Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When you book a hotel room ...

When you book a hotel room ...

... what are your top 5 priorities?

Mine are:

A comfy bed.
    Quiet surroundings .... at least at night!
    A good shower - one that doesn't spray in all other directions.
    A top floor room, facing north if it's a hot place - and preferably with a good view.
    Thick curtains which keep the light out.

What's yours?

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Number one is they have to be pet friendly. If they don't take my dogs, they don't take me.

Convenient location
    firm bed
    good shower
    individual room temperature control (even if that means a window that opens!) I cannot sleep if it is warm...
    the fifth would be between a restaurant on premise or internet connection (most my travel is busiess!)

I always sleep with the curtains slightly open. It is a long story but I once feel asleep in my hotel room...woke up...looked at my watch on the nightstand and in a panic realized I was late. Quickly showered, dressed, made up and shot out o the room....to see total darkness. After a brief moment of thinking the world had ended I looked at my watch ---right side up -- and found it was 2:00 in the morning...not 7:30.....

Here is my top-5 !!

1) I want a comfy bed with a good matress (important for my back and a good night-rest!!)
    2) I hate it when the curtains are to narrow, so large thick curtains are my nr 2!
    3) A practical bathroom, with at least a clean toilet, and a working shower.
    4 )2 easy chairs, as we both love reading a book before going to bed.
    5) a TV-set. I don't really need it, but my hubby loves to watch CNN every day
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
    After a brief moment of thinking the world had ended I looked at my watch ---right side up -- and found it was 2:00 in the morning...not 7:30.....

Since my bed is always comfy and my shower is always just right (although somtimes a little too short to save on water), the things I look for are
    1) Big enough
    2) Scenery
    3) Quiet
    4) Electricity & sewer
    5) Amenities (hot tub, internet access, pool, etc.)

Of course most of my bookings are for campgrounds, so my requirements would be a bit different.

Seriously, since we got the motorhome, I don't remember the last time I stayed in a hotel room. Just think - always pet friendly, my sheets, so I know they're clean and who's been sleeping in them, restaraunt just a few steps away from the bedroom - although if you want something hot you have to heat it yourself, but you don't have to worry about getting dressed before having your first cup of coffee in the morning...can't beat it!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

1. Nonsmoking floor.

1. Nonsmoking
    2. Suites available (we never travel without the kids) or at least 2 double beds and a pullout couch.
    3. Breakfast included?
    4. This one goes to how snobby I am... when did they last renovate the room? The last time we went away we stayed in a hotel that had a new addition. We requested a room in that section, were promised a room in that area... and got one in the old section with mold EVERYWHERE in the bathroom, BLOOD on the mattress, I'm not even going into how bad the room was. I complained and they DID take 25% off the bill. The room next to ours had a broken AC unit.. and it was Virginia in June - HOT and HUMID. Poor prople in that room! So never aghain am I booking a hotel room until I know when it was renovated. At least then my chances of a mold free cooled environment are high.

After my horrible experience with Motel 6 last year, my standards are VERY high. I won't pay less then $150 a night for a room now. It's got to be tip top shape clean with the best patrons.

Motel 6 thread

Thank you Wolfie!

Pet Friendly
    Cable TV
    King Size Bed
    Good AC or Heat
    separate vanity from bathroom

I hate hotels anyway. But if I have to stay in a hotel, it has to be -- at least the 5th floor
    - clean
    - tv
    - nice restaurant
    - big beds (I hate separate beds, esp at seaside. Who goes to the seaside to sleep on separate beds?!?!). This summer I went to Odessa and we moved the beds to make a big one, so they asked us to move them back TO NORMAL when we were leaving NORMAL

1- Pet friendly
    2- Safe area
    3- Clean
    4- Comfy beds
    5- Well heated if winter/well ACed if summer

This past Christmas we were going away so I had to call around to find a dog-friendly hotel. I called one place, I asked if they would allow a small dog, the guy told me, "no we don't allow any kind of animals, does the dog really have to go with you?" I laughed and said, he's not old enough to stay home alone yet. Of course he has to come with us!

Another hotel told me they do not allow animals but that there was an animal daycare across the street that we can bring him to stay with. (of course for an expensive amount of money)

Let's see, another told me they allow animals but wanted to charge me $75.00 US extra. (not a deposit, just an extra charge on top of my bill)

Other places wanted a deposits anywhere from $10.00 US up to $50.00 US.

I finally found a reasonable hotel that didn't charge extra or require a deposit.

.:. To love someone is to learn the song in their heart and sing it to them when they have forgotten it .:.

I hate, hate, hate having to hear the plumbing from toilets and showers in other rooms! ARGHHHHHH! I don't know how many nights I've been kept awake from numpties who take 20 minute showers at 3 in the morning!

I like a choice of pillows, good room service and knowledgable staff if I need to dash out for a meal, chemist or anything where I don't know where I am.
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

The exact location
       Availability and cost of parking
       Price
       Internet access
       Size and quality of room

Miss Hoppy stays home.

Paul

Good mattress
    AC that can be stopped (I HATE to hear the sound all night long)
    Quiet
    Not too small (if you travelled in Europe you knew what I mean, in the US usually they don't put you in a closet)
    One big bed- I'm just like Vio if it comes to that

Location, Location, Location
    A/C and not stuffy ( I run A/c almost all year... )
    Internet Access
    Clean
    Cable TV