Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: THEY HATCHED, THEY HATCHED, THEY HATCHED!

THEY HATCHED, THEY HATCHED, THEY HATCHED!

WOW, On Sunday morning, I went to give the birds their food and change their water. Noticed that Delilah was acting funny. (Really weird noises) Looked but saw nothing. On Monday, I went to clean out the cage. Decided that it had been long enough (internet says 18-24 days.) and lo and behold, there were two itty bitty pink naked chicks. They are so itty bitty tiny.

WHAT DO I DO NOW????

Hi! How exciting! Congratulations to everyone!
    When you first posted in http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/Forum18/HTML/000037.html
    AdoreMyDogs gave a very complete answer to many questions including:
    If they do end up hatching chicks, the parents will do all the hard stuff, not much for you to worry about. But please keep in mind that birds need a huge variety of foods for proper health, especially when rearing chicks. If you give them a strictly seed diet, it's not only uninteresting and incomplete to the parents, but it may effect the growth and health of the chicks.

You should re-read her whole answer over there, it's very complete.

we are going today to Petsmart to see what they reccomend . Thanks Karen for smacking me back into reality. I was so excited that I forgot all about the other post.

So how are they???? Give us an update on the babies. How exciting!

I bought nesting food for the parents. The two little chicks are doing just fine. I am reading everything that i can find. I am not going to hand feed them, because I don't want to do something wrong, maybe next time

How incredibly exciting!!! Those little guys have more Aunts and Uncles out there who will want to know every little morsel of information about them. When you can take the time, please let us know EVERYTHING! And here I thought you were just "egging" us on. I sincerely apologize. Congratulations!!!

Oh congratulations!!!! I read your first "fearful" post when the eggs were laid! And now you're a.....stepmother??? How sweet. I wish I could have that experience one day! You are doing one terrific job! Keep us updated! (Any chance of a pic?)

Actually, we bought a digital camera not too long ago. But, I have a redish cast to the pictures. I need to work out the bugs

Anyway, the babies opened their eyes on Monday. They are getting fuzzy They are still so ugly ...that they are cute. I don't have a clue as to what I am going to do with them

Oh my gosh...I just now noticed this post! I have been playing catch-up since my business trip to Chicago area last week. CONGRATS! I am so happy for you and for the proud bird parents I hope all is well, and I hope you enjoy every second of it

I know I can speak for all of us - we will be anxious to see your pictures whenever you have time. I bet when they get a bit older you will have many takers - that is if you can part with them.

------------------

oh boy, my parakeets have layed two eggs so far. My parakeets are little boogers. I have never been able to hand tame them. I see all of these posts on here about parakeets and all of the pictures of them, and how sweet they are. My parakeets can be sweet one day and bite a chunk out of you the next day. I think that they don't like me because they don't like to be held down to have their nails clipped. Anyway, this is leading somewhere. I found out this morning that one of the little stinkers bit a hole through one of the eggs. so, I don't think that we will be having any baby parakeets.

I know that I shouldn't have done it, but i put the other egg in with the lovebirds. She actually took to it very quickly and started guarding it and sitting on it.

Another thing- the lovebirds are doing the "Birdy Dance" again. Won't this hinder the birds in some way....if they have another clutch so early?

this is driving me crazy....how do i add photos?

Originally posted by HowieDawn:
    this is driving me crazy....how do i add photos?
       If you type [img] then a URL to an image followed by [/img] the photo will appear in your posted message. [img]some_URL[/img]

It may be easier for you to email me ( [email protected]) an image(s). I will put them on the PetoftheDay.com server and email you the text to add to your messages.

I know we should have much better instructions on the website.

This is a picture of one of the lovebirds. It is 4 days old here. Ugly Ugly Ugly!!!

Thanks Paul! Hopefully this worked

Wow! That's amazing, a teeny teeny bird! We'll all look forward to more pictures as they grow. How old are they now?