Thread: reptile owners-- got some questions

reptile owners-- got some questions

I have a 10/20 gallon tank that is sitting in our garage empty. And I was wandering is their was any type of lizards that can be kept in a 10/20 gallon tank? I was thinking about anoles or geckos. But I would like if anyone could tell me what kind of lizards can be kept in that size of cage, so I can do some research.

Thanks!

I had two baby veiled chameleons in a 20 gallon tank, but a tank is not ideal for them. They need something with more ventilation. However, my chameleons died when I moved them to a more ventilated cage. The problem with animals like these is when they start to show signs of being sick it's already too late. Other than the chameleons I really have no other experience. Hope that helps
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

Thanks! I'll have to look them up.

I was doing some search on leopared geckos, and I read they do pretty good for a 10/20 gallon cage. but I'm still unsure about that part.

is a 10G or a 20G? the size makes alot of difference..

if you want a ground dwelling lizard i would go with a leopard gecko, they make great pets, they are nocternal, they are a destert animal so they need to have a heated area *heating mat or spot lamp*. NEVER put a heat rock in with a herp because they will lay on it much to long and get very badly burned. you can keep up to two leopard geckos on a 20G tank, either one male and a female or two females, two males will fight. Leopard geckos can eat SM-LG crickets, pin head crickets are too small, also king worms, pinky mice, meal worms, or jumbo meal worms. Leopard geckos are very sensitive to sound and touch, so if they get startled or threatened they will drop their tail as a defence mecanism, it will grow back, but it will be oddly shaped and colored... Never pick up a herp by its tail. leopard geckos can be easily hand tammed but they are not cuddly, they can be hand fed as well... males act more piggish then females. females can and will go weeks without food, using fat deposites from their tail as a source of food. males will act hungry all the time, avoid feedings day to day, only feed males once every 2-3 days at night. males will hord food and often become so obese that they die..

If you want a herp that is more watchable then touchable, like an anole, no now that they love to climb. you can keep up to 6 females per one male, if you put two males together they will fight. I would say up to 6 anoles for a 20G tank. they need a heat lamp, they cannot be handled as often because they are very skiddish herps. they also can deliver a bite worth avoiding. anoles can eat pin head crickets. anoles are called the american chameleon, because they change colors when cold, stressed, or excited. they change bright gree, pale green, forest green, or brown depending on mood. Anoles jump and climb, so make sure you have a secure lid on your tank *metal mesh screening is best for spot lighting. anoles can stick onto glass surfaces.

hope that helped a bit hun..

cheers!!
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

A few ideas:

Leopard gecko
    Fat-tailed gecko
    Banded Gecko
    House Gecko

Green Anole
    Bahaman Anole
    Whip-tailed lizard (AKA Vine-tailed lizard)
    Orange-throated skink
    Fence lizard
    Sandfish skink (A personal favorite)

IF it is a 20 gallon standard or long:

Schneider's skink
    Collared lizard
    Fire skink
    Rankin's dragon

IF it is a 20 gallon TALL:

Crested gecko
    Day gecko (The small variety, not the giant)

When you decide on a sp., let us know so we can help you out with heating/lighting and whatnot.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Thankyou Jynnelle for the lep. gecko information.

Jynnelle, when you said they can loose their tail, by being scared, it reallys comes off? I find that to be kinda scary.

Thanks Wolfchan for the list! its very helpful.

I'm finding the leopard geckos to be a favorite. I'm goingg to have my mom take me to this reptile store soon, because they have some lep. geckos I wanna check out.

Originally posted by Amber
    Thankyou Jynnelle for the lep. gecko information.

Jynnelle, when you said they can loose their tail, by being scared, it reallys comes off? I find that to be kinda scary.

Thanks Wolfchan for the list! its very helpful.

I'm finding the leopard geckos to be a favorite. I'm goingg to have my mom take me to this reptile store soon, because they have some lep. geckos I wanna check out.
    yes if they are scared or threatened in any way they will drop their tail. mine has, it is groose because the tail wiggles around and stuff.. ugh... but it doesnt always happen.. it took my leopard gecko about 2 months to re grow his tail...

yikes!

So if someone (for example) opened the cage lid quickly and it scares it, it will drop its tail?

no.

but if you say tryed to pick the gecko up by its tail, or if you dropped something on the tail it would drop most likely.

they have been known to drop their tail if they think they are being chased or attacked...

So Amber...did you get anything? I just got a crested gecko and he's in a 20 gal. Tall tank.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Originally posted by WolfChan
    IF it is a 20 gallon standard or long:

Schneider's skink
    Hehe! I keep my Schneider's skink in a 20gal and she has been happy for 10 yrs now! If you want a long-lived animal I have read that Schneider's live up to 20 years.

Niņo & Eliza