Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please come and visit my new website (I've finally made it!!!)

Please come and visit my new website (I've finally made it!!!)

In July this year, I started working on "www.catmom.de - living with cats in a responsible way".

This time it's no photo page, the idea was to inform about those aspects that are still afflicted with lots of prejudices. It has been a German page in the first place, but I was working simultaneously on an English version. (The translation may be lousy, btw, since it's more difficult to translate a text than writing in English right from the start).

Anyway, I really put a lot of work and effort into this page, and it would be nice if youwould take a look and tell me what you think (of course, guest book entries would also be appreciated! ). And when you notice mistakes in the translation, please let me know!

I would like to thank those who have helped me with the page in the past, especially Barbara who did the proof-reading of the German version.

I also have to thank my girls for willingly being the models for the little pictures...

Kirsten

Awesome site, Kristen! So informative!

& I have to say that it is very well laid out & easy to use.

Great job!

I'm definitely bookmarking this one!
    -christa

~RIP Abby Jan 14, 1995 - July 21, 2005~

Your website is awesome!! Very informative and very clean looking. I love it! Great job!

Your website is great! A job well done!

Kirsten ,

You asked for honest comments, so here goes.

The site looks wonderful the style, fonts and images are very professional and attractive.

I like most of the articles with the following exceptions.

http://www.catmom.de/engl/frei.html
    Inside/outside cats true life expectancy is between 16 to 18 years, NOT The low figure of five years you quoted. The low figures stupidly include early deaths of strays, ferals and kittens let out too early, ie Well loved cats live much longer.
    It is totally misleading to lump these unloved and unsupervised cats deaths in with well cared for inside/outside cats.

http://www.catmom.de/engl/haus.html
    Other big dangers to inside only cats are house fires, they can't escape and die due to inhaling smoke, playing in washing machines and tumble driers which are switched on with horrible results, being posioned by eating house plants if not provided with proper house grass needed to purge hairballs (outside cats just eat grass), no road sense so if they do get outside they have a higher chance of being run over or getting lost.

Outside cats do NOT run away unless you are abusive to them or ignore their needs. Some cats may return to an old address but this habit can easily be trained out of them.

http://www.catmom.de/engl/babies.html
    Inside only males and females also need altering due to the health benefits of extended life and lower cancer risk, you only mention outside cats in this article.

I have been writing and writing and I am still not happy with any of my articles well I will keep trying.

I am amazed that you have had the time to put together this website in such a short time and in two languages no less.

Ive been checking back for updates since you started . Very informitive site, and great to look at too. You are really talented!

Kirsten.... GREAT JOB, and your website can and should reflect your own personal views, which you have done well! Congratulations!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

FANTASTIC!!! I think it is awsome! Very well written and informative. You express throughout that you are not a vet and this is information you have gathered through the internet as well as experience as a cat loving person. I thought it was great! You should give yourself a HUGE pat on the back for a job very well done!!

I cant wait,to see yournew site,and the Found Cat Angels,are eager too.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Sadly All I get on the Libray Computer is this Page Cannot Be Displayed! MEEEEW HOOOO!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Thank you very much everyone - for your comments and for signing the guest book!

Gary, I'm sorry you couldn't load the page, I have no idea why it wasn't working!

PIT, I have to admit I simply forgot the thing with the washing machines and dryers, and it's true, it IS a huge danger; a friend of mine has once lost a cat in a dryer.

I think I mentioned cat gras somewhere else, but not in the paragraph about toxic house plants, that's true. I'll add that info.

About neutering/spaying: actually I was referring to both indoor and outdoor cats, but maybe I did not point that out clearly enough. I've mentioned indoor cats at the end of the article.

I'm not sure about the average life span of indoor/outdoor cats; I've got that info from a website. We also had a discussion here on this subject, but I guess it's hard to get the correct numbers.

Kirsten

I love the website Kristen. Its very informative and just want everyone needs to know about having a cat in their lives.

A positive attitude may not solve allyour problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.-Herm Albright

Originally posted by Kirsten
    I'm not sure about the average life span of indoor/outdoor cats; I've got that info from a website. We also had a discussion here on this subject, but I guess it's hard to get the correct numbers.
    I have also seen many USA sites quote the wrong number of years for inside/outside cats. But I researched this myself for my website and here are the three types cats lifestyle and their potential life expectancy.

An inside only cat has an average life span of 18 to 20 years.
    An inside/outside cat has an average life span of 16 to 18 years.
    An outside only cat (ferals /strays) has an average life span of 5 years to 7 years. This depends on food and shelter available

These are a couple of English sites, which refer ONLY to inside/outside cats lifespan…
    http://www.animals-at-risk-shelter.o...cat_kitten.htm
    http://www.valleyvets.co.uk/phc/straycats.htm
    http://www.mayhewanimalhome.org/animals/choose.html
    http://www.animalfriends.co.uk/press_release040902.html

I also know from real life experience that cats frequently live to 18 years or older in England. My childhood cat dies at 18 years after dying due to kidney disease…nothing to do with her inside/outside lifestyle.

I know you want to promote inside living and that is understandable but you can still do this AND quote the correct figures for inside/outside cat’s life expectancy.

PIF

Great job. Very informative.