you need to consider.
    Call all the vets in your area. Go see them personally. See if you can't find one who will help by accepting payments. Maybe while you have them on the phone or speaking to them in person tell them her symptoms and see if you can't find out what it could be that way. Good Luck

I just talked to our local animal shelter and they have a vet that comes in once a week. W/O seeing her she was saying it is probably a flea allergy. She has had fleas all her life off and on and they have been taken care. She just sarted having this problem last year. They only charge $15.00 for a vet visit where the other vets charge just $50 and up. I will be making an appointment for her to be seen for next Thursday. Thanks for all the advice.

Yahoo! Nice work and good for you. Please let us know what the outcome is.......If they said it sounds like fleas, does she have fleas now? I see a point about flea allergy, but the weight loss is a concern. Especially at the age of 9. Let Us Know....I will be praying for her that everything is okay.

Im not sure if this applies to cats too. But my dog had those same symptoms and we took her to the vet and she had Cushing's disease. so you might wanna atleast research that.

thanks i will check that out too.