Thread: Dog in the rain.

Dog in the rain.

As I pulled into the parking lot of the supermarket this morning I saw a woman who had tied her dog up to a fence, in the rain, while she got herself a cup of coffee at the local java house..

She was in the process of untying the dog.

The dog was wet and his tail was in the 'I'm wet and miserable out here' position.

I wanted to scream at the stupid wench but I was really mentally tired and didn't want to cause a scene....my 25 minute drive to work had just taken me and extra hour and I was cranky....

What should I have done?

if i wouldn't be thrown in jail, i would have taken the collar/leash off her dog and put it around her and tied her to the fence. AND taken the umbrella for the doggie.

the poor doggie!!

i don't know what you would have done otherwise. sorry!
    Cathy, Sammie, & Maggie

"If you can't decide between a Shepherd, a Setter
    or a Poodle, get them all ... adopt a mutt!" -- ASPCA

Mine isn't going to be the best answer but what the heck. I would have taken the collar off the dog and left it on the ground. That way she could come out and look for her dog that she left outside in the cold and rain.

Well, I'm not sure about this.

I personally love to take walks in the rain myself, and I usually take a dog with me. We're both totally wet by the time we get home. So? We dry. And it's fun.

I guess it depends on how cold it was and how long she was in there. If she leaves the dog outside, tied to a fence, while it is 35 degrees for an hour ... yeah, I'd be ticked off. But if she runs in for five minutes, grabs a cup of coffee, and continues her walk with her dog ... so what?
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Cfuh,

I would've done the same thing. Only I would've given her a nice lecture about the proper treatment of pets while holding the umbrella over the poor doog.

Stupid irresponsible pet owners!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I would have untied the dog and sat in my car with it while she came out panicing about where her dog was. Then I would lecture her about how dangerous it is to leave a dog tied out unattended because as simple as it was for me to walk away with her dog, someone with worse intentions could have done the same thing. Why take your dog somewhere they aren't allowed?

I can't stand it when idiots here in Texas think it's ok to leave their dog in a closed car that isn't running while they go shopping in Wal-Mart in the middle of summer where the outside temp is 100 and the temp in the car is 120+ within 2 minutes.

Originally posted by Twisterdog
    Well, I'm not sure about this.

I personally love to take walks in the rain myself, and I usually take a dog with me. We're both totally wet by the time we get home. So? We dry. And it's fun.

I guess it depends on how cold it was and how long she was in there. If she leaves the dog outside, tied to a fence, while it is 35 degrees for an hour ... yeah, I'd be ticked off. But if she runs in for five minutes, grabs a cup of coffee, and continues her walk with her dog ... so what?
    I agree with this comment. Those who would un-collar the
    dog should know better than that.

If this really bothered you I would say something to the woman
    and the cafe management about allowing dogs to accompany
    patrons inside during bad weather. That seems a bit more
    constructive than outright critical remarks.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

No matter the weather, it's still not safe to leave a dog unattended outside of a store alone. It would be the same if it was a child. Anyone walking by could take the dog (or child). If you are taking your dog for a walk or a drive and you know you have to go into places that don't allow dogs, then leave the dog at home or run errands later without the dog. Unleashing the dog may not be the nicest approach, but you can't always be nice to people or try to tell them the proper way to take care of their dog cause they don't want to hear it. Unfortunately it takes something tragic happening before people "get it". So better to teach them a lesson with no harm done then to see the animal get hurt for real.

Some dogs may like rain, but it doesn't sound like this dog was having a good time.