Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: breeds you would never own

breeds you would never own

what are the breed(s) you will never own?

mine are...
    pugs
    shar peis
    chows
    labs
    golden retrievers
    bedlington terriers
    pomerainian(i know i have one,but he's actually my parent's dog.)
    shelties
    collies

nothing against the ones here,but i never see myself owning any of these breeds.
    Last edited by lute; 01-04-2005 at 08:45 PM.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I said I would never own a "foo foo" dog that has to be groomed and now I do so....never say never.

I love pit bulls but have avoided them so far because the first time somebody crossed the street on the other side I would get really mad.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Right now I can't see myself owning any of the following breeds BUT I can't say never because I never thought I would end up getting a dachshund.

here's the list:

Jack Russels or Parson Russels
    Labrador Retriever
    Golden Retriever
    Cane Corso
    Irish Wolfhound
    I don't see myself with any small breeds. The only ones I really like are Papillons and Dachshunds, I'm just more of a medium-large dog person

I do love all those breeds though, I just don't think I'll ever have one...
    Last edited by Tollers-n-Dobes; 12-30-2005 at 01:12 AM.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

I don't think I will ever own a pomeranian but you never know I love them they are so cute and fluffy but I know i will never own an Akita because that is the type of dog who attacked my buddy boy and I don't hate the breed just that certain dog who messed with my buddy boy I think he got pts because of his actions but it was a little boy's fault feeding my dog lunchmeat when he ran away in Nevada and his dog attacked buddy over it and he had to get 30 + stitches...it wasn't the dog's fault but I don't see me owning that type of dog in the future even though they are pretty.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

5. I love all dog breeds! But I just can't see my self owning:

-Poodles
    -Bedlington Terriers
    -Airdale Terriers
    -Irish Wolfhound
    -Chow chow
    -Shar Pei
    -Bulldog
    -Bull Mastiff

The list could go on...I love them all but I am picky about the ones I would own...I love Shepherds and Dobies and Greyhounds...I want to rescue a Doberman and a Greyhound!

There are lots of breeds I would never consider having. It would be much easier for me to name the breeds of dogs I would consider bringing into my life -- and easier to name the general characteristics that I wouldn't want the said breed to have. I'll list some of those:

I wouldn't want a breed that is overly ball/stick driven (The thud of a ball in my lap every five seconds would drive me insane). I wouldn't want a dog that loves absolutely everyone (I would rather have a good guard dog that gets along with people he knows or meets outside his territory). I wouldn't want a small breed or a giant breed (Small dogs are too fragile for me - I like a big dog that I can squeeze and roughhouse with, and I LOVE giant breeds but they don't live very long and don't suit dog sports very well). I would rather have a breed that is known for it's tolerance towards children (I have many younger cousins and a younger brother). And I would also like a breed known to be alright with small animals and cats. Even though I LOVE brushing a nice thick coat, I plan on being a groomer, and at the end of the day I won't want to come home after a hard day's work and groom another dog, so I'd rather the dog not have hair that needs to be brushed everyday. I would like a breed that is known for it's versatility, because I plan to do alot with my dog. And I wouldn't want to dog to be too lazy -- kind of the perfect mix -- lazy or energetic when needed. I definatly want a dog that needs lots of exersise, but can sleep beside me at the end of the day without a murmer. Edit: I forgot to add athleticism. I plan to do lots of dog sports, and I want a dog that loves is fast and loves to run and jump.

I feel that everyone should make a list of the qualities they do or do not want when they are choosing a breed. The catahoula fits my list perfectly!
    I've been BOO'd!

Chihuahua
    Jack Russels
    Shitzu
    Pugs
    Pomeranian

I don't know what I will ever own or who will melt there way into my heart, but as of now I don't see myself owning any of these breeds even though they are beautiful, just not my type.

Me-24
    Hubby-25
    Daughter Zoey is 2 !!!!
    Jasmine 1 month

I'm not very picky about breeds, as long as I have a Rottweiler

But I don't think I would own any small dogs(except maybe a pug ), of course I love the 2 that I have, but would prefer larger dogs.

Originally posted by Orangutango
    Cane Corso
    Aren't they gorgeous?

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

Originally posted by DogLover9501
    Aren't they gorgeous?
    They're extremely beautiful dogs! My reason for not wanting one though is mostly because of their personality, they just don't fit my lifestyle at all

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

Originally posted by Orangutango
    They're extremely beautiful dogs! My reason for not wanting one though is mostly because of their personality, they just don't fit my lifestyle at all
    I understand that, I was watching a show this morning about dogs with bad reputations and they were on the list somewhere and they sounded like great dogs, but only for really experienced people

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

Bedlington Terrier
    Clumber Spaniel
    Chinese Crested Dog
    Borzoi
    Bulldog

I have nothing against the dogs, I just don't see myself owning any. But I may get a mutt with one of those breeds in it. Who knows?

-thank you Poppy for the avatar.

R.I.P. Hanson. You will never be forgotten, and we await the day to see you once again. The imprint you left on my heart will never fade - your big beautiful brown eyes, your big soggy kisses...

The only dog I can't see my self owning again is an Australian Shepard. It would bring back to many memories, and I don't want to replace Grace.

Thank you joanofark for the great siggy

I would never own a Lab, a golden, a collie, a poodle, an aussie, or a borzoi.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Everyone is drawn to particular breeds and I think a better thread would have been "what breeds are you most drawn to" because "breeds you would never own" can feel like an insult to the various breeds listed. I'm often oversensitive to these types of things but I can't help but feel sad when I see breeds I have now, have had in the past, and loved and cherished with all my heart, listed repeatedly as dogs people "would never own."

That said, I guess that is how I feel. I am drawn to certain breeds but don't have any I would put on a "I would never own" list.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

I personally don't like the idea of completely crossing out not owning a dog because of their breed. I think every dog has the capability of being a wonderful companion no matter their breed.

I love dogs, and by saying dogs I mean all dogs. And i'd never pass up the chance of bringing a dog into my life just because of it's breed.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits