Thread: yikes! the house shifted big time!

yikes! the house shifted big time!

the weather has been so bad that the house has shifted really bad, the back door wont close, we have holes through the kitchen floor, the trimming has come off the walls, we have cracks everywhere, a lot of the flooring has completly split... never seen anything like it
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Good grief!!!!

What kind of weather have you been having?? Snow... rain???
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

When we get alot of rain our house shifts too. Its not good. My door to my room won't even close right because of it. I know what ya going through.

ww!! I know pitc9 already asked this, but what kind of weather are you having???

snow, we had a blizzard all yesterday, and I am told that it was extremly cold here while we were in prince george. it seems the house has essentailly split in half and half of it sunk down a bit, the dammage is all directly down the middle of the house
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Goodness! And I thought it was bad our French door was feeling warped! And the stick-on vinyl tile floor in our mudroom has been pulling up since the weather dipped to zero degree weather last week. And today we are in the 50's! The weather has been crazy! Freezing cold one day, warm spring-like weather the next!

Will your homeowner's insurance cover the damage?

Ours has too apparently...when you shut the back door you have to push it in or it comes back open...just started doing that in the last couple weeks...

How awful! How dreadful! How old is your house? Whereabouts in Canada are you? Is there anything that can be done to prevent further damage? Yikes!

Yikes!

-Amanda-
    Owned by...
    (Betta) Neptune
    (Bunny) Chester
    (Cats) Misty and Squeekers

*Pet Portraits*

That's just awful!

I read an article just the other day on how and why that was happening in some places. Here is an extract from it.

Earth's permafrost starts to squelch
    By Molly Bentley
    in San Francisco

In parts of Fairbanks, Alaska, houses and buildings lean at odd angles. Some slump as if sliding downhill. Windows and doors inch closer and closer to the ground. It is an architectural landscape that is becoming more familiar as the world's ice-rich permafrost gives way to thaw. Water replaces ice and the ground subsides, taking the structures on top along with it.

Alaska is not the only region in a slump. The permafrost melt is accelerating throughout the world's cold regions, scientists reported at the recent Fall Meeting of the American Geophysical Union (AGU) in San Francisco.

In addition to northern Alaska, the permafrost zone includes most other Arctic land, such as northern Canada and much of Siberia, as well as the higher reaches of mountainous regions such as the Alps and Tibet. All report permafrost thaw. "It's a very, very widespread problem," said Frederick Nelson, a geographer at the University of Delaware, US. Scientists attribute the thaw to climate warming. As the air temperature warms, so does the frozen ground beneath it.

Story from BBC News. To read the rest go here:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4120755.stm