Thread: Parents Go On Strike, Move Out To Protest Messy Kids

Parents Go On Strike, Move Out To Protest Messy Kids

Teens Apparently Refuse To Help With Housework

POSTED: 7:47 am EST December 8, 2004

DELTONA, Fla. -- The dishes, garbage and dirty laundry were piling up and Cat and Harlan Barnard were getting no help from their two children.

After begging and pleading with their 17-year-old son and 12-year-old daughter to help out around the house, the Barnards decided they were fed up. So they went on strike - and moved out to the front yard.
    This was our last-ditch effort," Cat Barnard said.
    Since Monday morning, the Barnards have lived in a tent in their front yard, going inside the house only to use the restroom or shower. The couple sits on lawn chairs and roasts marshmallows over a hibachi.
    After his first night in the yard, Harlan Barnard, 56, said he woke up feeling stiff, but liberated.

"It was like I'd done something to take back my little corner of the world," he said.

Their children were confused on the first day when they came home from school. But their son, Ben Barnard, a senior at Deltona High School, said the parental strike is already having consequences.

"It's extremely inconvenient," Ben said. "Every time the phone rings, we have to run outside to give it to them."

A neighbor called a local radio call-in show on Tuesday, bringing attention to their strike. A teacher of their daughter, Kit, made a visit and the Volusia County Sheriff's office stopped by three times Tuesday night to check on the children.

Whether the couple's actions could be regarded as abandonment depends on how much guidance the parents are still providing and "if the children are suffering as a result," said Carrie Hoeppner, a spokeswoman with the Department of Children & Families in Orange County.

Ruth Peters, a Clearwater clinical psychologist and author who specializes in treating children and adolescents, said the tent tactic could easily backfire on the parents.

She doesn't expect the children to clean up the house or do any chores without their parents living under the same roof. And it could give the kids star status with their peers because they drove their parents out.

"All this does is inconvenience the parent. It doesn't inconvenience the kids at all," Peters said. "I can't imagine the kids begging their parents to come back."

Both children acknowledge they could do more to help out around the house. But they expect their parents to give up the stunt in a few more days.

But Cat Barnard says the strike may already be paying dividends. She noted that her daughter washed her own clothes for the first time on Tuesday.

With Florida's mild winter, a freezer full of frozen dinners and the children down to plasticware, the couples said they are ready to ride out the standoff.

"This is war," Cat Barnard said. "I love my babies, but I don't like what they're doing."

Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

----------------------------------------------------------------
    lol i guess they deserve it!

lol!

GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!
    That's what this world is coming to???
    If my husband EVER pulled a stunt like that, there would have been h@@@ to pay!!!!!
    My parents weren't as strict, but I was very quiet & would have never thought of pulling a stunt like that!
    TiNa

Give ME a break as well! Who raised these kids.....the parents. All these two have to do to find the source of the problem is to look in the mirror.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Originally posted by Rachel
    Give ME a break as well! Who raised these kids.....the parents. All these two have to do to find the source of the problem is to look in the mirror.
    AMEN! I'll be darned if my messy children would drive me out of my house. They would just be banished to their rooms so they couldn't mess up the rest of the house!

Too true! Idiot parents produce selfish children. They should have more sense than to let their kids drive out of their own home! Get right back in there and MAKE the kids do things for themselves!
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

LOL... First off, my teens don't always do the dishes or housework. I'm not about to move out of my house because of it! I just wade through the clutter of papers, sports equipment, and dirty dishes to do my own thing.

How absurd the parents felt their last resort was THAT I can think of a hundred better ways to get them t take notice that we are serious! They need a ride somewhere? I won't take them until they do their chore! They need $10 for a birthday gift? Nope.. not until their chores are done. They need help with a paper? Not until they do their chores - getting the pattern here? You do something for me, I do something for you. It falls apart when they don't need/want anything! LOL

But seriously, its all about mutual respect for the parents towards the kids, and vice versa. Somewhere along the line, it sounds like the kids became spoiled brats and the parents didn't realize it until it was too late. The son's comment "It's extremely inconvenient. Every time the phone rings, we have to run outside to give it to them." REALLY! My goodness... he has to give the parents the phone? Mine have to do that here too! What? Did mom and dad always answer the phone before, and then bring it to you? OMG.. what a brat!

The parents in the yard?

I'd put those kids in the yard and say: Go ahead, live like animals.

Then some organization would probably blame me. And I'd go to jail.

Originally posted by rosethecopycat
    The parents in the yard?

I'd put those kids in the yard and say: Go ahead, live like animals.

Then some organization would probably blame me. And I'd go to jail.
    LOL... I was thinking along the same lines.

We have let kids become so "sensitive" that parents can longer reprimand kids for their actions. Everything we do to reprimand them falls under "abuse" headings. Then when the kids are out punching teachers (like my hubby was the other day) they all mutter to each other "what went wrong?"

Re: Parents Go On Strike, Move Out To Protest Messy Kids

Originally posted by sammy101
    ...But Cat Barnard says the strike may already be paying dividends. She noted that her daughter washed her own clothes for the first time on Tuesday...
    You don't have to move out to get your daughter to wash her own clothes. You just stop washing them. Those parents aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

Thank you Wolfie!