Thread: Digging..again!!

Angry Digging..again!!

Kodie started digging again,so we have some new holes in the backyard,so we have to patch up a few spots.Were trying to figure out how to get him to stop it again.The first time we used the Remote trainer(one with the collar)and it worked wonderfully,but something happened to it and now it doesnt work. and we dont want to pay $80 for another one.
    Whats another way to get him to stop?

I know this may sound weird.. but train your dog to dig on command.. and most of the time the dog will stop digging all together except for when you tell him to dig.

that is one way.. now I have a dog that likes to dig and I did that and it worked but every time I go into the back yard with her now she looks at the ground and looks at me and wines cus she wants to dig..

So then I went ahead and trained my dog that it was ok to dig in the dirt portion I left just for her on the side yard in the back but not on the grass or gravel.. and she loves it and she only digs in that one spot.

yet another method would be to use the hose to squirt your dog with after you say no if it doesn't stop digging.. and most dogs do not like to get squirted with water...with proly the exception of mine she is just a water rat so I had to use a soda can with a few pennies inside and toss that at her instead of the water thing..hehehe

Back when I cared about my yard, I used something similar to above post. The dogs had a large sandbox filled with dirt and sand. They could dig to their hearts' content in there. To teach them to do so and keep them interested, I would hide treats, toys ect in the dirt for them to find.

Now that I have more dogs, I've given up hope and just try to remember where the "human traps" are!

You might try burying his feces in the holes when you fill them. That stops some dogs.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

My backyard has gone to the dogs too. If digging for the sake of digging makes them happy and tired, dig on lil doggies. My front yard is my pretty yard and no one sees the back anyway.

Glacier's suggestions are going to be the best and cheapest solutions. Kodie will learn that digging in the yard will only lead to poop and digging in a sand box will get him treats. Good luck.

My mom met a lady this morning,and she said that the lady put "Moth Balls" in the holes,and he stopped digging.So were going to try that( my mom got the moth balls already.so were going to try)..if that doesnt work then ill do what you guys suggested.

thanks!

6. What are moth ballsLexi digs a lot too!

I hope moth balls aren't toxic just in case Kodie finds them to be yummy.