Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Self-Service Dog Wash

Self-Service Dog Wash

I'd really like to start my own business. Whether I can do that or not, I don't know. It's just something I think about all the time...

The main thing I would like to do is a self-service dog wash. There isn't any very close to where I live, there are regular grooming salons but none like that.

I'd also like to do a specialty shop with that (selling pet related items, premium food/treats), pet photography studio and possibly dog daycare or boarding.

My biggest question is whether or not I would actually make any money doing this. I'm not sure what the demand is for it around here...and I know none of you live near me, but just for curiosity's sake...

Is there a self-service dog wash where you live? If so, have you ever used it? What do they charge? If there isn't one where you live, do you wish there was?

Oh and I know there are several of you on here that DO have your own businesses similar to that! Any tips/advice for starting a business? I'm clueless!

A women after my own heart!!

I am in the middle of schooling right now for opening a business very similar to that here in Myrtle Beach! The demand for boarding and grooming is extemely high here, and the profits seem to be endless as long as you can get the customers. I am also going to be doing photography (that would be my # 1 hobby), and hopefully have a private dog park as well. There is really nothing in my area for animals (the closest PetSmart/Petco is an hour away ) and the demand is ever-increasing. Look around at local kennels and groomers. Ask if they have openings or are they booked/full. The start-up costs are my problem right now...and the inital overhead is pretty steep, but there is potential for profit for sure! If you want more in-depth information, just PM me and I'll try to help out!

Good luck, from one entreprenuer to another
    ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <><

<>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><>

Faith is being able to jump first and grow wings later

When a waterbug leaves his friends and climbs the stalks, he is unable to return. But he gains a beautiful new body and a glorious perspective on a new world. He knows his friends will join him with their new bodies one day...one glorious day

There are many dog washes here in Calgary, most are associated with the local car wash. I've not taken Sasha as she is very timid and would probably freak out. But when I have been at the car wash I have seen several dogs coming out of the dog wash door so it does seen popular.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

I bet you'd make money doing that. I don't know about your city, but North America is general has such a high demand for anything to do with our pets!

Over here, most of the grooming salons let you bathe your own dog. I'd say the average price is ten dollars. Some of the car washes here also have a self service dog wash area. I've never done it myself, but I know people that would. I know that Jynnelle has brought Tikeya to Petcetera and bathed her herself.

As for starting a business, you should write up a business plan. I've done it myself, and it's hard work, but it gives you such a clear understanding of everything. You need to research your target market and market profile, and if you are interested in this as a full time business, you should probably start out part time at first, and then see how much money you make part time so that you can guess how much you would make full time. You also have to add up the costs of shampoo, conditioner, advertising, etc. Thinking up a good slogan and logo would be very helpful as well. I wish I had my business plan on hand so I could help you out further.

Good luck!
    I've been BOO'd!

a person started one here, but it did not last long, and now the place is a pet hotel. I dont know what happend with it though, I never went, seeing as how I have everything I need for grooming already, and I am not sure I want to drive to the other side of the city just for a bath. but that is just what it is like around here, a lot of people have dogs, but we dont really have a hi demand for anything dog. we have 4 main dogsport clubs in the city and the demand for any of it is extremly low.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

The only one here is in the local feed store, so it's kinda like what you want to do. It does well here. There are couple groomers, but most of the dogs up here are huskies. They occasionally need a bath, but rarely full grooming! The store sells cat, dog and livestock supplies--higher end stuff, better food and fancy toys, along with basic horse/cattle stuff.

I used to use the carwash ones when I lived in Calgary. One was one our way home from the dog park so I often stopped to hose Earle off before we got home!

Right now, if I have to bath one, I take them to the humane society. They have a self-serve grooming room that costs 8 bucks for 30 minutes to rent. But you have to supply your shampoo, towels ect and clean up. The one at the store does all that for you.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

To be honest I wouldn't use it, but my dogs are small and I can just bathe them in the bathtub. I just can't see spending money to bathe my dog myself. If I had a large dog and lived in the north, I might use it in the winter.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

No, we don't have anything like that around here, but I would definitely use it!!!! I don't have a convenient way to give dog baths, and I don't really like to take them to a groomers. Mostly because I'm afraid that they would act up or something.

Sounds like fun plans, Amy, and best of luck to you!!!

We don't have anything like that around here that I know of - but Miss Hoppy wouldn't qualify anyway! But it sound like a great idea. Any car washes nearby that would let you lease part of their space?

Tips on starting a small business: http://www.success.org/MSB/

I wish you every success ............. we have one here near me, and we have used it a few times. I know on weekends it is sooooo busy!!!

Maybe you could offer self service / or You-will-do it service. Some people are just plain lazy, and would probably pay to to wash their dog in YOUR self service wash anyway .....

Doggie Daycare sounds like a good idea. Maybe target the main business area near you (corporate clients usually have pampered pets too!!!)

Good Luck
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."

I think it's a great idea! I take Echo to one whenever she needs a bath and I don't feel like taking her to a professional groomer. I usually pay about $15.00 (canadian)

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

We have one about 7 miles from us and I checked it out because I didn't want to try and get Angus into the tub and didn't want to leave him at the groomers all day.
    They charged $15 for the first 30 minutes and then $5 for every 15 minutes after that. You provide the soap, conditioner, towels, etc... But if you wanted to use their stuff there was an extra charge but I can't remember how much.
    Good Luck!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I would love to have a self service dog wash near me. That sounds like a great business to start. I have always thought of a pet supply store, and to have a dog park attached to it as well. I don't think I could ever do it though.. Good luck with it, and I hope that you do, do it.

I take Merlin to our local dog wash every other week. I pay $12.00 per visit no matter how long it takes.They did try the by the 1/2 hour and most of his cleints are larger dogs so he started the per visit. He also has wed afternoons that he will wash them for you same price. It gets a lot of the older ladies and smaller dogs in. He provides the stuff and has moore for charge of other than basics. I have a special shampoo for Mrelin so I don't use his. Seems like hes doing well, carries lots of other pet products.
    A dog wash and portrait shop sounds great. I'll see if I caan find his card .He'd be worth talking to. I'll PM you tommorrow with it. Going to bed had a long day.