Thread: Is this normal?

Is this normal?

When ever someone yells Snowball gets really scared and starts to shake and run as far away from that person as possible... Is it normal? She has been doing this since she was a pup.... I dont know if something happened at her first home (which was the one she was born into)... please help...

~*Becky*~

RIP Stormy
    RIP Sky

Some dogs are just like that but something could have heppened to her in her previous home.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

Could be..or just her temperment..she doesn't like the high pitch maybe?

My dog

My dog is totally afraid of people. Everytime she is outside in the yard, if she even hears someone walking down the street, she screams! Weird don't you think, and she growls and barks at my parents, in a mean way I think. I don't understand the things that animals do sometimes.

my dog shakes also when someone shouts

If she wasn't socialize properly as a very young puppy, then yes, it's perfectly normal. The window for socialization closes at 16 weeks. After that it's a very difficult, long, slow process. If something scared her then, if she wasn't exposed to tons of stuff, if she was abused, then her reaction is normal. Also, if her mother had a timid temperment, it's normal and even harder to overcome than lack of socialization. I have three dogs here who are genetically shy. They've come a long way, but they will never be brave, outgoing dogs.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I have a dog that is just like that... we were wondering about it and when we did some research and asked around about his last home we found out that his previous owners were very abusive to him and his brothers and sisters.
    ChAwnY09

It most likely something to do with her last home. Some dogs are just very jumpy. Perhaps you should use another form of punishment?

Thank you joanofark for the great siggy

I have a Cairn terrier that is also shy or timid. She cowers and tucks her tail when ever someone raises their voice or she hears a loud noise. I think it is just genetic with her because this is the 3rd Cairn I bought from the same breeder and all the others are very outgoing. She is also a quiet girl that has never let out a peep in her crate--even the very first night we brought her home when she was 8 weeks old. I think of them like people and everyone has a different personality. Some people are talkative, demanding, loud, quiet or soft spoken. That is her in people terms--shy, quiet, gentle, low keyed, and very soft spoken BUT absolutely NORMAL for her and I love her for it. She is a very peaceful dog!

Maybe you can try to desensitize her to yelling by speaking loudly to her that she's a good girl, and over a period of time raising your voice around her when you're praising her. She might begin to associate loudness with excitement and fun . Yes, it could be her previous home, or she could just be a very sensitive and shy dog... Gonzo was extremely scared when anyone would raise their hand up anywhere near him, he would shrink down and look really pitiful. I *know* his breeder was very rough with him when he was young, and probably hit him atleast a few times before we got him when he was 8 months. Now, after a lot of patience and desensitizing, whenever anyone raises their hand he jumps around and gets excited because he thinks youre about to throw a ball...

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz