Thread: puppy and Cat

puppy and Cat

my 5 year old cat is not getting along well with my 8 weeks old mini schnauzer puppy. my puppy tried to play with her a few times,, but she hit him with her paw.. and hissed..
    also my puppy is jealous and bark when i carry my cat ..
    how can i make them get along?

They will adjust - make sure to pay attention to the cat by herself sometimes, so she knows her place in your heart has not changed. Other than that, just watch them to make sure they don't do each other serious harm, and let them work it out.

The puppy will learn that kitty was there first!

btw, if u have time, have a look at them.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

4. Thats typical of cats of any age when they dont know another animal. whether it be a dog,, or even another cat. over time she'll adjust.

just make sure she doesnt hide under couches or the bed or anything like that and wait for the puppy to walk by to claw him. that creates cat haters and some real issues when the dog is an adult.

if shes real bad about clawing the puppy. theres always Soft Paws
    Last edited by Vette; 01-18-2005 at 06:48 PM.

Awwwww lookie that baby schnauzer! I had one for 16 years and I sure do miss her!

i am doing this trial and error training since there is no training book about getting your pets to get along.
    yesterday, for about half an hour, i put my puppy in his crate and the cat in her travelling cage. i put them facing each other.. and my cat.. just kept hissing at him.
    tonight, i will put the cat in the puppy's crate and the puppy in the cat's travelling cage. trying to get them to get used to each other's smell..
    i don't allow the puppy to bark at the cat, neither do i allow the cat to hissed at the dog.. just trying.. hopefully this method works..

What a beautiful pics. You have gorgeous pets!

Thats a typical behavior when adding a young pup to an older cat. Like the others said, give it time, and give each special time alone so they know they both have a special place in your heart.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I wouldn't put them in crates/cages facing each other--I think that would just make them more upset at each other. They'll work it out, mine always did over the decades. Just keep an eye on them, but it's unlikely there will be any damage. My kitties survived Rhodesian Ridgebacks, Golden REtriever and Lab/boxer puppies over the years. Lots of hissing and spitting and lashing out at first.

Everyone else has given some great advice. I don't think at this age that the cat will ever like or get along with the puppy, but she will learn to tolerate his presence and just avoid close contact.

your kitty looks like a princess (or prince)!!! Yeah, it'll take some time. They need to get used to each other. The cat views this as an invasion on it's home. And the puppy probably gets upset when you're with the cat because it's wants to play! Hope this helps.

I had this same problem when I brought home my toller pup. I got a baby gate and set up an area in the house for only the cat to go when the pup got to rowdy. Don't let the pup's whining get your attention and make you put the cat down, the pup has to learn who was here first and the cat has to feel like shes not being replaced. Also, don't punish the cat by putting her in a crate, just let her sniff the crated pup. I made sure my cat remained the alpha pet and now they get along great, although he will still swats the dog if she gets to pushy. She made a game of teasing him but she will back off when he tells her to. This is a big change for your cat, so be patient.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

my cat keep swatting him over and over again, but he still wants to play with her. i don't put my cat down even when my puppy whined.. but she will run off coz' he is too annoying... the situation is sort of like garfield and odie... odie thinks she is his best pal.. and garfield is always pushing over...

I don't pretend to be an expert, and I am only talking of one past experience so take it for what it's worth! I had Buddy and Tasha when I moved in with a girlfriend who had two cats. They essentially despised each other but we pretty much just let them figure it out for themselves and the odd part is.........they did. Don't get me wrong, we didn't lock them in a room to "sort it out", we kept a close watch on the happenings and the pups ended up with a scratched hooter now and then, but they figured it out. Thankfully, I'm done with the cats (actually I liked the cats, thankfully I'm done with her! lol). It seemed like the more we interfered and tried to effect progress, the slower it went, the more we let them figure it out themselves, within reason, the quicker it went.
    Steve

Thanks Lexi_Lover

"Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." -- Mark Twain

"Don't count the days. Make the days count." -- Muhammad Ali

hey steve,
    thanks for sharing your experience. i guess, i will let them be.. hopefully my cat won't lash out too much to make my puppy a cat hater.. anyway.. i'll let it be.

reei

they will adjust with time.

i got my sibe puppy when my cat was 5 and he hated her... well he just mainly ignored her lol. it has been 6 years and they havent killed eachother yet... lol
    so good luck witht he new pup. i am sure all will go well in time ... puppys are naturally curious of everything, so seeing a cat to them looks liek a huge play toy..

that is a cute pic by the way
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven