Thread: Hamsters

Hamsters

Does anyone else out there enjoy hamsters? We currently have two, Evelyn and Phoebe, who live in separate cages in my home office. They are a joy. Just have to be careful with so many dogs and cats around here that would love to get a taste. Phoebe is an escape artist. I recently had to remove the tube and tree house from her acquarium as she was using it as leverage to wedge herself up to the top of the cage and chew out of the lid!! She has escaped five times so far and everytime I think she uses up another life. So far, I've found her quickly, but she lost her privledges as her safety is in question.
    What is a good way to entertain them besides the wheel? Also, any ideas on what else they can eat besides their regular food? They love yogurt drops, but I am wondering about fresh fruit and vegetables.
    I'd love to hear some other hamster lover stories.

When I was a little girl I always had a hamster or two. Here is what i learned about food.
    Some vegetables that are good for your hammy are:
    broccoli
    cauliflower
    parsley
    turnips
    carrots
    spinach
    ~cabbage
    ~lettuce (not iceberg lettuce)
    ~ = small amounts only

They also like fruits but only give them a little a day. Such as

apples
    grapes
    tomato
    pear

But you need to keep in mind that the fruits will go bad fast so do not keep them in there longer than a day.

If you have any more questions, just ask!

Thanks for the answers! I didn't think anyone was going to respond. This section doesn't get quite as much action as the Dog and Cat sections. Anyway, I know that Evelyn and Phoebe will love your suggestions. Do you have a hamster now? Ours are supposedly for my daughter, but I seem to be the one who enjoys them the most! I grew up with them too, but just couldn't remember doing anything real special for them in the way of food.

Another Hamster question for you since you were so helpful about the food. Have you ever had hamsters that seemed to just go "nuts" to get out of their cages? I switched to 10 gallon aquariums for them because of safety concerns after one of the wire cages was knocked to the floor by a big dog. The hamster survived, by the way. But, both of them appear to be frantic when they are awake. I had a tube and tree house in both, but the one used the tube as leverage to chew her way out of the aquarium lid, so I had to take it out. She just strains to reach up to the top, standing on every plaything she has. Last night she actually was trying to jump on her water bottle which hangs down. They have good wheels that they run on and other things to play with, but I think they miss climbing. We occasionally let them run around in the hamster ball, but have to be careful about that because of two dogs and a cat in the house. Any suggestions for something I could do to make them happier? I don't want to invest in large plastic cages because one of them has just about chewed through the plastic on her tube and treehouse. I just want them to be happy!

i have one hamster her name suzy and she is a little over a year does any one know how much attension hamsters need and how long they live

barkmeow:
    I had hamsters as a child and I can't remember how long they lived. Rusty, who died in April, was full grown when we got him and he lived about 2 1/2 years. He was a joy. He did escape twice in his life, but never went far.
    The two we have now, Evelyn and Phoebe, live in separate aquariums and love as much attention as we have time to give them. Problem is, they get active right when we're settling down for the night.
    I just need to find some new ways to stimulate them. They live to find a way to get out of their cages!

Try giving your hamsters a sand and sterilised compost mix as a base in their tanks. Make it as deeep as you can - they love to dig.

Carrie,
    Where can I find sterilized compost? Isn't it a little dirty? I'll do anything to entertain these girls better.

Hi,
    Most garden centres have mushroom compost which is sterilised. Mix it with plenty of sand or try cactus soil. If the compost is a little damp when you open the bag leave it spread out on a tray for a few days.

Thanks Carrie. I'll keep you posted on how they do.
    Have a great day!

One of the reasons I stopped keeping Hamsters is that it always broke my heart that all they wanted to do was escape. My first two hamsters I got when I was 13 ( I'm 31 now) and they used to escape those Habitrail cages all the time. They'd always climb on my bed though,and wake me up, instead of running away. Those were the nicest hamsters! I've had about 5 or 6 others since then, till my last one died after a tragic wheel accident.

I keep rats now, and they are wonderful! But my daughter wants a hamster , too. I think she'll be disappointed after having the rats.

Doxiedoxie,
    Do you know what the origin of a hamster is? Mine sound just like the ones you had. When they do escape, luckily I always find them in the just about the same spot. Once, Rusty (who has passed away now), got in my daughter's bed in the middle of the night. She came in my room crying about Rusty being in her bed. Of course I thought it was a dream, and low and behold, there he was, in her bed!!! I love these sweet little animals, but know that everytime they escape, they are subject to the wrath of a cat and two big dogs. So far, so good, but our luck could run out!!!