Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm a little worried about Cracker Jack

I'm a little worried about Cracker Jack

I don't think it's anything serious, but I thought I'd get your opinions before I start getting worried.

He hasn't eaten much since we brought him home last night - not much at all. He has drank some, but not much of that either. This morning and then when I came home tonight he had pooped, but it was real runny and diarrhea like. I know he was on Clavamox for URI up until 12/28, but I would think the effects of that would be all worn off by now. The shelter also mentioned that he had been wormed, but didn't actually say when. I'm thinking if they just gave him the pills yesterday before we brought him home, that might explain the diarrhea, but if not, maybe it's just all the excitement and newness? I will be calling them tomorrow to find out about the deworming. They said he's 10 lbs, which to me, now that I actually see him in person instead of in pictures, seems to light for him. He has a huge head, but he is incredibly skinny - at least compared to what I'm used to anyway....and as you all know, Tubby "grew into" his name, so maybe he's not a good comparison.

So anyway, what do you all think, should I be worried? Part of the adoption fee was a free check up, but they're booked so he can't get in until NEXT Saturday (the 15th), so should I push it and call my most favorite vet and get him in this weekend, even if it isn't free?

Thanks for any and all advice. I just have zero experience with getting a cat from a shelter that I don't know what would be considered normal.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Could it be the food you are feeding him is different from what the shelter gave him? Sometimes that can be upsetting to their little tummies.

I would definately call the shelter or your vet for a their opinion, but I would not worry about it too much. Maybe he is just adjusting to the new home.

Keep us all informed!

Aki~
    "The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched - they must be felt with the heart." ~~ Helen Keller
    ------------------------------------------------
    Chuck (rb) meowmie misses you!

------------------------------------------------

thanks kittycats_delights for the sig!

I would find out about the deworming ..... it sounds like he could have some Coccidia or bacteria though ..... he might need some Albon or something. I wouldn't let him share litterboxes with Peanut just yet! Good luck!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

I agree with aki, that is could be a change of diet or being stressed out. Try not to worry too much (Yeah right, like that's not going to happen) and I would definitely call the shelter tomorrow in regards to when he was dewormed and what kind of food they gave him.

Apart from what is happening to him right now, how is he otherwise? Is he still loveable and giving you headbumpies and purrs?

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Originally posted by rg_girlca
    Apart from what is happening to him right now, how is he otherwise? Is he still loveable and giving you headbumpies and purrs?
    Thanks for the quick replies. I'll try not to worry too much.

Yes, he is still being lovable and giving head bumpies and is purring up a storm. He has latched onto Catmandu's Canadian catnip toy and is having a field day with it! The toy was sent to help cheer Tubby up, so I'm so glad that Cracker Jack has taken to it. Seems he really loves his nip. It also looks like he's been taking lessons from Eddie (Edwina's nemesis), but I'm going to make a new thread on that subject.

I'm in the bedroom with him now while I do my school work. He is sleeping somewhere that I can't see right now. Wish he'd come up on the bed with me, but everytime I bring him up he jumps down, and is still much more animated when Terry is around. Unfortunately I've had some catching up to do at school, so I've been on the computer most of the night - here in the bedroom - so I have no idea what Peanut is doing....although she was being quite a character earlier. But I'll have another thread on that subject too.

Anyway, back to the subject. I thought it might be the change in food, except for the fact that he has eaten so little of it. He has now visited the water bowl 4 times since I've been in here, so it looks like he's at least drinking more than I thought he was.

I'll be calling the shelter tomorrow, and depending on what they say, I'll be calling the vet. No worries about them sharing a litterbox anytime soon....
    Tubby
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012

The fact that he is drinking is good, of course .... but it could also be a sign that he is getting dehydrated from the diarrhea. I wouldn't panic, and I'm certainly not trying to give you something to worry about, but I might check with your regular vet .... especially if the diarrea is still really loose tomorrow along with excessive drinking!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Thanks Kim. I knew I could count on you for good medical advice.
    Tubby
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012

From what I hear, a lot of cats won't eat much when they come to a new home. Have you tried tempting him with some wet food or perhaps some bland chicken?

I guess "ditto" to all the above.

I doubt it's a Red Flag /ER Visit tonight situation;
    but YOU won't feel good till you get him checked out!

Start with the Shelter:
    Worming date, medication, and did they see anything "come out"?
    What did They feed him?
    What were his poopies like during his stay?

Note: "Bag & SAVE" some of his "stuff" tonight or in the morning
    so the White Coat has a sample to test.
    DOUBLE Bag and store in the fridge (might 'forget' to tell Terry
    WHERE you're storing "it").

As for the "free check" on the 15th or Your TRUSTED Vet sooner?
    I'll pay for YOUR Vet if that helps.

I do think it may be a case of Nerbz with his Change of
    Residence amd/or food change...
    but "let's" get him checked ASAP
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Oh my god, I am so behind the times. I had no idea that Cracker Jack was your new fur child

Before I go find your *other* thread , I agree about keeping an eye on him and calling the vet if you feel the need. It's a good sign that he's drinking.

Maybe some warm, smelly food like heated canned food will help his appetite. Our last vet always recommended 'mouse temperature' stinky food to perk a sick or stressed cat.

HTH
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

I've only had to deal with colds from shelter. Both Eleanor and Thumper had slights ones from PetSmart. Their appetites were pretty normal after a day. First day both didnt' touch much food.

Dewormer, I had to give Skinny that pill (as a precaution) it didn't slow him down at all. Eleanor and Thumper already had the pill before we got them. Cant help you on that part.

I would certainly ask shelter if he had potty problems while he was there.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Both Jazz and Scout, who were shelter cats, had diarrhea for the first several days or so they were here then it firmed up. I attributed it to the change in diet and stress (and clavamox for Jazz). Later I discovered they both had tapeworms and I didn't figure it out for a little while. I had the pleasure of finding something that looked like rice - ewww! By that point they had firm BMs and no diarrhea so I don't think it is an automatic sign of worms. I got them about a year apart but the scenerio played out the same in both cases.

From Decker with Love

I agree with the others. Try not to panic. Hopefully you'll get some answers from the shelter. It could just be nerves. Goodluck and please keep us updated.

Personally, I would take him and a stool sample to the vets. When a cat is dewormed, there are many choices of medication and some just don't kill ALL the possibilities. He may need a different med.

If he isn't eating much try something more tempting like canned food. There is always the possibility he is a fussy eater. Also, at 7 years of age, I would have his teeth checked.

It could be nerves, new food, parasites etc, but why wait 10 days if there is something that can be done now?

First off I have to say that I have watched Cracker Jacks video a bunch of times and I'm in love with him!

I could not offer any better advice than has already been given. I'm sure the poor guy is nervous and trying to adjust to his wonderful new home.

I also saw many picker eater kitties get really thin at the shelter. They used only Science Diet and a lot of the cats hated it. They only ate enough to stay alive. I think that an older cat that has been fed something specific most of its life has trouble dealing with new foods. You may just have to find one that he is willing to eat.

Do you know how long he was in the shelter? I wonder if he didn't like their food either and that is what has caused a weight loss. He may have been fed canned food before. You just never know and it takes awhile to get all the kinks worked out. I'd say in about another two weeks you both will have it all down pat!
    Getting him a check up won't hurt a thing!

GIANT kissies to CJ and big {{{{HUGS}}}} to you.