Thread: Cleaning a dogs ears?

Cleaning a dogs ears?

I hope someone can help me with this. Jadas ears are really dirty and i was wondering how i should clean them? I tried using a q-tip but she didn't like that at all. What is the best way to clean them? Thanks so much in advance!

we have some ear wipes that work wonderful!!

heres what i use..
    http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...=1104253391005

they make theyre ears smell nice and clean also.

Before he died, my Rottie used to clean my Pits ears. He would hold her down and go to town and she loved it. Whenever she was in the mood for a good ear cleaning she would lay next to him and bow her head and the licking would begin. She tries to get my male Pit to do it now, but he doesn't understand what she wants. Guess I'll be investing in some of those ear whipes now cause her ears are starting to get a bit dirty.

Pit Chick

Oh I'm so sorry your rottie died! That must have been really hard on you! How many pits do you have? You live in Texas right? Are they banning the pit there at all? I live in Colorado and the Denver area has banned the pit bull. That whole banning thing just makes me so angry!

Thanks. I was torn up pretty bad. He was actually my Pit's dog, but I kinda got attached too. (never let a foster sleep in your bed)

I have 3 Pits of my own and 3 foster Pits.

They haven't banned them in my area, but I'm sure there are those who are trying. I think there are some podunk towns in Texas with bans, but since Houston is so big, there's a lot of Pit Bull advocates that wouldn't let a ban get too far without a fight. You and your pups are welcome in Texas, come on down to the Dirty South

Bans come and go. Once they see how difficult it is to enforce, prove a dog's breed, and see that people are still getting bitten, Denver will lift their ban too. It could be done quicker if they get enough complaints from responsible Pit Bull owners who can vote for another city official next election that would be in their favor Strongly worded letters help too.

Thanks for the invite! I have a cousin that lives in Lubbock and a friend that lives in Tolar Texas. Tolar is a little town have you even heard if it?

When we got Jada the guy we got her from said she was a full pit but I'm pretty sure she has some lab in her. She is an awesome dog. I do want to get a full pit someday and in your opinion could I get another female or should I get a male pit? Would 3 female dogs get along do you think? I think thats way cool that you foster the pits. Those dogs need more people like you!

I've heard of Lubbock, but not Tolar. If Jada is dominant then a submissive male would be best. If Jada is just a big pushover and doesn't really care about "rank", then you could go with a female that is also a big pushover or a male of any "rank". But ultimately your safest bet would be a male because there can be a lot of tention between same sex Pits even if they get along and any little thing could trigger a fight. It takes quite a bit of knowledge and experience to run a multi-Pit household when they all don't get along. You really have to know your dogs to know which personalities will get along the best. Fights are not pretty and when you're alone, they're even worse and hard to break up. (I don't understand how people find it entertaining. ) If you get another one, try a rescue first, if the dogs stay in foster homes, they'll know if they get along with other dogs or not.

I get some ear cleaner from the vet and drop a little in the ears and swoosh it around and then clean it out with a cotton ball. I wouldn't use Q-tips, just for in the creases. There is a certian ingredient in some ear cleaners that irriates their ears, but I forgot what it was called. It was in Heidi's first ear cleaner and she HATED her ears to be cleaned, and now I know why. Poor baby. I switched to a different one, and she still doesn't like it but it doesn't bother her like the other one did. For a dog that hasn't had her ears cleaned before maybe you should go with the wipes. It probably won't be quite as a shock to her as the liquid stuff going into her ears. You want to keep them nice and clean though or else they can get infections. Good luck!

Thanks so much for the info! I have seen Jada be pretty domiant.
    We were keeping a friends dog for him she was a female chow pit mix anyway, Jada just hated her and she went at her all the time. I had to either keep them apart or watch them every second. It was pretty stressful. Diamond and Jada get along very well but Jada has had her moments with Diamond. Jada can be a real bully to her at times. No pun intended. Lol.

I would HATE to see pits fighting and I'm sure it is real hard to break up. I'm with you totally I do NOT understand how people get off on watching that crap. I used to like DMX until I read that he was into pit bull fighting. I guess Eve is also. Do you all have problems with pit fighting in Huston?

Big time and there is no intent law, so a fight has to be caught in progress before anything can be done and even then these slime balls will argue that the dogs accidentally got into a fight. If it wasn't for the drugs, money and stolen property that's always found at fights the people involved would pretty much get away with what they do. I don't understand how we can have an intent to sell drugs law, but not intent to fight dogs when there is clear evidence of it? I say let the drug dealers and doers have all the drugs they want, but leave the dogs alone.

And Pits are one of the most popular breeds here, unfortunately not with the right people. Pit Bulls are being sold on pretty much every corner and it just makes me sick.

Our laws do not make a lot of sence half the time! Thats just so sad that they are sold on every corner. Sad and sick. I live in a real small town and there really aren't to many pits around. Some of the young kids (guys) have them BUT they dont have them because they love the breed they have them because they think walking around with a pit makes them look all cool and bad. That just pisses me off to no end! I could talk about pit's all day long as you can probably tell.

I know, me too.

i work in a pet grooming shop and what we use there is just ordinary baby wipes! just make sure they aren't perfumed because it could cause irritation to the dog

I use rubbing alcohol and cotton balls.