Thread: How do groomers do it?

How do groomers do it?

Well tonight Gracie was running wildly in the mud. I brought her inside so I can give her a bath. Well as it turns out she hates water and will make you pick her up several times to put her back in the tub.

As soon as I got her in the tub I turned around to shut the door. She jumped out of the tub and ran to the corner of the bathroom. So I picked her up and put her back in the tub. I turned on the water slowly she jumped out again and ran back to the corner. I picked her up once again and put her back in the tub with running water. She then tried to squeeze through my legs and finally pushed her way through. By this time I was very frustraited and picked her up once again put her in the tub again this time I shut the curton so only I could see. I turned on the shower to get her back nice and wet. She sat down like a good girl then all the sudden she jumped out. So once again I had to pick her up and put her back. By this time I figured it might be easier if I just get in there with her. So I jumped in and as I got in she got out. So I was soaked and so was she so I had to put her back for the last time. I got her to sit and stay then after I just got her risned enough to call it good she jumped out and I decided that I am not longer going to give her a bath. I will let my husband do it from now on.

I am pretty sure I have messed up my back. This girl is right around 60 - 70 lbs. Now I am a little more than double her wieght but man, it's hard to pick up a dog let alone one that is fighting you to put her in the tub.

I wouldn't have given her a bath but she was COVERED in mud. She looked so nasty. Now my back is sore and I took a pill.

All the things we go through for our babies.
    Last edited by cubby31682; 01-04-2005 at 04:03 PM.

Try 4 dogs!!!

I have 4 dogs of various sizes to bathe!!! Talk about BACK PAIN!!! Luckily, I just bought a house that has 2 bathtubs and I have one dedicated to the animals!
    My dad gave me a Boarder Collie who introduced fleas to the rest of the dogs. We gave her a bath before I brought her home in a garbage can! However, she was terrified of the hose and the flea spray. We got her bathed but not that well.
    Shaggy has to be first because he will hide and bite when he sees the other dogs wet. Scooby had a stroke and is allergic to fleas so he takes longer to bathe. Dirtnap the Eskimo Spitz is going blind/deaf, arthritis, and the fleas hide well. Benji the Boarder Collie HATES baths and will NOT take any kind of spray on her.
    I can relate on your issue of handling a big dog in the bathtub!!! Your problem sounds identical to my dog Benji's problems. I panicked with the thought of even attempting to give her a bath after I brought her home.

Here is some good news that may help you. Your dog may be scared of the noise of the running water. You may want to fill up the tub with the water FIRST before inserting the dog. Or have the dog get used to the sound of the running water. Maybe have him/her in the nearby or same room as when you take a bath.
    I use a large plastic cup to pour the water over my dogs. Those hose contraptions bought at Pet stores don't fit on my plumbing and they scare the dogs. I also learned that you MUST keep any flea shampoos on the animal for atleast 5 minutes and rubbed into the skin area well.
    Benji is doing MUCH better with her baths. I have the water already filled half way and it is kept warm not hot. I pour the cup of water over her and hold her by the collar. I also pet her and tell her good girl. She and the other dogs STILL try to bolt out of the tub but as long as they know I am "Alpha Dog" and in control they will sit there until done.
    If this doesn't help get those doggy wipes! They really work!!!
    Scooby, Shaggy the "Dogs", Ms. Thang the "Cat" and introducing Measley Weasle "The Ferret".

Thats why I take my monsters to the local dog wash. For$12.00 each dog, its worth it. Some one there to help ladders and sinks high enough you don't get wet.

we give Kodie a bath OUTSIDE in the grass,(when its warm out) we tie him to the tree so he cant run away from me then i just wash him with the hose,and make him clean!

When I do take a bath she is always in there licking my legs and pokes her head in the water. The other day I worked with her a little bit to get her to get in the tub on her own. I had a boat load of treats on me to assist her. I did pick her up and put her in there a few times then made her 'sit' and 'stay' which she did and I would give her another treat. Then I slowly turned on the water and she wouldn't come back in to the bathroom for the rest of the night. I just figured if I can get her trained to get in there on her own or with the help of treats. Then when I do have to bathe her she would be able and willing to get in on her own.

I started putting Oz in the tub when he was a puppy, but as he started growing I realized no way my back was gonna be able to handle putting a 65lb dog in the tub. So I got a hose attachment to my shower and now I just walk him into the shower. Saves my back and he seems to handle the shower better then being surrounded by water in the tub.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

I do that to a dozen dogs a day

LOL, I own my own grooming business, that sounds like a typical day for me. Unless I groom my own dogs, who have been in the tub every 6-8 weeks like clockwork since they were 7 weeks old!

Hope you back is feeling better!

lol my dogs are all trained to stay lol and the little guys I hold their scruff as I bathe
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

That's why I NEVER bathe Echo in the house She's too big and it really hurts my back, also it's just a whole lot easier in every way to go to a dogwash. They have towels, a tub made for dogs, a thing to put over your dogs head (I don't remember what they're called) it's sort of like a show leash I guess. That's the only way I ever bathe Echo on my own, I usually take her to a professional groomer once a month though

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

My three are trained to stay during baths, although they do not enjoy it, Simba especially. Poor dogs get a grooming session every week.

After hearing some of the psycho dogs and owners Amy deals with while grooming, I think it's kinda changed my mind aobut wanting to be a groomer.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I also have 4 dogs, of varying sizes. The smallest one got used to baths early and at 13 doesn't mind them at all. The rest are a challenge. I usually stand in the tub, (nude) and hold them between my knees.

They make a special harness that suctions to the sides of the tub. I bought one for our shelter to use and it really helps. I also use a spray attachment and get it adjusted before I grab a dog. I don't start baths until after 'last call' at night. Then they have time to dry all night. One is a chow/lab so she has a LOT of hair.

Also I only pick up one end of the dog at a time. Front end in the tub, lift and rotate the rear into the tub.

It takes about an hour and a half to do all four. I wish there was a doggy wash here.

Mary

Found a local self-serve dogwash & it's well worth the $12 - I can tie her in place and they have a really great set up and blow dryer & all. They even supply towels - but I still got pretty wet! Needed husb to come along to pick her up to the chest-high tub, though. Sure beats trying to wash her in the yard and keep chasing around her with the hose! She HATES to be wet! My RB Rosie loved baths, she'd stand there all afternoon with water running on her! Haven't tried to bathe Sherman yet.....

Found a local self-serve dogwash & it's well worth the $12 - I can tie her in place and they have a really great set up and blow dryer & all. They even supply towels - but I still got pretty wet! Needed husby to come along to pick her up to the chest-high tub, though. Sure beats trying to wash her in the yard and keep chasing around her with the hose! She HATES to be wet! My RB Rosie loved baths, she'd stand there all afternoon with water running on her! Haven't tried to bathe Sherman yet.....