Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about age differences in relationships?

What do you think about age differences in relationships?

What do you think about a 19 year old and a 25 year old dating? The 19 year old will be 20 shortly, if that makes a difference. I just want opinions.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

I don't think that's bad at all...

Thank you Wolf_Q!

6 years is a very normal difference if you look at married people. Of course it will play a bigger role if one is 14 and the other 20.

I don't even begin to know where I'm "from"
    I think it depends more on the situation than the actual ages. I've seen totally healthy relationships with this age difference, and I've also seen not-so-healthy ones.

Then again, unhealthy relationships exist in every striation you could come up with, so...

Who is this 25 y/o? (now that you've got our attention! )

Hehe, I knew someone would ask that! I'm the 25 year old.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

My husband is exactly 10 years and 5 days older than I am.

I am 42. my husband of 21 years is 60. we met when I was 18 and he was 36.

I am remarried now but my ex was 40 when we got married and I was 23...17 years difference...and that had nothing to do with our getting a divorce..we were married 16 years.

Thanks everyone. I feel much better now. I just really like this guy a lot. But the age thing made me uneasy because my roomates were teasing me about it. I guess it shouldn't matter what other people say right? You guys made me feel a lot better.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

It depends so much more on the maturity of the people involved than chronological age! My mom was 4 years older than my Dad, which was unheard of - the ages were "supposed" to be reversed, according to her friends at the time, but they were all just delighted she was getting married. She got married on her 29th birthday, so was practically an "old maid" by their estimations!

Originally posted by Karen
    She got married on her 29th birthday, so was practically an "old maid" by their estimations!
    You know that in Japan a girl as old as that is called a Christmas Cake? Because the Cake is no longer fresh after the 25th.

I always thought it very stupid to think like that. Of course there are marriages with very young people who work out well but in general if you marry too early it is more difficult.

I think it really depends on the people. My husband is 11 1/2 years older then me. He is 35 and I will 24 in May we have been married for almost 6 years.
    "Careful what you say, careful what you wish or it may just regret it!"

Nothing to think about. That's not bad at all. Actually, I don't think it should matter at all. If people can be happy(as long as it's not breaking the law about it) I don't think it should matter. Happiness is happiness.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

My dad was under 21 when he married my mom (she's a couple years older than him)

My ex-bf was 5 years younger than I.

Andy is 5 years older than me. (I'm 27 and he's 32)

I think it all depends on where the age difference is.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

It depends on what you want. I am 26 and could NEVER be happy with a 20 year old. Why? Because they're at a very different place in life than I am. I want to come home from work and be with my husband. Not meet him at a bar/club and get drunk. I want to start a family in the next year or two, not yell at him for staying out until 2:30am for the 12th time in a row. I'm not saying every 19-20 year old's mindset is to get drunk, I'm just saying they aren't thinking like a 26 (or older) man would be. They're at the "I want to have fun" stage, having just been legally "liberated" from their parents.

To me, six years stops making such a different once the youngest person is in their later mid-20s like 26, 27. You've had your fun, you've had your "you" time and now you're ready to shape your future.

But that's just me. If you're not interested in settling down and this would make you happy, have your fun. I'm just telling you what would be going through my mind, that's all.

Good luck.