Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very sick kitty....I need some advice!

Very sick kitty....I need some advice!

Hi everyone! I'm new to this board, and hope some of you can help me. I have a beautiful little siamese boy, right around a year old, whose recently become very ill. Two weeks ago he stopped eating, and started having major diarrhea. I took him to the vet, and he was there for two weeks, and they have no idea why he's the way he is. He's overall healthy, other than severe diarrhea, rapid weight loss (due to the lack of nutrition I'm thinking) and loss of appetite. My vet has no diagnosis, and just sent him home to try and nurse him back to health. He eats very very little, baby food only, and looks just terrible, not the beautiful little boy who went into the vets office two weeks ago. Does anyone have any suggestions other than a second opinion? Anyone have any remedies for diarrhea, or anyone had a pet with this condition before? Any info you have would be greatly greatly appreciated, we love him and don't want to loose him!!
    Thank you!!
    Kristi

Re: Very sick kitty....I need some advice!

Originally posted by kristi00

... I took him to the vet,
    and he was there for two weeks,
    and they have no idea why he's the way he is.
    *WELCOME* to Pet Talk, Kristi!!

After two weeks in the Hospital - and NO improvement -
    It's Time for that Second Opinion!!

Ask or call around to locate a Vet with a good reputation for
    treating CATS.

You might get lucky and find one that treats ONLY cats.

Good Luck to you AND the FurKid!

/s/ Phred
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Welcome to Pet talk, I am really sorry to hear you little boy is so sick, I think cinder and smoke put it well, GET A SECOND OPINION and fast, let us know how your furbaby is doing,? fingers and paws crossed here for a speedy recovery, take care and get well soon sweet furbaby.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I certainly agree about the second opinion. Something is wrong.
    There are a lot of people on this board that have had this problem. Please hang on and keep checking back until they see it and respond.
    I know canned pumpkin and yogurt with live bacteria is what is commonly used to help bind things back up. I know there was a joke at one time about how it looked like you were serving them with pumpkin pie with whipped cream on top (yogurt). I personally have not had to try this yet (thankfully) but those that have swear by it. They also say that the kitties like it and most of them don't have to be forced to eat it. Especially the yogurt. If you try the yogurt make sure it has live bacteria and it should say so on the carton. These are good bacteria that help destroy the bad bacteria in the intestines.
    Your baby really sounds sick and I'm sorry to hear that. Please keep us posted and make sure you also watch for dehydration. If at all possible try to get a second opinion for the little guy.
    Please keep watching the board because the experienced experts will eventually see this.
    Good luck and hugs to your sweet baby. Prayers on the way that he gets well soon.

I agree with the others - a second opinion is deserately needed. Ask friends for vet recommendations in your area. What is your kitty eating, foodwise?

I would never bring an animal back to a vet that kept it for two weeks and then sent it home with no diagnosis!

Poor kitty ... lots of fattening treats are in order ...

Welcome to PT! I'm so sorry to hear that your cat is sick. I agree that a second opinion is needed. Did the vet test your cats stool for bacteria or parasites? I sure hope that you'll be able to find out what's wrong. Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way. Please keep us updated.

Thanks you guys for all the responses! I'm thrilled to see so many cat lovers out there!!!! I had already made Tinge an appointment with another vet that a friend uses and swears by, but they can't see us till the 3rd. So in the meantime, I'm gonna try the yougurt thing, if it will help stop or at least slow down the diarrhea till the next vet visit, that would greatly help!! Right now he's eating babyfood...turkey, chicken, and beef. The vet recommended this till his digestive system strengthens up. Thanks again, especially for the prayers, I lost my last kitty of 22 years recently, and can't stand the thought of loosing my new kitty! I'll keep yall updated!!!

Thanks a million!!!

Great news Kristi00! I'm glad you have another appointment for the little guy. Please do keep us updated on how he is doing. I hope the yogurt helps until then.
    Prayers are still going out for the little guy. I'm really sorry to hear that you lost your kitty recently. You were very blessed to have had her for so long but that also makes you miss them so much more.
    Keep loving the little guy and I really hope this new vet can do something more than the last one. What a shame he has had to suffer for so long.
    Whats his name?

Make sure kitty gets plenty of water! I'm glad you're seeing a different vet. I would fire that first one for sure!

Oh, and WELCOME!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I agree 100% with everyone.. Any vet that keeps an animal for 2 weeks and can't figure out whats going on, isn't much of a vet. One thing that can give cats that kind of problem is worms or parasites. Even the best fecal float can miss the eggs and such. Kitty might have coccidea also, which can start up from the stress of being placed in a new home. The treatment for either coccidea or worms, is inexpensive and easy... I'm sure that "Everyone" on Pet Of The Day is praying for you and your new baby... keep doing what your're doing..
    Meeeooooowww.

Any news Krist00? Did the new vet find out what was wrong?

Originally posted by thawks120
    The treatment for either coccidea or worms, is inexpensive and easy...
    I have to correct the above statement to some extent.... Coccidea is not cheap to treat if left untreated for long period of time it's not easy. Allot of time and patience. Been there done that with Skinny when we took him in as a stray. 3 months of medications and allot of office visits and tests. Also if left untreated is fatal.

I'm glad you have an appt with a new vet.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Re: Very sick kitty....I need some advice!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kristi00
    [B]Hi everyone!

Hi,

I'm very glad you're going for the 2nd opinion!! My cats haven't had an incidence of diarrhea in a very long time so I have no feedback on the possibilities of what's causing it or medicine treatments. However, there are many here at PT whom I would call very experienced. There is one stopgap measure ( not a cure) I know of that you can try (in addition to yogurt and pumpkin) until the vet finds out the problem. I found this on a feline web site for a friend. Sorry, the site eludes me right now. Cook "real" rice (not Minute Rice) and squash it really, really good into Tinge's soft food or baby food, if that's what he's still eating. Also, cook about a handful of rice in about 2 cups of water, cool it and offer it as the only water supply. If he won't drink it, keep diluting it until he does. If he won't drink it, forget it. Be very sure that he gets plenty to drink. I hope Tinge will be well soon!!! My prayers are with you both.

Linda
    My Sweet Boy, Buddy

Embrace these little and not so little ones.
    Guard them, protect them, and grant them
    a peace that only we as humans can deny them. Vonnie Matheny

One thing that'll help rehydrate your kitty is unflavored Pediatric Electrolytes. Put some in a syringe and force your kitty to drink. Even if it's only a couple of syringe fulls. You can get the stuff at any drug store.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thanks everyone for their prayers and for the advice!! Tinge saw the new vet, and she's waiting on the blood work to come back. I should know something tomorrow. He went all day without any diarrhea, and did have a regular formed "movement" this afternoon which is really good news! (Thanks for the yogurt advice, I think that helped!!!) The new vet told me that he was very sick, and had I not brought him in as soon as I did, he would have been a goner! But he has gained some weight since being home, and is eating and drinking like normal. I don't wanna jinx myself though, so I'll leave it at that and thank all you wonderful people for the advice and prayers!! God bless each and every one of you and your "babies"!!! I'll keep you updated!!!