Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My friend got offered 10k to breed her dog...

My friend got offered 10k to breed her dog...

Awww, jeez. My girlfriend has a BEAUTIFUL all white American Bulldog. I'll admit that he's one of the best dogs I've ever met. His temprament is unbelievable. I'm not big about breeding, but if someone is going to breed an ABD, I do think he's the perfect candidate. But worth 10k? BS!

She was at Petsmart and some guy approached her saying some crap about how he's a ABD breeder and he's been looking for a white like Jimmy for years. He offered her 10k to stud him. She got all excited about it and gave him her number. He called her and is supposedly having his lawyer send her some contract papers.

It sounds like crap to me. Why wouldn't he offer to just buy the dog for that price? Jimmy isn't even proven. He's never been bred. My friend is inexperienced so he could have easily offered her $1000 and she would have taken.

I'm totally skeptical, but my friend is clueless. I think the prospect of $10,000 has her thinking unclearly.

What do you think his motives are?

Thank you Wolfie!

Yikes. I wouldn't trust him... Why isn't her Bulldog neutered yet? Did the guy say WHY he wants to breed his dog to her dog? I wouldn't trust him at all... Kinda sounds like he's up to no good... v_v

I wouldn't trust him it sounds like bs and I wouldn't breed any of my dogs period!! just my 2 cents
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Jimmy isn't neutered because his breeder had told her he was excellent standard and suggested that he be bred someday. She was never interested in breeding him because he's a pet to her but she was never real concerned about altering him either. I think she wanted her options to be open.

It never bothered me much because I knew that she's smart enough to not attempt breeding alone. I know she'd go above and beyond using expert's help. I also knew that she leaned more towards not breeding him because she thought it was unfair to the homeless animals and she felt breeding was to much trouble for her. She'd rather Jimmy just be her pet.

I also wasn't to worried because I do agree that Jimmy is above standards. I don't care for breeding, but I save my energy for the idiots that are trying to breed mutts and/or dogs with horrible qualities. It isn't my place to force her to neuter him. I'd never been that worried about him being unaltered because she has never really intended on breeding him.

But now that this has come about, I'm kind of confused. I was thinking that maybe he wants to steal Jimmy. He did say that Jimmy would come to his place...I believe that normally the female to supposed to come to the male. I don't know. I told her not to make a move without me. Maybe she'll never hear from him again, who knows. Maybe that was his way of picking up on her. She's supposed to call me when she hears back from him.

Thank you Wolfie!

Sounds very suspicious to me. Do they use ABD's for fighting? I would think if this guy wanted to breed that bad then he would want a return on his investment. Unless his bitch has 10 pups and they are sold for $1,000 each, then he is going to lose money unless he has some other money making scheme in mind.

I know it's a tempting offer but I would turn him down. I had one of the people that got a pup from Dixie's litter offer me $5,000 if they could have Dusty. He was the pick of the litter and they wanted him desperately. One of the main reasons I bred her was so I could take pick of the litter and develop my pup from birth. I told them no and they were shocked. I think sometimes people have more money than brains. I'm glad I didn't take their offer because I am soooo in love with that boy it's not funny. He has my heart captured completely and I couldn't put a price on that at all.

Wow, That's a lot of money. If she decides to do it I would :
    1) have a lawyer draw up a contract for him to sign stating -A) the amount of money B) make it understood in a contract that regardless the number of puppies born the amount paid to your friend is the same. C) This is for one litter only. D) make it known in the contract that Jimmy is not a registered ABD.

2) I would also insist that the dog be breed at your friends house. Maybe that should be in the contract too. (if he's wiling to pay 10K and he is an honest man, then he should have no problem with that.)

I'm sure there are more to think about than this, but it's a start.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Well, i think it sounds fishy. Dale came from a very reputable breeder, and I seriously doubt, he would make such an offer to a passer by in a Petsmarts, even if the dog was of AKC standards.

I would not trust the guy, even if he bred the dogs at her house, b/c who says, after the female gets pregnant, that your friend will get a dog or the money...$10,000 is a lot for not knowing anything about the background of your friends dog. My breeder would want to know what the hips were like, what his family history, health, lineage was like, etc...just sounds weird to me...

I agree it sounds fishy. Also, when I was part of the dog show world for awhile with my collies, it was standard to ship the female to the male for breeding. 10k out of the blue seems VERY fishy, the guy doesn't even know the dog's pedigree, he just saw him in the parking lot? That is definitely weird. In my experience a responsible breeder would meticulously research kennels and their dogs and pedigrees before making a breeding proposal..
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

The man did tell her that he'd be sending Jimmy to his vet for a clearance first. And he did ask to see the pedigree. But regardless, I think it's bulls$!%.

I really doubt she'll even hear from him again! What a wierdo.

Thank you Wolfie!

I think it's also a scam.

But it's sad, that she would be willing to give him away for money.

If I understand right he wasn't offering 10K to buy the dog, he was offering 10k to breed his female with her dog, he would get the pups of course.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

I'm with Dixieland sounds like a fight promoter I wouldn't give him the time of day. I'd get the dog fixed so they don't decide to kidnap him for use.

Puh-leeze. This guy has BYB or at least a GReeder with not-so-greyt intentions written all over him. I'm friends with many people who are active in the show ring. Not one of them would dare approach an owner in PetSmart and offer 10K to breed their *es to a strange dog. For one thing, they need to have proof of OFA's, CERF's, and/or PennHips. Also, they'd need to feel around and check out the dog's bite. The dog probably wasn't standing around in a stacked position, so how the heck could the guy have known the dog was a good candidate just like that *snaps*. Even though he might've fit the standard at first glance, I know some dogs who are NEAR perfection but have minor flaws that prevent the dog from being a successful show dog. It all sounds very fishy and I'm afraid $$$ is on the potential "breeder's" mind again....

14. Hope your friend doesnt go along with it. sounds like someone has $$sings in the eyes.

Exactly Giselle!!!
    Sounds like BS to me!