Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Onyx is very ill!

Onyx is very ill!

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this ... Our 11 year old cat, Onyx, became lethargic late Sunday night. It continued all through Monday and at first I thought she was just tired from playing on Sunday with our other 2 furkittens, but it got so that I was worried enough to call the vet Mon. afternoon. She was seen and our vet thinks Onyx picked up some nasty virus from our youngest kitten whom just adopted us 2 weeks ago from a local shelter. Onyx had a 104.5 degree fever. The vet gave her a penicillin shot and antibiotics shot, and sent us home with oral antibiotics and thought Onyx would be better by this morning. Well, the whole day has come and gone and Onyx is, if anything, more lethargic - she's eaten NOTHING or drank NO water today. I'm gonna be on the phone first thing in the morning again. I feel like I should have called the vet today but they said to give it 24 hours .. It's been one long 24 hours though!

Firstly, when you adopt a kitty from a shelter, it's a good idea to confine the kitty for at least a week and make sure that he/she sees a vet for testing before being introduced to the current brood. Going 24 hours without food is sometimes OK, but not drinking any water will lead to dehydration. How is her output? I would definitely get her into the vets again. If you don't trust your vet, then I would suggest a second opinion.

You sound like a very caring Meowmie and I wish you good luck. Please keep us posted.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Her output has been fine, surprisingly. As for the kitten (Abby) that came to us 2 weeks ago, we had her to our vet right away and she was deemed fine (she is 6.5 months old) and already spayed, leukemia negative, etc .. I think we may need to do SQ fluids in the morning unless something changes overnight.

Prayers for Onyx.

My heart goes to Onyx!! Please keep us posted about what the vet says. If the answer doesn't make you feel comfortable, take another vet!GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Oh no, Andrea!

I would make sure to get her in to the vet today. Not drinking with her medical problems is not a good thing.

How is she doing today? Any better?
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Update

Looks like it was not a virus after all. I had to leave Onyx at the vet for the day, they ran her blood work, did some xrays. They were beginning to rule out a virus when the penicillin was not kicking in when it should have. They saw that her pancreas is very inflammed so the barium (used for the xrays) should help soothe that and she got more powerful antibiotics and penicillin to keep her fever down. So it appears like it is pancreatis, and I guess it can have a quick onset! She's home now and hopefully we'll see improvement quick.

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers!
    ANdrea

Oh no......that's terrible but at least it's been caught and hopefully the more powerful meds will help.

Continuing prayers coming your way.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

--Polar Express

I'm happy she's home now and on the mend.

Feel better, sweet Onyx.

cost of feeding tube and pros/cons?

Hi, update on Onyx - she continues to be very ill. We have been told that most likely her only option now, in order to give her a chance to survive this acute attack of pancreatitis is to resort to using a feeding tube - she's now gone almost 6 days without eating or drinking, although she had SQ fluids yesterday. Does anyone have any idea on cost of this feeding tube, and/or any comments about using these tubes? This is a new experience for us!

Purrsonally, I have had no experience but my good friend has. Her kitty, Luba, had cancer in the gall bladder and had an operation to remove the GB. For about 8 weeks following the op, Luba did have a feeding tube in directly to her stomach. Twice a day her Meowmie had to give her pureed food through the tube with a syringe. It has to be given slowly with some water in between. Meaning: first insert the syringe with food and give a bit, then insert the syringe with water and give a bit; alternate until all food and water is gone. I'm not sure of the measurements. If the food is inserted too fast or too much then poor kitty will vomit.

I was present during one feeding and it was a piece of cake. Also during this time, Luba would be tempted to eat on her own, but she refused. She was a tortie with "tude" and I guess she figured "why exhaust energy walking to the food dish when I can just lie here and get stuffed"..LOL she's a funny kitty. It did take about 8 weeks before she could get off the feeding tube and completely eat for herself.

This all happened in January, 2004 and as of today she's in total remission.

I'm sending lots of positive vibes and prayers out for Onyx tonight. Please keep me updated.
    --unknown

--Polar Express

I'm so sorry to hear that Onyx is so ill. Prayers and positive thoughts are on the way. Please take care.

I am very sorry to hear about Onyx. I hope so much they will find the right medication and that she'll improve soon

Oh no!

When I worked at the vet, there were a few cats with feeding tubes due to varius illnesses and they seemed to do pretty well.

I'm almost positive they require surgery to put in, so the charges would include anethesia, pain medicine, the surgery and most likely antibiotics.

Poor thing. When does your vet want to put the tube in?

I'm very sorry to hear Onyx isn't doing well. I'm sorry I have no advice but I will say a prayer for Onyx. I hope she recovers.